English grammar question

DMage

Jan 23, 2000
If I'm asked " Who will finance your trip?"

is myself correct? or self?

I'm bearing the expenses of the trip. So what is the correct way to answer such a question?

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002
Amazing how many people use "myself" incorrectly. It should not be used to answer this question, unless your answer is something like, "I will do it myself." Otherwise, the word "me" is fine.

Correct sentence: They loaned the car to Jim and me.
Incorrect sentence: They loaned the car to Jim and myself.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Midlander
Amazing how many people use "myself" incorrectly. It should not be used to answer this question, unless your answer is something like, "I will do it myself." Otherwise, the word "me" is fine.

Correct sentence: They loaned the car to Jim and me.
Incorrect sentence: They loaned the car to Jim and myself.
Only half correct.

Yes, "Myself." is a truly ignorant sounding answer. Anyone who can't see or hear that should say the whole sentence out loud, "Myself will." Catching on?

Otoh, "Me." is an equally ignorant answer. Again, say the whole sentence out loud: "Me will." Getting smarter?

Please, peeps, if any of you are ever asked a question along the lines of the OP's:

"Who will finance your trip?"

the grammatically correct answer is NOT:

"Myself" as in "Myself will."

nor is it:

"Me" as in "Me will"

"Myself" does almost no linguistic duty on it's own. It IS used for emphasis though. I, myself, have so used it. ;)

And "me" is an object, and can NEVER be used as a subject in any English sentence. That's why constructions like "Me and Jim will finance the trip" sound and are so retarded.

Subject ---> Verb ---> Object:

I throw a ball.

A ball is thrown to me.

Myself throws a ball? <--- No, Cletus, no.

But, "I throw a ball to myself.' is fine, because in this sentence "myself" is used to emphasize that it is I throwing the ball to me.

Don't get this last example? Then try saying this out loud, "Jim threw the ball to myself."

I hope you all get that the sentence above sounds stupid, simply because in this second example you don't need to substitute "myself" for "me" in order to emphasize that you are throwing the ball to yourself, because "Jim" is.