End of the "Hidden 55nm GTX260s" debate

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Great news :) Hopefully most of the manufacturers will follow. Let's just hope that price will be more in line with the 65nm version, cause in that link they're going for 390$ ;) A good 100$ more than the 65nm variant in that area. Probably artificially inflated though for people who want to have one early.

EDIT: I got that much reading this short news. Perhaps they meant in general in online shops?

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
EVGA 55nm New SKU, sticker
ZZF had a 55nm that was either pulled or sold out. There is a price premium it looks like, but that may change once other vendors have availability.

Things to note:

1) Different SKU
2) Different sticker
3) Not fully shrouded, no backplate
4) the top of the card is slightly raised and clearly visible on the cooler, you can see this on the bare PCB pics also from Expreview. So the PCB is actually taller than standard.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Some of these FUD sites really need to go. All they do is say whatever they think will get them traffic. I'm going to start a website and says that Nvidia invented AIDS and sells crack to inner-city children, and see how many ad-clicks I can get.

On topic: Awesome! Does anyone know if the 65nm and 55nm can be paired in SLI? Did it work with the 9800GTX and GTX+?

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Some of these FUD sites really need to go. All they do is say whatever they think will get them traffic. I'm going to start a website and says that Nvidia invented AIDS and sells crack to inner-city children, and see how many ad-clicks I can get.

On topic: Awesome! Does anyone know if the 65nm and 55nm can be paired in SLI? Did it work with the 9800GTX and GTX+?

Yes it did- if the core is the same, they will SLi.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: nRollo
http://www.techpowerup.com/794..._on_Sale_in_Japan.html

What is interesting is that Inno3D have clearly advertised this fact by displaying 55nm on the product and in the product description.

More FUD debunked- wasn't The Inquirer saying they would slip the 55nm parts into the mix to sell 65nm stock?

I'd think they would want to sell their old stock. It's not all up to Nvidia how a company markets their cards to retail. They're free to overclock them and whatnot. So what I predict is a wave of new factory overclocked cards sporting 55nm. The non overclocked cards being 65nm. I don't know for sure obviously, but if 55nm can clock higher it would make sense to market a new FTW or XXX Black Edition first. If they don't then they don't. And it's good to see.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd

I'd think they would want to sell their old stock.

Maybe they did sell all/most of their old stock.

I would guess that Nvidia's partners had more info sooner than the general public did about the 55nm gpus

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: edplayer
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd

I'd think they would want to sell their old stock.

Maybe they did sell all/most of their old stock.

I would guess that Nvidia's partners had more info sooner than the general public did about the 55nm gpus

Maybe, but I don't see a shortage of cards...only the really high overclocked cards are gone.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Theres a reason why nVIDIA is hesitant to rebrand the 55nm versions as "GTX265" where as its possible to release a GTX285. This roughly gives one an idea of the kind of yields nVIDIA has been getting with the 65nm GT200 chips.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
Theres a reason why nVIDIA is hesitant to rebrand the 55nm versions as "GTX265" where as its possible to release a GTX285. This roughly gives one an idea of the kind of yields nVIDIA has been getting with the 65nm GT200 chips.
Actually I think it shows yields were very good given they were able to shift the entire 260 production line to 216SP after a few months. Given many c216 overclocked variants were benching close to a 280 already it doesn't surprise me there's no 265. If they notched the 265 up any further in clockspeeds or SP it would perform more like a 280 than a 265 and then people would cry about naming conventions not making sense. At least now on paper, non-overclocked, the remaining 65nm chips can be used for 280s until EOL with the 55nm chips going to 260s, 285s and 295s.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: chizow
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
Actually I think it shows yields were very good given they were able to shift the entire 260 production line to 216SP after a few months. Given many c216 overclocked variants were benching close to a 280 already it doesn't surprise me there's no 265. If they notched the 265 up any further in clockspeeds or SP it would perform more like a 280 than a 265 and then people would cry about naming conventions not making sense. At least now on paper, non-overclocked, the remaining 65nm chips can be used for 280s until EOL with the 55nm chips going to 260s, 285s and 295s.

He might not have been saying this, but I also take their marketing strategy of the past 3-4 months to mean that they have gotten better and better yields over time. Nvidia is starting to reassert their dominance. Too bad their marketing team screwed the pooch with the launch of gt200 or they'd really be in a good position right now. I suspect that they're going to start trying jack the gt200b prices up a little bit, however, since it's clearly a superior product and their margins could sure use some tlc.