Encoding(divx) in Linux good as in Windows?

imhotepmp

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
I tried RH 7.3 and I loved it and want to use it full time. However, one thing that I do is divX,mpeg,etc encoding. All the tools that I know are for Windows. Are there any good tools in Linux that are powerful as the ones in Windows?
Plus, I think Linux will take advantage of the new box Im building(Dual XP) moreso than windows since it uses resources better. Any thoughts, sites for encoding in Linux, etc would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Imhotep MP

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
History of encoding divx here. Its written about divx and the Mac, but really talks about the pc side as well as linux just as much.
Linux users were able to use DivX almost immediately after it first came out, but only if they were using x86 hardware as they were actually just running the WiMP .dll's inside of another media player. This was great, but what many Linux users love about Linux is its platform independence. Eventually someone (a fellow by the name of Gerard Lantau) decided a more platform independant solution needed to be developed. All hail ffmpeg. Totally coded from the ground up by looking at the bitstream and figuring out how to decode it properly, there now was a platform independant open-source DivX encoding and decoding engine (it also gained over time the ability to encode and decode a pretty tremendous array of other formats and more formats continue to be added). Linux programs such as MPlayer utilized this engine for DivX playback and now encoding.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I've been wondering this too. I use a pair of XP's for encoding DiVX, and I'm thinking *nix might take better advantage than Windows. The only thing really holding be back now is my games. (and possibly what distro to use. The only one I have good experience with is FreeBSD....and that's not exactly linux. :))

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I haven't done any encoding in a long time, but last time I saw, DivX encoding on Linux was quite primitive.

There were only a few command-line tools available. I'm usually all for the CLI, but you need more control when it comes to conversion of DVDs to DivX.