Engineer version CPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
The seller was the one who said engineer version. The only thing I'm concerned about is how often, how long it was used.
I kind of feel weird about the situation. Still unsure what I'm going to do.

so you knew before you bought it?

Its not a engineering sample. Not sure what the issue is.

GRAFiZ

Jul 4, 2001
The seller was the one who said engineer version. The only thing I'm concerned about is how often, how long it was used.

Wait... you said you found out later it was an ES?

You mean you bought it, then a few days after the seller emailed you and said "hey man, the cpu you bought is an ES."

Maybe by "engineering version" he meant it was pulled out of a workstation or something.

As for how long it was used, or whatever, don't matter none, these modern CPU's, (even the CPU you have is modern) will run 10, 15 maybe 20 years before they just give up the ghost. Nothing to worry about. Assuming you don't overvolt it or something. ;)

PPB

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2013
Just use the damn CPU already. Running circles because someone's else morality is time wasted. Specially when you cant verify the user's morality with his RL actions because, well, it's a forum and you really don't know such user/s.

So back to the important deal: just use it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Why? If it works, it works. Plug it in, put on a cooler, and run some Prime95. If it fails, send it back to the seller as defective. Simple.

coolpurplefan

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2006
I don't know why I've seen assumptions here in this thread twice. The seller told me it was an "engineering sample" after I bought it. The seller may not even know what an engineering sample is. It was under the "new category" but somewhere in the description it said "clean pulled". The seller said it may have been tested. There are marks on it like someone installed it. It also looks like stain or something like it was pretty hot at one point and stained from the heat.

Please give me a break with the assumptions though. I thought I was being clear enough.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I don't know why I've seen assumptions here in this thread twice. The seller told me it was an "engineering sample" after I bought it. The seller may not even know what an engineering sample is. It was under the "new category" but somewhere in the description it said "clean pulled". The seller said it may have been tested. There are marks on it like someone installed it. It also looks like stain or something like it was pretty hot at one point and stained from the heat.

Please give me a break with the assumptions though. I thought I was being clear enough.

Seriously man never ever mention an engineer sample on these forums, big can of worms. If some people here had their way you would be hung drawn and quartered for crimes against nature, humanity and of course the intel corporation for having even layed hands on an engineering sample :rolleyes:

I can just visualise it... them slavering over the keyboard hammering in "but itshh not yourrrrssss!" "itshh stolen properteee! police plzz!!"

Funnily enough nobody gave a toss until some ebay seller got busted for selling hundreds of them. Use your chip, be happy, move on with life :thumbsup:

EDIT: Just read the most recent posts... you don't even have an ES! lol

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Seriously man never ever mention an engineer sample on these forums, big can of worms. If some people here had their way you would be hung drawn and quartered for crimes against nature, humanity and of course the intel corporation for having even layed hands on an engineering sample

I can just visualise it... them slavering over the keyboard hammering in "but itshh not yourrrrssss!" "itshh stolen properteee! police plzz!!"

ha. this.

this place seems to be infected with a fair amount of wasps.

coolpurplefan

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2006
LOL not even an ES chip at all!

Yes, I was fooled as well because I didn't know the difference.

Now for a slightly peculiar question. Since I received a CPU that had very slight scratches under the written area, is it possible for some new CPUs to be sold with light scratches?

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Even if it was an ES sample, I do not find it immoral to keep such old technology since I doubt Intel would be concerned.

Had it been an ES of a 4770k or a leaked 5770k or something recent, I would probably contact Intel if the seller was not willing to take a refund