Engineers 3x more likley than peers to be terrorists.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I'd like to take this opportunity to bash engineers as a group. I've noticed more religious engineers than religious hard scientists. Engineers seem to be more interested in applying rules they apply without question as opposed to questioning old rules and generating new ones. This is a lot like how religion works in their daily lives. It's not really true (classical mechanics) but it gets them through their daily lives so they just keep going with it.
The reason why you've noticed something like that is likely because engineers are more common than hard scientists (I think) and you just live in an area where people are religious.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Good hypothesis. The best I can find on google says that engineers are generally LESS depressed than most.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/news/20071016/workers-depression-21-fields-ranked

You had a good hypothesis, but it has too many holes. While there are women suicide bombers out there, all of the 9/11 people were men, and engineers have some of the lowest rates of depression.

Nuke the entire middle east. Problem solved.

My own hypothesis is that engineers tend to have very black and white thinking. People are either good or evil, and there's always a bad guy. Engineers are also tend to think in the simplest terms possible; the best solution to a problem is the one that is the easiest to do and most likely to work. Artsy people like my girlfriend argue for complicated solutions to problems, but sciency people like me tend to think in simple terms. She'll argue for things like treatment groups for depressed people whereas I argue to drug everyone and legalize suicide. Artsy people try to make things politically correct such as changing "nuclear magnetic resonance imaging" to just "magnetic resonance imaging" (MRI) because idiots are afraid of the word nuclear. I've always argued the opposite - keep the word nuclear and let stupid people kill themselves by refusing to have this test done.

On an international level, the artsy way to fix US foreign policy is for Islamic countries to form better relations with the US and ask the US to leave the middle east. The more black and white engineering approach would be to kill thousands or millions of American civilians and force their politicians to pull out. After all, the US eventually did pull out of Vietnam after the civilian population in the US would no longer support the occupation of South Vietnam. A terrorist engineer understands this and think it can work for the middle east as well.

Tell your girlfriend that the problem with my hypothesis was that you were the one reading it and not her.

It doesn't matter if engineers are less depressed if Al Quaeda is recruting among engineers for their technical skills. It doesn't matter that women are more depressed. They are less violent in how they handle it. Etc.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Also a little known fact, Engineers are 100 percent more likely to be employed in the field of engineering....
the_more_you_know2.jpg

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
LOL

In most Muslim countries engineers are largely irrelevant. I'd guess you won't find a lot of engineer suicide bombers from Indonesia, Malaysia, or the Emirates, which actually value engineers and have work for them.

On a side note, my wife and I had a very interesting conversation with a very interesting Jordanian immigrant who told us something I would not have imagined. We were speaking of Chinese-made goods and how we avoid them. She said her brother left Jordan to seek work in Egypt while she came to the USA. Then she said some Chinese companies had built factories in Jordan. Kinda odd, I'm thinking. But the kicker is that all the employees are Chinese; the factories are self-contained little cities with all Chinese workers, with their own dedicated shops and schools. No Jordanians can even apply for the jobs; no Jordanians can even buy the goods manufactured, which are merely labeled "Made in Jordan" and shipped to Western nations. Makes me wonder how many times I've bought something labeled "Made in Jordan" or similar countries and unknowingly supported the same Chinese companies I try to avoid.

Its like the made in the USA clothing that is basically 90% completed in china then shipped to an american territory where its assembled by people in sweat shop like conditions (final seams etc) and stamped made in the usa.

Saw a pretty good video on this in my business law class.