Entrapment verdict: Canada’s anti-terror strategy found guilty

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
John Nuttall and Amanda Korody were found guilty of a terrorist crime manufactured by the police. That was the conclusion of the B.C. Supreme Court in its Friday decision to toss the prosecution from the courts. Justice Catherine Bruce’s indictment of police conduct was emphatic: “... the world has enough terrorists. We do not need the police to create more out of marginalized people who have neither the capacity nor sufficient motivation to do it themselves.” Mr. Nuttall and Ms. Korody were found guilty last summer of a plot to explode pressure-cooker bombs at the B.C. legislature. This was not, however, a plot that the police disrupted. Instead, RCMP “took two people who held terrorist beliefs but no apparent capacity or means to … carry through with their religiously motivated objective and they … moulded them into people who could, with significant and continuous supervision … by the police, play a small role in a terrorist offence.”
This was unequivocal entrapment – a defence that has never succeeded before in a Canadian terrorism trial.
​ ​The judgment is limited to its particular facts. It is about the police manufacturing a terrorist crime where the accused were isolated and hapless. The police will have more latitude in cases where the suspects are already plotting or when they have terror connections or skills that do not require the police to take them step by “baby step” through a plot.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...terror-strategy-found-guilty/article31213340/

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This is about every terrorist conviction in the US. The same story. Some idiot an informant rats out to the FBI. Then the FBI contacts the idiot, provides logistics and the idea. Then arrests him when he\she shows up to the manufactured terror plot.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
This is about every terrorist conviction in the US. The same story. Some idiot an informant rats out to the FBI. Then the FBI contacts the idiot, provides logistics and the idea. Then arrests him when he\she shows up to the manufactured terror plot.

Gotta justify their paychecks.

Nov 25, 2013
A couple of the cops got their credibility just roasted in the full judgement.

At one point in time there were around 200 people working the case. The money seems to have been pretty good.

RCMP racked up $900,000 in five months on B.C. terrorism case

"Documents obtained by The Canadian Press through a freedom-of-information request show the Mounties paid at least 200 people, mostly police officers, $911,090.54 for overtime work during the investigation, which was code named Project Souvenir."

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...0000-in-five-months-on-bc-terrorism-case.html

stormkroe

Golden Member
May 28, 2011
At one point in time there were around 200 people working the case. The money seems to have been pretty good.

RCMP racked up $900,000 in five months on B.C. terrorism case

"Documents obtained by The Canadian Press through a freedom-of-information request show the Mounties paid at least 200 people, mostly police officers, $911,090.54 for overtime work during the investigation, which was code named Project Souvenir."

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...0000-in-five-months-on-bc-terrorism-case.html

This makes me want to not donate to the RCMP. Sigh.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
From another site:
The judge noted that while the couple does adhere to extremist views that advocate violence to send political messages, police overstepped the bounds of their authority in their interactions with the pair.

IF this couple does engage in a terrorist act in the future that ends in death, I would like to see this judge charged as a terrorist along with the couple. These FUCKERS planted a device that they thought would kill innocent people. That is just about everything I need to know.

Nov 25, 2013
From another site:

IF this couple does engage in a terrorist act in the future that ends in death, I would like to see this judge charged as a terrorist along with the couple. These FUCKERS planted a device that they thought would kill innocent people. That is just about everything I need to know.

No it doesn't tell you shit.

Tone down the hysteria and maybe take some time to research this case.

This is the absolute correct decision by the court. If the police hadn't pumped these two up and created pretty much the entire scenario they'd still be in their basement apartment trying to figure out how to tie their shoes.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
From another site:

I think these people should be on probation but that is about it. Environment plays a big role in what people are willing to do. When you have hundreds of police guiding you to a goal, it becomes far more likely that something will happen.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I think these people should be on probation but that is about it. Environment plays a big role in what people are willing to do. When you have hundreds of police guiding you to a goal, it becomes far more likely that something will happen.

You could have the entire country guiding to me to detonating a terrorist device and all they would get for their efforts would be me turning them into the FBI. I would not surprised in the least to see these two twits engaged in a terrorist attack in the future. The pool of people willing to plant explosive devices to kill the innocent is tiny. One of the requirements of this pool is sociopathy. These amoral monsters are bent.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
It did not pass my attention that the defendants in this case were WHITE. Perhaps this is an instance of white privilege. I suspect if the defendants were brown, this reversal would never have occurred.

Nov 25, 2013
You could have the entire country guiding to me to detonating a terrorist device and all they would get for their efforts would be me turning them into the FBI. I would not surprised in the least to see these two twits engaged in a terrorist attack in the future. The pool of people willing to plant explosive devices to kill the innocent is tiny. One of the requirements of this pool is sociopathy. These amoral monsters are bent.

Your hysteria and ignorance have been noted and dismissed. Worry about the boogeymen under your bed. It will be far more productive.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Every case involving a sting operation is different. Whether or not it's entrapment depends on the ability and willingness of the defendants to carry out a plot on their own. It isn't entrapment just because the police suggest it. This particular case in Canada does indeed sound an awful lot like entrapment. Other cases should be addressed individually.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Nov 25, 2013
A person with mental health issues that was developmentally behind can easily be taken advantage of. Guy knew little to nothing about "Islam" but knew it was associated to terrorism and latched onto it.

The worst part was that the police paid this guy to carry out tasks. Amazing.

No, the worst part is that the police created/promoted this situation in the 1st place.

Nov 25, 2013
Slow down. I was referring to their tactics in terms of entrapment.

Sorry, I thought it better to take it back to the 1st step.

Everything else aside, it was a good judicial decision that hopefully will teach the RCMP a lesson. Unfortunately it's not an organization that seems all that wiling to learn so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

aside: btw, thanks for indulging my curiosity the other day. It was appreciated. :)

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Every case involving a sting operation is different. Whether or not it's entrapment depends on the ability and willingness of the defendants to carry out a plot on their own. It isn't entrapment just because the police suggest it. This particular case in Canada does indeed sound an awful lot like entrapment. Other cases should be addressed individually.

Totally agree with this.

There are legit sting operations, and it's one of the few law enforcement tactics that's ever going to stop terror and mass murder suspects *before* the fact. (Until such time as crystal balls and minority report gear is perfected.)

This doesn't appear to be a legit one.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Sorry, I thought it better to take it back to the 1st step.

Everything else aside, it was a good judicial decision that hopefully will teach the RCMP a lesson. Unfortunately it's not an organization that seems all that wiling to learn so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

aside: btw, thanks for indulging my curiosity the other day. It was appreciated. :)

I love information and giving it out is fun too.

I am all for stopping terrorism, but good intentions do not excuse something like this. I would bet that up and down people were trying to be part of stopping terrorism. Its usually a power trip thing and a way to get glory.

All they had to do was watch the guy.