Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - out on PC now!

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
http://store.steampowered.com/app/245280/

I sooo wanted to play this game. Played the demo on my Xbox but I just couldn't stomach buying it without playing in full graphical glory. Also, was getting sick of my Xbox at that time... Loved the story premise (I'm a sucker for such games - I loved the 2008 Prince of Persia to death :) ).

The game's out now on PC :D Has all the additional stuff that came out for the consoles too. Played it for two hours and loved every minute!! And it's only 20€ :) Runs buttery smooth too (see sig). You need to get used to the controls a bit (they're not as "free" as in Prince of Persia for example), but after a minute or two you get used to them. It's not that they're bad, they're just different.

Word of warning - there are absolutely NO graphical settings in game, besides resolution. You'll need to edit the MonkeyEngine.ini file to tweak it (it's using Unreal Engine). And for the love of all that is holy, turn off motion blur. I don't mind motion blur in general in games, but the version here is so bad and so distracting that it's crazy. Luckily you can turn it off in the .ini :)

Last edited:

MBrown

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
I saw this. I was thinking about picking it up. I had it on 360 but I never finished it before I got rid of it.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I saw this. I was thinking about picking it up. I had it on 360 but I never finished it before I got rid of it.

I played some more hours. The game is totally awesome, especially the story! Well worth the 20€ (or whatever it costs over there, I guess $20?).

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Wishlisted. I have soooooo many games to get through right now, I just don't have time. But, it looks like something I would enjoy, so it's next on my list to pick up.

Sep 24, 2013
Personally I'm not getting this, feels like a total money grab, the game received allot of good reviews but sold poorly on the consoles( Namco needed 1m to make a profit out of it and it sold less then a Million (970k)), My guess is Namco is just trying to cash in to make some more money, if they had release this to PC also when it launch, I would probably have bought it for full price, now that is 3 years later...nope

Not saying you shouldn't buy it, this is just my personal opinion.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Personally I'm not getting this, feels like a total money grab, the game received allot of good reviews but sold poorly on the consoles( Namco needed 1m to make a profit out of it and it sold less then a Million (970k)), My guess is Namco is just trying to cash in to make some more money, if they had release this to PC also when it launch, I would probably have bought it for full price, now that is 3 years later...nope

Not saying you shouldn't buy it, this is just my personal opinion.

Perhaps it is a money grab, but I am just happy they released the game on PC and I can enjoy it too the fullest. The story really sucked me in and it's a joy to play. Also - no motion blur, no jaggies, 60FPS and using my Xbox 360 controller to play it on my 40" TV = win! And it was only 20 euros.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Who cares if it's a money grab, that's what company's do. Even if you consider it a money grab, I don't understand your thought process. It's 4 years old and Namco has now decided to sell it on PC, and that makes it wrong? Oh, well.

Sep 24, 2013
Who cares if it's a money grab, that's what company's do. Even if you consider it a money grab, I don't understand your thought process. It's 4 years old and Namco has now decided to sell it on PC, and that makes it wrong? Oh, well.

Apparently I do, It shows little regard with the PC Community and this is not the 1st time Publishers do this with PC Gamers, so yes I prefer not to give my money to them, has a form of disapproval. Has I said before its my personal opinion.....

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Played it a bit more - I'm in chapter 9 now (around the middle of it). I guess it's around the middle of the game too and I've been playing over 5 hours. So good length :)

There's an annoying moment now where I have to use the Cloud (a hovering disc thingy) to get to some turrets and there are tech orbs between some mines (I need MOAR ORBZ!). The Cloud isn't really cooperating that well and I'm dying to the mines... no quick save so each time I mess up, I start at the beginning of the checkpoint. A bit annoying...

Still love the story :) And the game in general.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Liked the demo when I played it on the xbox. Without any graphics settings it sounds like it might not be the best port, but I might look at it given a sale.

Jun 24, 2012
I suspect this is Namco trying something "new" with something old. I'd imagine they're looking to see if old games on console that never saw PC ports can sell well with minimal investment. This could be especially relevant if by porting to PC they've made a version that can be made for next gen consoles digital, too.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I remember when Gamespot was inundated with ads for this game a few years ago, and I was really interested. I must have gotten busy or something, because I lost track of it. But I never forgot about it.

I even tried to google it, but I couldn't remember the name. I thought "savage" was in the title iirc. It's cool to see it again.

But $20, after all of this time? I'll wait a few weeks until its $9.99.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Finished the game. I really enjoyed it :) Though the ending did feel kinda rushed and there was no resolution in terms of the two main characters... which is a bummer. I don't think there will be a sequel either to answer some of the other questions (I read somewhere the game didn't sell well enough) :(