Enable Cache with MSATA SSD

nicuwork

Feb 13, 2014
Hello, i recently got a ssd samsung mzmpc032hbcd 32gb and i wanted to use as cache with motherboard gigabyte ga-z68ap-d3, with the msata slot.

I have 2xhdd 320gb linked as RAID 0
I3-2100 / 8gb ddr3 1600 / 1.65v

After i install windows 8.1, and smart response technology, i don't have the "accelerate" option.

Could be a conflit with my current hdd's ?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Hello, i recently got a ssd samsung mzmpc032hbcd 32gb and i wanted to use as cache with motherboard gigabyte ga-z68ap-d3, with the msata slot.

I have 2xhdd 320gb linked as RAID 0
I3-2100 / 8gb ddr3 1600 / 1.65v

After i install windows 8.1, and smart response technology, i don't have the "accelerate" option.

Could be a conflit with my current hdd's ?

I find it hard to believe that. BUT-- you have an mSATA drive in a special slot on the motherboard. It shouldn't and wouldn't be a problem with the newer OS Win 8.1.

Did you ever TRY enabling ISRT with this mSATA SSD? I'm just saying -- there should be absolutely no reason why ISRT wouldn't work with a regular SSD connected to the Intel onboard controller. "mSATA" throws a curve in there for which I could only speculate, but it would seem likely -- with my limited knowledge -- that this is indeed your problem.

That being said, I just came out of a 3-year period with the ISRT caching arrangement. For many months, I had a very, very intermittent instability problem that I was more-- and more -- desperate to resolve. As the urgency increased, I was tweaking two or more potential fixes at a time, so I cannot confirm the necessity of what I say here, but it's probably good advice.

If you plan to implement Smart Response caching on your Z68 system, I'd say the highest priority "step Zero" would be updating to the latest BIOS revision and either immediately before or after -- installing the matching or latest IRST software version. That's recommendation #1.

#2 -- I would avoid caching-SSDs that use the SandForce controller. I only say that, because I'd "heard some stories" and my own problem just evaporated when I stopped using my Patriot caching SSD and replaced the ISRT setup with a standalone Samsung 840 and BIOS "AHCI" configuration (which you cannot use with ISRT caching -- it must be RAID-mode.)

#3 -- AFIK, the Z68 chipset doesn't allow ISRT implemented with an SSD larger than 64GB to use the entire SSD for caching, and it is not a good idea to format the remainder of such a drive for conventional use while it is also used for caching. So -- if I'm right about your mSATA option, and you still plan on implementing an ISRT caching configuration -- find a drive that is 64GB in size or less.

UPDATE: I looked at the G-byte web-pages for that board. At first, I couldn't find an mSATA slot, until I saw some promotional material that pictured it: It seems to be a small, low-profile white plug so that the mSATA card lies flat between the graphics slot and the CPU?

Is this card driven by your onboard Intel controller, or something else? Is it configured in "RAID" mode if driven through that Intel controller?

Last edited:

nicuwork

Feb 13, 2014
Thank you for reply.
I will try to download the latest ISRT software, and reinstall windows.
My concern is to be able to run mSATA cache with RAID 0 active.
If i can't do that, then is no progres since i have sata 2 hdd's.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
solved

the solution was to have the ssd deleted, not format

I think I understand what you're saying. In my earlier and lengthy response, I couldn't be sure if the mobo mSATA feature used the onboard Intel controller or something else.

Yes -- you have to have the SSD unformatted -- and only connected. If formatted with a useable partition, it won't be available as resource for ISRT caching.