Endwar?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Anyone know anything about this game? Appears to be an RTS. Anyone get it yet and can explain what it plays like?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: videogames101
I figured you'd already be bashing it. :D

I try not to bash games i haven't played. i only bash them after i've played them and found out that they sucked.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
It's a console RTS that is being ported to the PC. I realize that might be morally offensive, but I rented the PS3 version over christmas and it had some pretty good features (voice command). It probably won't be as nifty on the PC but it might still be worth a play for RTS fans, especially in a few months when it's in the bargain bin.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: videogames101
I figured you'd already be bashing it. :D

I try not to bash games i haven't played. i only bash them after i've played them and found out that they sucked.

You could at least bash Microsoft for delaying the PC version for over 3 months.

Redox

Aug 12, 2005
Save your money. I purchased a PC copy to be able to run at a high resolution (25x16) but it was unavailable as a choice in the Options menu. Worse, there doesn't seem to be a configuration file you can modify unlike some Unreal engine games. Others have posted similar problems on the forum with custom resolutions (though the more typical 16x10 and 19x12 resolutions are available).

The voice command is also flaky; I tried several different headsets and it didn't work very well. For some it seems to work fine, for others it doesn't. By contrast, the 360 version worked pretty well at recognizing voice commands.

Ubisoft presence on the technical forum appears to be non-existent, leaving users to figure it out on their own.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
I played the Demo on the Xbox360 and it was fun. The voice commands worked fine while it's not up to the level of World in Conflict, its one of those rare modern day tactical RTSes so I liked it, but that may be more about the state of exactly the choices we have in modern warfare RTS games than the game itself.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
The (I) version of this is on sale right now at Gogamer for $30 for those on the fence about this. Doesn't look interesting enough for me so I'll pass, besides WiC Soviet Assault comes later this month. :)

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: chizow
The (I) version of this is on sale right now at Gogamer for $30 for those on the fence about this. Doesn't look interesting enough for me so I'll pass, besides WiC Soviet Assault comes later this month. :)

Wait, it's been UNCANCELED? When did this happen? WIC is still my favorite RTS game to date.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Yep! It was only cancelled and left in doubt when Sierra wasn't picked up and continued after the Activision/Blizzard merger. Ubisoft came in shortly after and picked up the IP and Massive where they left off, which was probably 95% complete for Soviet Assault.

Ubisoft Announcement

WiC Soviet Assault Trailer

Sounds like Alec Baldwin is still doing the voice acting for Lt. Parker. :thumbsup: Release date looks to be this Tuesday or the one after, as sites are listing Mar 3 or 10th. Also looks like there's a Complete Edition with both games for $30, a great deal on an awesome RTS/RTT.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
I've been playing it for a bit and its actually really nice, its by no means a simulation but it's closer to real war than anything else.

Here's my thoughts:

I actually like the camera binding since it means I can only see what my units can see and from their POV. It adds a more realistic fog of war and battlefield chaos. Took a little bit of getting used to, but it just reinforces the feeling that you're a in field commander instead of a arbitrary eye in the sky.

The rock-paper-scissors battle model is rigidly defined. There is absolutely no point in using units to attack anything but what they're good at.

There isn't all that much micromanagement, your units seem fairly intelligent. Sure you tell them to attack, retreat and move but beyond that ,you don't have to worry too much, they'll pick angles of approach, resources or tell artillery to attack ground, in this game air strikes and artillery actually follow-fire the unit selected so no more clicking where I think that platoon will be 6 seconds from now, which is nice.

WTF is an uplink and what does it have to do with anything? I have no idea why I need to capture them besides foe game play mechanics.

WMDs are ridiculously powerful. I now avoid winning by capturing uplinks because when you've almost won, the enemy can USE WMDs and 1 WMD can not disable, but destroy any unit in its area. Happened to me once where I lost 5 ELITE platoons to a single WMD(once they die, they're gone and you have to replace them with recruits). After that I just said screw it, I'll just destroy the enemy from now on and ignore uplinks beyond the first 1 or 2.

IDK about anyone else, but my World War 3 map doesn't really ever change. It seems like a tug of war on 3 fronts and I'm attacking or defending the same cities over an over again which is getting boring.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Huh, yes, I know this thread is from 2009, but, it is the only thread about EndWar that I can find, and I guess only the people in this thread would care about this news, so not worth making a new thread for the RIP announcement.

Anyway, as shown here http://eu.ewo.ubi.com/en/news/showNewsDetail/?newsId=481
Generals,

It’s with great sadness that we must announce that EndWar Online will be officially closing on October 31st, 2016. We have announced this ahead of time in order to encourage you to enjoy the game for as long as possible before it closes.

Know that this was not an easy decision for us. We’ve shared your passion for EndWar Online and enjoyed working together with a very dedicated community (that’s you!). Since the game has launched, we have put a lot of effort into EndWar Online’s development and your contribution and support have made it all worthwhile. Sure, we’ve been through some ups and downs, but those shared memories and emotions show how a common passion can bring developers and fans closer together in the end. Knowing that you have enjoyed our game is the reason why everyone at Ubisoft loves working in this industry. Thank you for this!

The shutdown of the game will not take place straight away, but on October 31st, which is still 2 months away. For as long as EndWar Online will be available, we want to enable you to play it and say goodbye. We also want to provide you with an opportunity to get in touch with your friends or guild members and make sure you can stay connected in the future. Before the game closes on October 31st, we’ll perform the following preparations:

First, immediately following this announcement we will close the Shop in which you could purchase in-game currency.
Please feel free to spend all your resources, currency and items in the game now. Go crazy and have fun, try whatever you always wanted to do in the game and enjoy it while it lasts. Once the game is closed on October 31st, all remaining resources, items and currencies in the game will be gone.
In line with our terms of use, we hereby inform you that there will be no refund of any money you have spent in the game or for any currencies or resources you still may own on the shutdown date.

Once October 31st arrives, we will continue with our final steps. This includes closing the game, its website, and social media channels. They will not be accessible to you any longer. That said, you will still be able to reach our customer support team through the Ubisoft support website here.

If you are already looking for a new game to play, this might be of interest for you: Ubisoft is currently celebrating its 30th anniversary with a special offer in the Ubisoft Club. For the rest of the year, each month you will get a classic Ubisoft game for free. All you’ll need is your Uplay account, so log in here and download away!

We would like to express our sincerest gratitude to you, our players! At the same time, we also thank all teams, departments, internal and external development studios for their ongoing support and participation, which enabled us to create and operate this game!

The EndWar Online Team