Enough of the Swine Flu hysteria already...

Jun 27, 2005
Manufactured hysteria at it's finest

GENEVA (Reuters) - The number of confirmed cases of the new Influenza A (H1N1) flu has risen to 10,243 and the death toll has edged up to 80, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday.
Most of the new cases are in the United States, which has seen 5,469 outbreaks of the virus so far, the WHO said as it focuses on the H1N1 virus that has brought the world to the brink of a pandemic. :disgust:

Another 51 cases have also been reported in Japan, bringing the total number of cases there to 210 and potentially making it more likely that the WHO will declare a full pandemic after it raised its pandemic alert last month to 5 on a 6-level scale.

So... half the cases are in the US and the survivability rate of this God-awful disease is a staggeringly frightening [/sarcasm] 99.3%? I've been putting up with this panic crap for weeks now. People are cancelling vacations. My own office manager is worried about catching it now that *gasp* 40 cases were discovered here in Hawaii. And what was the Dr recommendation to each one of them? Stay home until you feel better. Sounds dangerous.

The whole thing would be laughable if it weren't so stupid and so many people weren't buying into it hook line and sinker. It reminds me of the SARS episode of South Park when Stan's dad gave his son instructions on what to do if he didn't survive... because there was only a 97% chance he was going to pull through.

Folks... THERE IS NO PROBLEM HERE. If there is, please point it out. If anything this is a great opportunity to study how a disease crops up in one place and spreads to others. It's an opportunity to practice preventing the spread of illness from one continent to another. Right now it seems to be used as little more than fear mongering.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I tripped this morning on the way into my office. My right knee is kinda skinned up and bled a little. Do I have swine flu?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The media does a huge disservice to the nation when they hype this shit. Because if we ever have a 1918 flu like pandemic people wont believe it. In this case it didnt help our govt shit themselves without knowing the full extent of the virus. Just put out a health emergency declaration on a virus that infected 41 people. It just fed the media frenzy.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Try being in a drug store the week after this came out. Talk about stupid people.

People trying to buy tamiflu... umm you need a prescription... oh, but the news said...

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I just booked my tickets to Cabo for October. If I dont come back, you guys can have all my things.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: OCguy
I just booked my tickets to Cabo for October. If I dont come back, you guys can have all my things.
Who will take your place as designated crazy ass right wing poster???

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Blame the media, they latch onto stuff like this and don't let go.

I do find it funny, though. Turns out the new H1N1 strain is no more deadly than seasonal flu, yet the media is still covering it. Just drop it until there's a mutation or something that's actually dangerous.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

No right-winger here. I think youve had that position locked up since 7/28/06. Or was that Winnar? Oh well.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I gave up my title a while back. :)

Winnar was just a troll, but there are a few other right wingers who make me seem mainstream.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Have to use it to your advantage. Don't want to wait in line long at the store ? Walk up and start coughing .

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
people are retarded. Half this board was sitting in their basements with candles, a am radio and a bucket of costco food rations.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
people are retarded. Half this board was sitting in their basements with candles, a am radio and a bucket of costco food rations.

Well we must have also had internet connections to continue posting during the hysteria.

Also dont forget some of us had bibles and guns to cling to. Yeah I went there :D

dsity

Jan 5, 2005
Originally posted by: teclis1023
your subtitle should really be, "get a grippe"

hehe

yep, this is exactly what i thought. op fails for not doing it to begin with. lock this thread

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Genx87

Well we must have also had internet connections to continue posting during the hysteria.

Also dont forget some of us had bibles and guns to cling to. Yeah I went there :D

Don't know about the bible, but I know where the gun is.

As for panic, this was back when Mexico reported far too many deaths and far too few official cases. This led to a believed mortality rate that was far higher than 1918. Now that we have accurate reporting of the deaths, it appears to be little more than the common flu.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

So... half the cases are in the US and the survivability rate of this God-awful disease is a staggeringly frightening [/sarcasm] 99.3%? I've been putting up with this panic crap for weeks now. People are cancelling vacations. My own office manager is worried about catching it now that *gasp* 40 cases were discovered here in Hawaii. And what was the Dr recommendation to each one of them? Stay home until you feel better. Sounds dangerous.

