Epox 9npa+ Ultra s939 incorrect auto detect Vcore voltage for AMD 64?

TriggerHappy101

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
Hi, when I first got my gaming system over a year ago I remember that by default my Epox 9npa+ Ultra auto detected the default Vcore wrong and effectively over-volted my AMD 64 3700+ San Diego CPU by .1V. So I set my mobo to do a -.1V.

Now I decided to overclock my CPU and as of right now I am running at +0.0 voltage. However... Does this mean I am running a .1v+ over the factory set setting? When I use speed fan it reports my vcore voltage as 1.4 under full load by prime 95. (1.45 under no load.)

I basically want to know if I can push it (anther?) .1v to get a higher clock rate. Or would that effectively be .2v which could be a bad idea for my CPU (burn it up on stock HSF?)

Right now I have it running at 2,640 MHz with a x11 multiplier, 240 mhz bus speed, and a 960 HT link. I had to cut my RAM back to 2.5 CAS and according to CPUz the frequencey is 220MHz.

I just got done running prime 95 for 25 minutes w/out errors and my temp is 45ish.

In a nutshell, did EPOX fix the incorrect voltage setting in a BIOS update and I just dont know about it?

TriggerHappy101

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
Yes I know. Its updated. I need to know how far I am (if I am) overvolting my CPU when the Vcore is +0.0 (Off.)

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Just download SpeedFan, or install the voltage monitoring software that came with the motherboard, and see for yourself. They should read close to what your cpu is getting, since they report what it gets, not what is set in the BIOS.

edit: The monitoring software that came with your motherboard is called Core Center. It'll be on the CD that came with the board.

TriggerHappy101

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
Originally posted by: myocardia
Just download SpeedFan, or install the voltage monitoring software that came with the motherboard, and see for yourself. They should read close to what your cpu is getting, since they report what it gets, not what is set in the BIOS.

edit: The monitoring software that came with your motherboard is called Core Center. It'll be on the CD that came with the board.

"When I use speed fan it reports my vcore voltage as 1.4 under full load by prime 95 (1.45 under no load.) ."

........... ???

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
In that case, your vcore core is +/- .02v or so of 1.40v while you're under load, and +/- .02v of 1.45v when idle. That's some serious vdroop, but as long as it's working, don't complain. BTW, 1.50v is nothing for those chips-- that's only a 7% overvolt.