Epox 8kha+ - booting problem---please help

smokin711

Oct 17, 2001
Ok, so I got the Epox 8kha+ refurbished from Newegg, and these are my current specs:

1.33 Tbird,
256 DDR
Radeon 7200
maxtor HD on IDE 2
can't remember which 20x10x40 cdr on IDE 1

I also just flashed the bios to the official 1/8/02 version

I just installed windows 2k and for some reason right after the post my screen goes black and the computer does not boot from either the hd nor the cd nor the floppy when my hd is set to master on ide1, though everything is correctly identified in the bios. But when I switch my hd to IDE 2 and the cdr to IDE 1, then it boots correctly and the cdr also works.

Before this I had windows 98, and I had the HD on IDE1 and it booted up most of the time, however sometimes after a windows reset the same thing would happen, the screen would just go black after post so I'd turn the power off and then on and it would boot up fine.

Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? it's not the cable cause I tried a different one, could it be the onboard ide controller? or the HD?

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Did you set the FSB to 133 in the bios instead of using the jumper on the board? That could be your problem.

flood

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
if you want help, shouldnt you be asking in the "Technical Support" forum?

smokin711

Oct 17, 2001
I set the FSB on the board to 133, and I just checked my bios and I can't find where to change the FSB, but everywhere I saw the timing it's at 133 (like in the ram settings and cpu)

JKYamamoto

Oct 9, 1999
In the BIOS, check in the Frequency/Voltage Control. There, look for the CPU Clock and adjust to 133. I don't think that this is what your problem is. Sounds more like a problem with the IDE controller on the mainboard.

ASK THE COMMUNITY