Employers---What do you look for on a resume?

dionx

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
experience and youth

experience is self explanatory, but youth since they are more computer literate and have more potential to learn, especially college grads.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
releavent experience and no BS, when you look through enough resumes you learn to read between the lines.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: dionx
experience and youth

experience is self explanatory, but youth since they are more computer literate and have more potential to learn, especially college grads.

you could get in serious trouble if the candidates found out you hired based on youth.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
When you go over your resume, think if you were the guy sorting through 50 resumes why he would bother looking at your's. Not trying to say your's is automatically bad, but I'm saying to critique it from your own point of view as much as possible.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
The part where you grovel and tell how cheap you will work.

Seriously, A big turn-off is someone who seems to know

how to do everything.

:)

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
When i was interviewing to find my replacement at my old job the poeple i looked for and noted had to have words like "learned", "excelled", "experienced", "taught", "acomplished", "managed"
Anyone that put down "expert" or "professional" anything without having a cert to back it up IMMEDIATELY got on my bad list...but thats just me
The words really depend on the job though so its hard to say wihtout more info

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Ozoned

how to do everything.

you'd be turned off by a candidate that knows how to do thier job? you arent a hiring manager are you?

dionx

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Ameesh
Originally posted by: dionx
experience and youth

you could get in serious trouble if the candidates found out you hired based on youth.

6 ppl in my department. age is balanced

2 females 45-50 years old
1 female 30 years old
3 males 22-24 years old

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'll chime in for an honest $0.02. TIFWIW

Note : I'm not a "hiring" manager ultimately responsible for the offer, but I do interview anyone who joins my team.

First of all, when someone hands me a resume to review my first question is "who is he/she"? Yes, the old "not what you know, who you know..." saying rings true. I want to know who referred this person and why. It's very rare that I'm even handed a resume from someone "off the street". Typically, when a position is available we all think about who we know that would be good for the team.

In the cases of resume first, interview second, the first thing I look at is where they went to school and what level of education. Not really because I care about the level of education, I'm just curious. Many of the folks in my field went through the same schools. I'm wondering if I might know them from somewhere.

The next thing I look at is where they worked, as I'm curious if they have ever worked for the competition.
I also note if they are currently working of laid-off. In my line of work, it's pretty tough to get hired if you've been laid-off. The gut reaction is if someone else didn't want you, why would we?

Then I look at silly stuff like published papers, patents, etc... Things that might make me jealous or one-up me ;)

Of course, I then do a full scan of a resume and note it accordingly.

I just thought I'd share my "secret resume agenda".

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Ameesh
Originally posted by: Ozoned

how to do everything.

you'd be turned off by a candidate that knows how to do thier job? you arent a hiring manager are you?

Not one that knows there job, but one that tells me at an interview or on a resume

how they can and have done everything.

Not a manager but a small buissness owner.

I am impressed more by the bloak that shows up everyday

for weeks on end to bug me for a job, than by anything written on a piece of paper,

except for the proper credentials, of course.