EOC Training

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
So we just had the City EOC training... let me tell you, that was quite interesting. That was the first one they had done in 10 years and I have to say, I am very impressed that everything went as smoothly as it did.

The training consisted of a simulation where a train derailed carrying tons of chlorine gas. No terrorist involvement, hot wheel broke I guess... We had to dispatch our field personnel and everything, cops were running around the city on fake calls... Public works was on the ground, fake freeway and road closures, planning and executing evacs, everything. City staff took to their roles in response mode. We, my co-worker and I, were there for any IT support. Luckily nothing happened, which made us look very good...

I guess now if there is any disaster, where EOC is activated city or county wide, or even federal when it is for our area, I have to report in to the PD...

I was not a basher of the way FEMA carried out the Katrina disaster... I figured a lot of stuff was hype with how bad they did. And I admit, things probably could have done better. But I have an entirely new understanding of what FEMA went through.

EOC = emergency operations center

Cliffs:
EOC training
was interesting and went well
IT looked good
whole knew understanding of FEMA's problems.