What's dangerous is your pathetic lack of knowledge of the epidemiology of influenza and related diseases. So far, there haven't been an extraordinary number of deaths related to H1N1, but if you knew anything about the subject, you'd know there are several reasons this COULD pose a major threat:

1. Influenza often mutates during its intial outbreak. We have no reason to think this could not happen with the H1N1 strain.

2. It happened to break out in the northern hemisphere well after the normal winter flu season. Health officials are concerned that it could return next fall and winter flu season and spread much further with much greater virulence.

3. They will be closely watching what happens in the southern hemisphere which is just coming up on its winter flu season. That will give the disease more targets which to mutate in other environments. Since we know we should be watching it, it will also give us a lot more information about what to expect and how to deal with it.

Be VERY glad nations around the world are taking this very seriously. It could be relatively benign, or it could follow the worst case scenario or anything in between. The only difference between this disease and others is that, in this case, we have enough scientific knowledge about influenza to be able to monitor it and understand its behavior and possibly enough time to act to avoid a potential global health emergency. That beats the alternative of ignoring it and suffering possibly catastrophic consequenses that could have been prevented.

Originally posted by: teclis1023

your subtitle should really be, "get a grippe"

hehe

:laugh: WAAAY too subtle for the brain dead crowd.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
. . . . . More deep thinking from our resident Brainiacs. This thread should be *stickied* for posterity.

An influenza virus reproduces every 8 hours and seldom do cross-infections between species occur. The 'swine' portion of this virus was first found in North Carolina in 1998 (You're Welcome!). Though a human can contract an animal virus seldom does the human then transmit the virus to other humans.

Not. This. Time.

Instead of a typical annual influenza drift this virus had an antigenic shift, hence the H*1* - N*1* designation. Because of the rapid reproduction researchers cannot predict (at this time) how and when a deadly mutation may develop. It is possible that a vaccine may be developed today (or in the next few months) that will have little or no effect on the mutated influenza virus that works its way back around this Fall because an individual's immune system will have no antibody memory against the new mutated virus.

Leading to the possibility of one of those cyclical pandemics - or not.

We will never determine 100% whether the actions taken this Spring prevented a pandemic either now or possibly in the Fall. 'Patient Zero' may very well be walking around today with the mutated proteins that will kick our asses.

That's why it is critical to play it safe. The next Great Pandemic could easily kill 100 million people in today's connected world.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

While you're a bit less extreme than some, I think you fit the job description pretty well PJ.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003

Replace candle with a desk lamp and the AM radio with a notebook PC with WIFI and it is no different than normal AT life.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
I actually have something flu-like right now (have for the past 2 days). Wonder if it's the swine flu?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Manufactured hysteria at it's finest

GENEVA (Reuters) - The number of confirmed cases of the new Influenza A (H1N1) flu has risen to 10,243 and the death toll has edged up to 80, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday.
Most of the new cases are in the United States, which has seen 5,469 outbreaks of the virus so far, the WHO said as it focuses on the H1N1 virus that has brought the world to the brink of a pandemic. :disgust:

Another 51 cases have also been reported in Japan, bringing the total number of cases there to 210 and potentially making it more likely that the WHO will declare a full pandemic after it raised its pandemic alert last month to 5 on a 6-level scale.

The whole thing would be laughable if it weren't so stupid and so many people weren't buying into it hook line and sinker. It reminds me of the SARS episode of South Park when Stan's dad gave his son instructions on what to do if he didn't survive... because there was only a 97% chance he was going to pull through.

Folks... THERE IS NO PROBLEM HERE. If there is, please point it out. If anything this is a great opportunity to study how a disease crops up in one place and spreads to others. It's an opportunity to practice preventing the spread of illness from one continent to another. Right now it seems to be used as little more than fear mongering.

How would you have handled this situation?