entry controls engineer interview tomorrow

BullsOnParade

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2003
I have an interview for an entry level controls engineering position with a predominantly IT oriented company that also has an engineering division. Their client is a united technologies subsidiary(aerospace). I'm not sure if I'd be doing controls on the clients manufacturing process or on their design.

What type of questions should i ask the interviewers, one is a high level it manager and the other a senior controls engineer. They use allen bradley gear throughout.

some I can think of:

Obvious questions regarding duties/responsibilities, workplace environment, types of industry specs i will need to maintain, documentation procedures, performance evaluations and evaluation cycle

types of training i will need to go through, industry codes, possibility for technical training possibilities for managerial training

possibilities for undertaking small projects on my own to develop leadership

travel requirements for the position...

I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. I got into controls after someone posted about it on AT a few years ago, so here I am!

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Entry control engineer? Is that the new PC term for a security guard? :p

BullsOnParade

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2003
I'm finishing up my BSEE, Systems and Controls specialization. Controls is turning an unstable real world process into a mathematical model and then applying and implementing a control law to it to maintain stability.

Leeroy

Jun 26, 2006
Ensure you won't have to deal with crap like Siemen's Step 7 software. The Rockwell Software for Allen Bradley controllers is nice, but Siemens is a POS.

BullsOnParade

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2003
Thanks for the input guys. I worked a little bit on Step 7 stuff for a lab, I really dislike block digramming and ladder logic, I'd much rather code it, of course I speak from an academic background, i'm sure the graphical approach has its merits especially since it seems like the only way to do things in industry. They were telling me that for one of their processes, they have ~2000 I/O and 30,000 lines of ladder logic in place.

The position is mainly a support role, 50% maintaining the control systems on the plant floor and 50% updating/revising existing control logic. I would prefer more of a control logic design type job but we'll see how this pans out. They said they'd be making me an offer this week.