Employer Security vs Nazi Germany. No, really!

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I was in shock!
Has anyone else seen anything like this from their employer?

Human resources sent out an email to all employees with a link to a set of 15, 5-minute online in-house videos covering company security policy.
Followed by a quiz after each video.
Videos obviously professional produced by third party.
Mandatory for all 5000+ employees, covering security awareness and continued employment.
And obviously we're talking a fairly large well known national company.

So these security videos covered such things as email security, probability of being hacked, use of company devices in and out of the business facility, stuff like that.
Most were pretty generic.

Then, there were the videos that suggested, for security purposes, no employee trust another employee.
For every employee to be aware and report to company security staff anything odd concerning other employees,
Such as, arriving early to work, staying late after their assigned work hours, or any change in dress i.e. becoming sloppy or unconcerned with appearance.
Be aware of any fellow employee witnessed acting odd or expressing odd behavior.
If any employee notices another employee acting odd, alert security immediately.

I suppose if one was simply feeling sick that day and chose not to talk much, or put on a wrinkled shirt, mismatched socks, mismatched tie, that security needs to know of this odd behavior asap.

I could not help but think of Nazi Germany, when citizens were encouraged to spy on other fellow citizens. To report any citizen that dare talk against the Fuhrer, dare act oddly, or dare they utter one negative word against the nazi cause.

An unjust leap you say? Well get this.....

Of these security videos, several crossed the line from sticking to internal company security policy to intruding into the private home life of the employee.
Actually suggesting parents insist their kids turn over all their devices at bed time to the parents so the kids will not use their devices after hours.
Hmmmm....
Isn't THAT something better left to the parents discretion, NOT ones employer to decide?
Well, it gets worse. Much worse!
Security video training actually suggesting parents install spyware on their kids computer so that the parent can "spy" on what the kid(s) do online and the sites they visit.
HOLY BATSHIT BATMAN....

An employer actually suggesting their employee not trust their own kid, and to spy on that kid?
Yes, one mandatory security video actually suggested exactly that.
For the parent to spy on the kid through parent-installed spyware.

Hmmmmm.
Again, Nazi Germany came to mind.
Except with Hitler and the Nazi's, it was the other way around.
The children were encouraged to spy on the parents.
To report a parent speaking or acting "anti" Nazi.

Where the hell do these companies think they can cross the line with even suggesting or hinting how any employee should relate to their own children in the privacy of their own home?
What was that book George Orwell wrote in 1949? Was it titled 1984, or 2015?

If any parent dare allow their employer to suggest how that parent should relate to or trust their own children, then maybe that parent should not have children in the first place?
Or, give up the kid into foster care?

I thought this went way over the line, for any employer, yes... any employer, to suggest an employee and a parent not trust their own child.
And to go even further, for that employee/parent to install software on the child's computer to spy on that child.
How the sam hell should your employer know better whether or not you the employee should trust your own kid?

Paranoia, devision, distrust, and did I mention paranoia was the true theme of this set of so called security videos. Employer intrusion big time!
Is this not outrageous behavior for any employer?
And yes... I do plan on raising holy hell over this. You can count on that. That is what I do. ;)

So, how does you employer handle company security? ha ha

PS.
Oh, and one of these lovely videos covering social media...
Suggesting this employer does indeed monitor the social media sites, such as facebook, of all employees to ensure no company secrets are put out there, nor any discouraging words.
And admitting sites such as facebook are checked for all job applicants as part of the employment process.

Last edited:

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
yawn, nothing new here really. a little funny of some of the stuff you say the videos were about for home life, but then again, good security practices aren't just for work. It's not mandatory and nothing most of them probably haven't been recommend from some other source.

oh, and Nazis weren't the only ones that did this. you likely live in a country were it was rampant at one point if not currently.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
The minute you make the anythingyouhate/Nazi analogy you lose and establish yourself as the one who is batshit.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Last time I checked the most your employer can do to you is fire you whereas Nazi's through the force of government could march you off to an Arbeit Macht Frei camp.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Removing the OPs ridiculous comparison to Nazi Germany, I will say that if those videos really suggested such things, that's a little insane for an employer to show those videos. As far as the company monitoring social media of existing employees and checking social media of potential hires? That makes sense to me and I assure you is pretty fucking common.

