Epox 8RDA+ ... 64-bit or 128-bit?

Korporativ

Dec 29, 2001
I'm reading in the instillation guide that you can either install the ram in 128-bit or 64-bit modes. How do i know if the ram i'm using is 128-bit capable? I'm currently using 2 512 meg chips of Coarsair PC3200 (VS512MB400). I'll give a link to the ram on newegg if its needed?

Korporativ

Dec 29, 2001
Also, how is the onboard sound? I'm wondering if i should bother reinstalling my Santa Cruz, or if i should just go with the onboard sound? Finaly, I was under the impression that with a barton core, the FSB was 333? I'm hearing most people are running at a 166 FSB? Also, the jumper on the board is for 133/166, do I remove it to get it higher? heh.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
The modules that you bought will work for dual-channel mode, no problem. Just leave the middle memory slot vacant. The board has two 64-bit controllers, one hooked up to one slot, and the other one hooked up to the remaining two slots. They don't actually weld the two memory busses together to make a single 128-bit bus, but rather they load-balance between the two 64-bit busses. This is why you can run dual-channel with three modules on nForce2 :cool:

About the FSB speeds: 166MHz FSB is double-pumped, so when people say they are running 166MHz or 333MHz FSB, they're saying the same thing in two different ways.

Regarding the onboard audio, why not try both ways and see which one you like better :) If you do, I recommend using your Santa Cruz in the fourth slot PCI from the top and disabling the onboard MIDI, onboard gameport and onboard audio processing unit (APU) in the motherboard's BIOS, so they don't duplicate eachothers' efforts.