enlightened/clarify this

quiz

Jul 11, 2003
hi all, I wanna learn this thing. How do you overclock? and how can you tell if it's overclockable? What tools do you need to do this stuff? Link or text to do this stuff? Thanks in advance.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Are you familiar with what I'm referring to if I talk about "going into your motherboard's BIOS?" Most of the procedures for overclocking amount to changing some settings in the motherboard's BIOS menus, to increase the speed at which the CPU operates. Some other settings are adjusted to ensure that other parts of the computer aren't adversly affected as a result of an overclocked CPU.

Better-than-stock cooling is often used to absorb the increased heat output of an overclocked CPU in order to keep it from locking up or being damaged. A high-quality power supply that provides ample, well-regulated power is another tool often chosen. Memory modules that are designed to run at high speed are often used as well, to allow more headroom for the CPU and motherboard to run above their stock speed.

The CPUs themselves come in different "builds" and entirely different core versions too, some of which are statistically likely to be good overclocking choices. AthlonXP 1700+'s with the Thoroughbred core and the B revision are one such, and Pentium4 1.6A's were another.

Hope that helps a little. :D