And I thought I worked in a tight-ass place.

Protoman25

Jun 4, 2015
The ultra-super-paranoid-security videos sound par for the course from what I've seen myself. The spying on your kids thing is a bit out there I'll admit.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
None of this is shocking. I've said it for many years - companies want to go bankrupt.
-They hire the least skilled people.
-They fire anyone who actually cares about the work they do.
-They have a bias against people who enjoy drugs (it's a widely known fact that smart people use drugs and drink more).
-They try to make office morale as low as possible by promoting a culture of fear.

There's an easy way to put all of this into perspective. Can you imagine Chris Rock or Jim Norton working in your office? Of course not. They would be fired immediately. Why? Because they would raise morale too much.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Ve need to zee your PAPERS !!! PAPERS, NOW !!! ACHTUNG !!!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
None of this is shocking. I've said it for many years - companies want to go bankrupt.
-They have a bias against people who enjoy drugs (it's a widely known fact that smart people use drugs and drink more).
-They try to make office morale as low as possible by promoting a culture of fear.

There's an easy way to put all of this into perspective. Can you imagine Chris Rock or Jim Norton working in your office? Of course not. They would be fired immediately. Why? Because they would raise morale too much.

Uhhhh there's too much wrong with this post for me to type it all out.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Uhhhh there's too much wrong with this post for me to type it all out.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006

Good news for Americans though.
Once the social and demographic variables are controlled, however, the positive association between childhood intelligence and adult drug consumption is not statistically significant in the American Add Health sample.

I tend to agree with the rest of it though. Typical suits and middle managers wants to control the life out of everything, leaving nothing but profitable automata. Once they have that they often try to compete with China on price, because hey our costs are so low, and then the bankruptcy comes.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
SOunds like my employer though I think you are carrying your analysis a bit too far.

Most it security breaches today are the result of human behavior. Laziness, or stupidity being the core issues.

I can't tell you how many times I have told co-workers and then employees to not let their spouse/children use their company issued laptop/tablet because for the 11th time their machine needs to be re-imaged, etc to clear out the virus/malware. It isn't just the security risk, it is the loss of employee productivity too.

* I work in IT security. The vast majority of security issues revolve around end user behavior and use of IT assets.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
lasd.jpg

I was in shock!
Has anyone else seen anything like this from their employer?

...Then, there were the videos that suggested, for security purposes, no employee trust another employee.
For every employee to be aware and report to company security staff anything odd concerning other employees,
Such as, arriving early to work, staying late after their assigned work hours, or any change in dress i.e. becoming sloppy or unconcerned with appearance.
Be aware of any fellow employee witnessed acting odd or expressing odd behavior.
If any employee notices another employee acting odd, alert security immediately...

"if you ask amateurs to act as front-line security personnel, you shouldn't be surprised when you get amateur security." People don't need to be reminded to call the police; the slogan is nothing more than an invitation to report people who are different. --Bruce Schneier

Ask amateurs to be your front line security?

What could possibly go wrong?

Uno

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012

We should just spam the hell out of these. Submit hundreds of retarded reports.
"My son's teacher asked if he had any pets."
"I bought gold when it was $1200 and now it's like $1150 or so. I think the market is being manipulated by the Islamic State."
"My daughter is dating a black guy."
"The jew media is spreading zionist lies."
"My wife gets strange phone calls from a friend I've never met, she leaves the house in the evening, and she comes home at 2am with her hair frazzled. I think she might be trying to kill me."
"My coworker says his name is Rodriguez but he looks white. I think it's a fake name."

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
We should just spam the hell out of these. Submit hundreds of retarded reports.
"My son's teacher asked if he had any pets."
"I bought gold when it was $1200 and now it's like $1150 or so. I think the market is being manipulated by the Islamic State."
"My daughter is dating a black guy."
"The jew media is spreading zionist lies."
"My wife gets strange phone calls from a friend I've never met, she leaves the house in the evening, and she comes home at 2am with her hair frazzled. I think she might be trying to kill me."
"My coworker says his name is Rodriguez but he looks white. I think it's a fake name."

You'd have to really sell it though, use Poe's law to your advantage or you could go to jail for hoax reports.