EMERGENCY - Windows 2003 Server and HD Faliure

novon

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Update:

I installed WinXP on a new drive, and attached one of the raid 1 drives as secondary, but the drive doesn't show up in windows so I can recover the files, it just says: Disk1 Dynamic Foreign - and has an option to convert it to basic disk, but I'm afraid this will delete the data.

How can I reset the good raid 1 disk to a normal hd so I can view the data in WinXP? I tried turning off raid in the Bios and it didn't help.

Anyone?

Thanks

-------------

Hi

I've got a Win2K3 server, with two hard drives in raid 1 mirror. One of the hard drive failed, and windows was running on the other. I tried taking the hard drive out, and switching the raid controller to one drive mode, then booting off the good drive, but windows will reboot after the windows splash screen is on for a minute or two...so I can't get into windows.

Is there any way to recover the data from the drives with another Windows XP computer? Is there a way to fix the current install?

Thanks

-novon

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Originally posted by: novon
Hi

I've got a Win2K3 server, with two hard drives in raid 1 mirror. One of the hard drive failed, and windows was running on the other. I tried taking the hard drive out, and switching the raid controller to one drive mode, then booting off the good drive, but windows will reboot after the windows splash screen is on for a minute or two...so I can't get into windows.

Is there any way to recover the data from the drives with another Windows XP computer? Is there a way to fix the current install?

Thanks

-novon

Put the drive in an XP machine and you'll be able to see your stuff that way.