Question Enabling Virtualization - bueno or no

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I installed Bluestacks on my desktop, it's an Android emulator, so I can use one app on the computer instead of just on my phone. It was slow as heck and I read it needed to use CPU Virtualization as it would only utilize one core without it. So I enabled Virtualization on my desktop and now it's running nice and fast.

But I remember when I used to really OC a lot Virtualization was supposedly something to be kept disabled. Is that still true or am I operating on old info that is no longer relevant.

Does Virtualization being enabled hamper anything? Rig is in my sig.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
But I remember when I used to really OC a lot Virtualization was supposedly something to be kept disabled. Is that still true or am I operating on old info that is no longer relevant.
I think that you're just mis-remembering the fact that higher-end overclockable Intel CPUs had certain Virtualization features disabled from Intel; whereas they were present on the non-K SKU.

Reactions: Insert_Nickname

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Yeah for absolute max clocks and stability, Virtualization is recommended to be turned off.

That being said, in modern days I haven’t encountered any ceiling with safe voltages, and honestly with modern Boosting I don’t see any need to manually over clock at this point.

I use Virtualization daily, so I never turn it off.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
if you use AV including Defender, there's another option you need to disable to make Bluestacks more fluid. It should load within 6-8 seconds if on NVME/SSD.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
If you're looking to increase security, disabling virtualisation is sometimes suggested as it apparently has been used as a vehicle for rootkits.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Oh yikes, I forgot about this. Maybe this is why Ryzen master is no longer working properly for me :/ Is there any workaround?

Someone wrote a patcher to remove the check, but at least one person noted Blue Screens after installing the patch. There's definitely a reason why the check is in there, though it does make Ryzen Master useless to me.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hmm, well it turned out I checked in task manager, and virtualization is off, but the reason Ryzen master wouldn't work was it was an older version not compatible with 5000 series, lol. Anyway I don't use it much; there are other tools for monitoring, and I prefer to do UEFI changes in the actual setup. I went ahead and uninstalled Ryzen master.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Unless you are overclocking, turn it on. It messes with some hardware monitoring tools and such. A number of Windows features require it, and anything that uses virtualization obviously requires it.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Unless you are overclocking, turn it on. It messes with some hardware monitoring tools and such. A number of Windows features require it, and anything that uses virtualization obviously requires it.
This is concerning. Would CPUz, coretemp, MSI afterburner, HWmonitor, or GPUz have issues?

thigobr

Sep 4, 2016
I have virtualization enabled to use qemu on Linux and I don't see any issues with current versions of CPU-Z, Afterburner or HWmonitor on Windows... I don't have Ryzen Master installed though

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have just a slight OC on this chip so this is good news. I want Bluestacks to work well, and it does with virtualization on. I do remember when I was more into pushing my chip as fast as it would go on air cooling, I remembered reading to turn it off. But that was a while ago. Thanks for all the responses!

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
If you aren't using any CPU feature, IMO, the best thing to do is turn it off. This has less to do with overclocking and more to do with security. It's hard to exploit features that aren't enabled.

I use virtualization all the time (Windows subsystem for linux), but I can see how many users wouldn't need it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
If you aren't using any CPU feature, IMO, the best thing to do is turn it off. This has less to do with overclocking and more to do with security. It's hard to exploit features that aren't enabled.

I use virtualization all the time (Windows subsystem for linux), but I can see how many users wouldn't need it.

Bluestack is virtualization.

Last edited: