Free games for the week thread

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
(Original Contents Changed to change thread into a new as the Original Content was just a starting link for the thread.)

This is the a thread for free games offered only.
Please state which storefront the free game is offered.
If its a Epic / Steam / GoG / Uplay / Battle.net it goes here.

-Moderator Aigo

I have stickied this thread so its easier for people to see.
This is NOT a thread for a publisher to offer free game direct.

PC Gaming Moderator Aigo

Last edited by a moderator:

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Indeed, it's a great game and nails the early 90's adventure humor perfectly. Now cue the "but I hate anything not Steam because it's not Steam and I don't want to be made to use another client" brigade, even though like past freebies like Subnautica, the game is virtually DRM-Free and can be made to run without any Epic client at all simply by creating a link directly to the game's .exe and adding an -EpicPortal command line switch... ;)

Reactions: rocketdiscs

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'll call your que, because still not worth it (to me) :)

A few old game freebies isn't going to be enough. If I was hurting for games, then maybe, but there is no shortage of games.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Grabbed this and Axiom Verge last week when it was offered for free. Missed out on Subnautica...

Not to derail the thread but is that Shadow Complex game any good?

• Love

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I don't understand why Epic keep giving me free games. I've already got this huge Steam library backlog, and they keep making it more hopeless that I'll ever catch up! (They even gave me Alien Isolation, which I'd previously bought in a Steam sale but hadn't got round to yet.) Now Rage 2 (when I still haven't got very far in Rage 1).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I don't understand why Epic keep giving me free games. I've already got this huge Steam library backlog, and they keep making it more hopeless that I'll ever catch up! (They even gave me Alien Isolation, which I'd previously bought in a Steam sale but hadn't got round to yet.) Now Rage 2 (when I still haven't got very far in Rage 1).

To draw people to their platform.

Which means its not doing so great.

Like, imagine if 7-11 was so desperate for customers they stared giving away slurpees just to get people in the door.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I have played exactly 0 of my free games. Can't even keep up

I know. It's annoying. I don't even have the disk space to install the things, but still they keep coming! How can I ever expect to catch up with my backlog if they keep giving me freebies? I also have to keep remembering I still have games (mostly freebies) on ubisoft and origin that I haven't even installed yet. Starting to wonder why I ever paid for games, if I'd known I was going to be deluged with free ones I probably wouldn't have bothered (especially Alien Isolation, which I now have two copies of)

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I know. It's annoying. I don't even have the disk space to install the things, but still they keep coming! How can I ever expect to catch up with my backlog if they keep giving me freebies? I also have to keep remembering I still have games (mostly freebies) on ubisoft and origin that I haven't even installed yet. Starting to wonder why I ever paid for games, if I'd known I was going to be deluged with free ones I probably wouldn't have bothered (especially Alien Isolation, which I now have two copies of)
Have you been grabbing the freebie Amazon Prime games (if you have Prime)? Go to Amazon and click Prime, scroll down to Explore Prime and click Gaming controller. You get several games and in game content monthly.

You used to get their games with Twitch and had to link your Twitch account to Amazon's. I assume that still works to grab the games and play but you can now grab the games through the link above and if you want to download/play the games they have a Amazon Games App that I haven't used yet.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Have you been grabbing the freebie Amazon Prime games (if you have Prime)? Go to Amazon and click Prime, scroll down to Explore Prime and click Gaming controller. You get several games and in game content monthly.

You used to get their games with Twitch and had to link your Twitch account to Amazon's. I assume that still works to grab the games and play but you can now grab the games through the link above and if you want to download/play the games they have a Amazon Games App that I haven't used yet.

Argh, more free games? I'd have to hire someone to play them for me to have any chance of getting through them! Truth is I have far too much 'stuff' to consume these days, and the limiting factor is feeling well enough to consume any of it.

I'm not on Prime, anyway. Had a free trial that I used to rush through the remaining free seasons of The Walking Dead, just to really get a sense of life's total bleakness and futility (as watching the coronavirus statistics update wasn't quite doing it). The pressure of knowing I had to get through them in time to cancel the trial before being charged added an extra level of tension to that show.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Argh, more free games? I'd have to hire someone to play them for me to have any chance of getting through them! Truth is I have far too much 'stuff' to consume these days, and the limiting factor is feeling well enough to consume any of it.

I'm not on Prime, anyway. Had a free trial that I used to rush through the remaining free seasons of The Walking Dead, just to really get a sense of life's total bleakness and futility (as watching the coronavirus statistics update wasn't quite doing it). The pressure of knowing I had to get through them in time to cancel the trial before being charged added an extra level of tension to that show.
I understand. Between Prime gaming and Epic freebies I must have 300 games and I haven't installed any of them. I have a ton more games on other clients and just have no interest in starting something new.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I have played exactly 0 of my free games.

Same here. Plus, I am not going to install another launcher. I have Steam and GOG and I am not adding a third. However, I do pickup some of Epic's free games through their website. Maybe one day they will figure out a way to let people use their games without their launcher.

-KeithP

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
If this thread hits enough views, i may consider stickying it and changing the title so it applies to any free game.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
To draw people to their platform.

Which means its not doing so great.

Like, imagine if 7-11 was so desperate for customers they stared giving away slurpees just to get people in the door.

Yeah but they’ve been giving games away for a while now and some are gems. What I don‘t get is they are a filthy rich company so like, um why not just build a better platform? Something is fishy. It‘s not like it would be hard to topple Steam if that’s the intent. Steam hasn’t been updated since the dawn of the dinosaur...

Seriously whichever company puts out a new Half Life or Unreal Tournament wins fans for life. These digital stores are just distractions.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Yeah but they’ve been giving games away for a while now and some are gems. What I don‘t get is they are a filthy rich company so like, um why not just build a better platform? Something is fishy. It‘s not like it would be hard to topple Steam if that’s the intent. Steam hasn’t been updated since the dawn of the dinosaur...

Seriously whichever company puts out a new Half Life or Unreal Tournament wins fans for life. These digital stores are just distractions.
they're too busy printing money by being a storefront (steam) or having a killer game (fortnite) and being a storefront

Reactions: paperfist

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

I'm a Prime member...I had no idea they were giving away free stuff. Thanks for the link!

Reactions: balloonshark

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Unfortunately, playing catch-up takes time. You can ask Microsoft about that in regard to Windows Phone. They released their mobile OS without copy/paste, which was actually the same as iOS and Android, but those two had added it in by that point. So, regardless of the benefits of the OS, it was always seen as inferior. So, what Microsoft would've needed was a way to stay relevant even with obvious deficiencies. That's the way I look at Epic and how they give out free games.

The one negative thing that I ran into (last I checked) was that Epic gives out so many free games that my library feels far too cluttered for their view. I don't recall there being a good list-style view, but I might need to look harder. I've also found that their storefront/app comes across a bit more form over function than I'd prefer.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Sunless Sea is the freebie this week from now until Mar 04 at 11:00 AM.

That's not a free game, it's torture :D

Unfortunately, playing catch-up takes time. You can ask Microsoft about that in regard to Windows Phone. They released their mobile OS without copy/paste, which was actually the same as iOS and Android, but those two had added it in by that point. So, regardless of the benefits of the OS, it was always seen as inferior. So, what Microsoft would've needed was a way to stay relevant even with obvious deficiencies. That's the way I look at Epic and how they give out free games.

The one negative thing that I ran into (last I checked) was that Epic gives out so many free games that my library feels far too cluttered for their view. I don't recall there being a good list-style view, but I might need to look harder. I've also found that their storefront/app comes across a bit more form over function than I'd prefer.

Well it should be a bit easier then building hardware and software. Epic just really needs a forum, feedback and early access :)

Then they can start tieing in Fortnight items into the store lol

• Haha
Reactions: balloonshark

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Wargames is free this week. Grab the free dlcs that comes along with the game if you wish.

3 out of 10: Season Two should be free starting April 8th.

Next week's game will be Surviving Mars

Last edited: