Question Enclosure for Internal Blu-Ray Writer

Aditya Kumar

Oct 16, 2018
I was looking to buy external blu-ray writer but I can't find any in Indian Market that supports all regular blu-ray formats along with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc & 3D Blu-ray movies.

However I found 2 internal blu-ray writer which supports everything I need. But I am not sure if internal writer will work with any random enclosure or Sata to USB converter cable that we find on amazon. I know that Sata internal hard-drives work easily using even the cheapest enclosures but I have no idea what type of enclosure works perfectly for full size 41mm height Blu-ray drives. I also don't know if those enclosures/case or sata to usb cables will work in Plug & Play USB mode with optical drives.

Please help if anyone knows, how I can get it to work without any problems.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
However I found 2 internal blu-ray writer which supports everything I need. But I am not sure if internal writer will work with any random enclosure or Sata to USB converter cable that we find on amazon. I know that Sata internal hard-drives work easily using even the cheapest enclosures but I have no idea what type of enclosure works perfectly for full size 41mm height Blu-ray drives. I also don't know if those enclosures/case or sata to usb cables will work in Plug & Play USB mode with optical drives.

5.25" optical drives require 12V, so you can't just use a USB3-to-SATA adaptor. I don't know what's available in India, but you'll need something like this:

https://www.raidsonic.de/products/external_cases/external_cases_35/index_en.php?we_objectID=456

Best of luck finding it.

I was looking to buy external blu-ray writer but I can't find any in Indian Market that supports all regular blu-ray formats along with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc & 3D Blu-ray movies.

Best to just forget about UHD blurays. You'll (almost) never be able to play one legally on a PC. It's much easier to get a standalone player (or Xbox One, if you can find one).

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
You need a 5.25 enclosure with at least sata 2 and USB 3.0

I don't know what is available in India.

theoretically he doesn't need to go that far.
he can just use this:
You need one with a power adapter.

yeah its not going to be pretty, but it will work.
seems like its not something he is going to use every day either anyhow.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
he can just use this:

He asked for enclosure....

Aditya Kumar

Oct 16, 2018
he can just use this:

There are no enclosures in India.

Will these converter cables work without any problems? I think pibox looks like it might work, can you also take a look at other models plz.

Also if I use these cables they won't protect the blu-ray writer from shocks/scratches/damage like an enclosure would.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
the last 3 will, the first one wont.

You need one with an power adapter, otherwise you will not get enough power to the optical drive to power it.

Reactions: Aditya Kumar