Energy problem with 560Ti?

Jan 3, 2007
About 8 months ago I put together the following setup:

Core i7 2600 (no overclock)
3x2Gb DDR3
MSI GTX 560Ti
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 motherboard

At the time I used a Corsair VX 550W PSU to power it. The reviews on this PSU were very good, and a lot of people suggested it was more than enough.

Everything ran well for 3 months, when I started to have the following problem: Whenever I opened a game, shortly after the computer would hard crash, requiring a reset. There were no artifacts, no performance drops, no error messages, and the time needed to crash was dependant on the amount of 3D processing required (opening WoW, the computer would crash after 5 minutes, opening Crysis 2, it would crash after 10 seconds). I tested the card on a friend's computer which had a better PSU, and there were no problems.

So I blamed the PSU, and bought a Seasonic 750W (overkill, perhaps, but I wanted to be sure), and everything went back to normal, until now.

I started having the same problem again. When I open Skyrim, the computer crashes after half a second. When I open WoW, it lasts 3-4 minutes, and if I put WoW on the lowest settings, it lasts up to 20 minutes.

I switched it for my old Radeon 4850 (which requires a lot less power) and everything is back to normal.

So could the problem be in the card's voltage regulator or something? Switching to a more powerful PSU solved the problem for a while, but then it came back..

I'm not in the USA, so RMA is a difficult and expensive process for me (to the point where it's better to just buy another card). I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to solve it..