Eric Woolfson co-founder of Alan Parsons Project died. RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8392805.stm

Co-founded Alan Parson Project and wrote most of the songs and sang on some of their best songs. Was also an accomplished keyboard player as well as being a lawyer.

The music world has lost a great talent. Died of cancer on Dec 2, 2009. Sad to see him go.

In his words, "And I will live forevermore--If you remember me, I am immortal!"

RIP

A nice tribute by Alan Parsons:
http://www.alanparsonsmusic.com/

It is with great sadness that I announce that Eric Woolfson, the other half of the Alan Parsons Project died on December 2.

I knew of Eric's illness, but bravely, he always asked that it not be made public.

Eric was one of the most generous, musically gifted and knowledgeable people I ever met. He was also - and I mean no disrespect - the most stubborn individual to set foot on the planet - a trait which made him a great businessman.

His songwriting talent speaks for itself. He not only wrote the majority of the songs we recorded together but after we had two or three albums under our belts he proved - contrary to my own opinions - that he had a singing voice that would be loved by millions. He never let me forget that I actually disliked Eye In The Sky when he first played it to me - arguably my most famous mistake.

One newspaper rather cruelly, but nevertheless to Eric's amusement, referred to him as "The Songwriting Accountant" . It was also once said that in his music business dealings he managed to achieve the sale of the Eiffel tower and then having done it, sold it again.

It is a regret to me that after 15 years of million-selling successes, that his decision to step from the shadows and into the limelight for his first real solo moment of musical glory - Freudiana - was so plagued with personal conflicts with his business partners. Ultimately and sadly, Freudiana was the last occasion we worked together. Speaking of Limelight - my favourite song of Eric's - was according to him no reflection on his own reaction to stardom or the lack of it. But anyone who knew him will surely agree that upon hearing Limelight's lyrics that there is a message about his feelings in his chosen profession.

The hiccup that the Freudiana debacle caused, fortunately had no long-lasting effect and he continued in musical theatre with notable success, particularly in Germany, Austria and the Far East.

I look back upon our times together making The Alan Parsons Projects very fondly. The legacy that Eric created as half of The Alan Parsons Project lived on with a lasting power few artists have ever enjoyed - and I will always be grateful for that.

His singing can be heard on some of their best hits:
Eye in the sky
Time
Don't Answer me

Status
Not open for further replies.