Epson printer no longer recogonizes ink cartridges. any ideas??

Feb 12, 2005
HI,

I have a epson cx 5400 printer. Generic carts. I went to print something out tonight and it gave me an error. it said there was a error with all 4 ink cartridges. It's like it didn't even know they where there. So, I took them all, out cleaned all the chip contacts on the printer and carts. Now it just says there is an error with 2 of them. Everything worked fine 3 days ago.

Time for a new printer or should I try a new carts?? Thanks,

jason

Seekermeister

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2006
It's been a long time since I have dealt with an Epson, but I believe that the header is separate from the ink cartridges, and that would leave three possibilities...dirty header, incompatable cartridges or damaged header. Do you have any spare cartridges to test with?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Are you using the Staples cartridges?

I have had issues with a few of them. It is a crapshoot and there is the possibility it could be the printer. Get the Staples cartridges install them if they don't work take them back. That is what I do. I have the Stylus CX5400 all in one printer and I love it... I have never had a problem with returns to Staples.

pcgeek11

Feb 12, 2005
no staples carts.got them from MSI inks.

I got some carts from staples this afternoon. Some progress, now just yellow does not work.

time for a new printer I guess.

Feb 12, 2005
Well, I took thye carts back to staples. The guy said I could try some epson carts and return them if it still didn't work. Well it worked,go figure.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Originally posted by: littlej
Well, I took thye carts back to staples. The guy said I could try some epson carts and return them if it still didn't work. Well it worked,go figure.

Staples are usually pretty good about returns, good for ya!

pcgeek11

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Thats why I never buy 3rd party cart for my epson 1280. Never know WTH will happen. IMO its worth the extra $$$ for compatability. Glad all is working for you.