EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles) Memory

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
I'm thinking of getting an Asus P5N32-E 680i motherboard, which I believe supports memory with EPP. As I understand it, EPP basically puts more information about the memory, such as the optimal settings, on the memory. It allows the computer to automatically set the right timings and even overclock the computer.

I'm new to overclocking, and the one thing that scares me the most is the memory. There are so many timing settings that I don't understand. Would EPP memory make life easier for me? Also, I hear often that automatic overclocks don't reach the maximum potential of the hardware and are usually pretty modest.

What are the (actual) benifits of EPP when overclocking and setting up a computer in general? How would it be different from memory without EPP? Any help would be appreciated!
B.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
With almost all combinations of motherboards and RAM, EPP has to be turned off in the BIOS before being able to overclock much at all.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
oh, that's weird. I guess I don't really get what EPP is for then...

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
It's to entice "xtreme gamerz" and people who are looking for things like "SLi Ready RAM" and heatsinks with lights on.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
Alright, so not much of a point there. I think I might have been mixing it up with buffered memory or something...

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
AFAIK, EPP is just an extension of the SPD values encoded on the memory stick. If you have an SLI board with a BIOS that supports the feature, it can/will set your memory timings a little more aggresively to give you an almost imperceptible performance increase.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
Yeah, I think I got EPP mixed up with ECC or something...