English version of Aljazeera site is up.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
This just came online (they've had an 'under construction' notice for weeks).

Interesting to see the Arab perspective of things.
To be honest, I'm surprised that it's as objective as it is. (just being honest.... :D )

Still buggy though....as the poll doesn't seem to work.

click

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Hey is it any suprise really? English? It IS close to being THE news source for our 51st state - Iraq. :)

Before you know it, they'll report that Iraqi's are campaigning for George W. Bush to be their Governor or "President" ... lol

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Good find!

Aljazeera has been much demonized because it represents a POV of many Arabs. Often, that POV does not match up with those who want it to be the same as the US.

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002
It looks like everything is as expected. If I remember correctly, Al Jazeera has hired ex-BBC people to run the English section. The Green Card article is a real gem - quoting George Galloway as a primary source. I won't bother to try to address the whole thing but the fact that 40,000 US soldiers are immigrants that have not gained citizenship is nothing new or unexpected. Since the US citizenship process often takes 10 years or more, it is not surprising that a number of soldiers are green card holders. His "statistic" that 40% of the Army was black in Vietnam is laughable. The actual number was closer to 15% and the black casualties were about 13% as I recall.

Al Jazeera continues to set new standards for journalistic accuracy.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Aljazeera has been much demonized because it represents a POV of many Arabs.

No one has "demonized" Al Jazeera for representing Arab point of views, quite the opposite in fact - Al Jazeera presents a refreshing change in journalism in the Middle East, one that isn't controlled by the State or any religious sect. Sure, they went against the wishes of the US and Britain by showing pics of our dead troops, but I don't see that as any different as us showing pics of mangled Iraqis on our news. And as Al Jazeera so succintly put it, the Geneva Convention applies to governments, not news organizations. Don't forget they also told the Iraqi Information Ministry to piss up a tree when it tried to filter Al Jazeera's content.
Their content may not always be completely inpartial - but is ours? Al Jazeera is a model for other Arab nations - the quicker they modernize and (forgive the term) Westernize, the sooner all the rest of the dictators can't selectively feed their populations only what they want them to hear.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: kage69

No one has "demonized" Al Jazeera for representing Arab point of views, quite the opposite in fact - Al Jazeera presents a refreshing change in journalism in the Middle East, one that isn't controlled by the State or any religious sect. Sure, they went against the wishes of the US and Britain by showing pics of our dead troops, but I don't see that as any different as us showing pics of mangled Iraqis on our news. And as Al Jazeera so succintly put it, the Geneva Convention applies to governments, not news organizations. Don't forget they also told the Iraqi Information Ministry to piss up a tree when it tried to filter Al Jazeera's content.
Their content may not always be completely inpartial - but is ours? Al Jazeera is a model for other Arab nations - the quicker they modernize and (forgive the term) Westernize, the sooner all the rest of the dictators can't selectively feed their populations only what they want them to hear.

The demonized comment comes from threads found here before and during the war. Al Jazeera was criticized for taking a non-US stance. It reported on popular opinion in the Middle East as being against a war on Iraq, and it was promptly fried for having the audacity to do so.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The demonized comment comes from threads found here before and during the war. Al Jazeera was criticized for taking a non-US stance. It reported on popular opinion in the Middle East as being against a war on Iraq, and it was promptly fried for having the audacity to do so.

Threads found here? Ok, fair one, that hadn't occured to me. I do recall Fox in particular having a problem with Al Jazeera, and a few others, but that hardly constitutes widescale condemnation from the journalism community. What complaints I've seen and heard were far outnumbered by analysts and leaders commenting on how revolutionary and beneficial Al Jazeera is, considering the norm over there. Qatar sure has come a long way.

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
http://english.aljazeera.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article
Al-Jazeera re-launches English Web site
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) ? The Arab satellite station Al-Jazeera launched an English-language Web site Monday, five months after hackers brought down a temporary site at the height of the war in Iraq.
Susi Sirri, news coordinator and spokeswoman, said the site aims "to fill a niche for English speakers who want to get the other side of the story, the Arab perspective."

"We are following Al-Jazeera's model: opinion and counter-opinion. That is the motto of the (organization)," Sirri told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from Qatar.

The English site works closely with the television station and its Arabic Web site, launched in 2001, but also has its own staff of nearly 50 Western and Arab journalists, Sirri said.

A temporary version of English.aljazeera.net went online March 24 to cover the war but was soon brought down by hackers. The Arabic site also was unavailable for long periods during the war. (Related story: Man charged in Al-Jazeera hacking)

The hacker, John William Racine II, 24, of Norco, Calif., pleaded guilty in June to felony charges of wire fraud and unlawful interception of an electronic communication. He had intercepted e-mail and content from Al-Jazeera and rerouted users to another site showing the American flag and the phrase "Let Freedom Ring."

U.S., British and even Arab officials have criticized Al-Jazeera's coverage of events in the Middle East and its airing of al-Qaeda statements, accusing the station of sensationalism, bias, and incitement. Others in the region view it as a courageous addition to the Arab world's mostly state-run media.

Article

http://english.aljazeera.net

The real fun about reading news on Aljazeera is finding an article that does not mention the Islam hating / Arab killing / baby eating USA. Just look at cartoons as an example. or even the maps.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Originally posted by: kage69

Not to mention having both thier Afghanistan and Iraq HQ's "accidentaly" bombed by the US even though thery repeatedly told them where they would be. There is an excellent documentary on Al Jazeera done by the BBC, I highly recommend it if you get BBC International.

povertystruck

Aug 19, 2003
I like the aljazeera web site and I like the BBC news. Take a look at the cartoons on the aljazeera site, they really give you a sense of how arabs feal about jews and americans.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
To control its oil :
44%

Just shows how badly misinformed the Arabs are by their press.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: etech
To control its oil :
44%

To control its oil 44%

Just shows how badly misinformed the Americans are by their press.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Only idiots and the ignorant would contend that strategic concerns about Iraqi oil played no role in Bush's decision to invade.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Only idiots and the ignorant would contend that strategic concerns about Iraqi oil played no role in Bush's decision to invade.

It depends on what is ment by control. The idiot would apply to people that use the word steal in relation to Iraqi oil.

Yes, the oil was part of the equation. Oil would give Saddam billions of dollars to spend on new toys when the sanctions were lifted. Saddam proved that he would use his oil to hold the world hostage if he wished. Stable energy prices are important to every nation in the world and not just the US. Millions of people could die if Saddam started another war in the ME and cut off oil from that region for months.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce

Not to mention having both thier Afghanistan and Iraq HQ's "accidentaly" bombed by the US even though thery repeatedly told them where they would be. There is an excellent documentary on Al Jazeera done by the BBC, I highly recommend it if you get BBC International.
I knew of the Afghanistan bombing but wasn't aware that we bombed their Iraq office.

Oh well, in any event, the message should be quite clear then. :p

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Every single article mentions the USA or Isreal, usually both. Even one on a concert in Turkey.

Concert article

Panned by music critics for being as credible as George Bush?s claims of an imminent Iraqi nuclear threat, the annual Eurovision song contest will be held in Turkey next May.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
Originally posted by: BOBDN
Originally posted by: etech
To control its oil :
44%

To control its oil 44%

Just shows how badly misinformed the Americans are by their press.

if we went in trying to cntrol their oil, we are doing a pretty terrible job of it right now.