Emergency! GPU overheating!

El Guaraguao

Diamond Member
May 7, 2008
I have a p7805u gateway FX laptop. its fitted with a nvidia 9800M GTS (1gb) video card. updated to the latest drivers on win7.

for the past 2 days, ive noticed the temps are climbing up on the GPU. today I managed to get my gpu as hot as possible, of course only for a short time. I managed to get my GPU temps all the way up to fucking 110 god damn degrees celcius, thats two hundred thirty degrees ferenheight. I managed to get up this far using fur rendereing benchmark.

It all started with my GPU idle temp, 43c. Its not that bad. I was reading a post on notebookreview forums on how to undervolt my video card. So i undervolt the extra setting from 1.12v to .9v. I kept experiencing crashing in games in .9v, so I went back and let the default settings. I haven't overclocked it either. The vents are cleaned, I air blasted the shit out of the laptops cooling system.

Im thinking the stock thermal paste is fading away. thing is, I cant just order thermal paste online or go to my local electronic store to pick some paste up. Im currently in a location where no such business exist and I have no mailing addy. Im out of the united states on business. I use this laptop for my business and I cant do without it. I have 2 laptops, my first laptop HDD died, so im using the second..the second is my overheating FX. without the laptop, im fucked. I would post this in the notebookreview forums, but it takes to long to get replies. so I turn to my atot comrades.

I need to know what everyday house hold item, I can substitute for a TEMP thermal paste. I dont care if I have to climb a mountain to find a rare stone to grind into a pulp and use it for thermal paste. if this laptop dies, i might as well commit seppoku.

thanks.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
For a mobile part those temps look fine. If you want to cool it use a spacer underneath it to aid in airflow. 43 Idle is pretty good.

El Guaraguao

Diamond Member
May 7, 2008
For a mobile part those temps look fine. If you want to cool it use a spacer underneath it to aid in airflow. 43 Idle is pretty good.

Thats celcius, not ferenheight.

I have my laptop raised about 1-2 inches from the desk.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
My friend just had this issue with his P-6860FX (basically the same as yours, just slower parts). You will have to completely disassemble the laptop, reapply thermal paste, and really clean out the laptop (especially the heatsink. Simply blowing canned air into it will not help if the laptop isn't disassembled).

There are disassembly guides online. It will probably take you a couple hours to do. His GPU used to reach 100+ degrees Celsius, causing the laptop to shut down. After I worked on it, the loads stay below 70C.

Last edited:

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Unless your laptop is 5 years or older, thermal paste won't dry. However, blowing air from outside won't remove the dust within the laptop, you must take it apart for that. Laptops heat tolerance is higher than desktop since the gpu probably share heatsink with cpu. Laptop uses the same thermal paste as desktop, so the old AS5 will do the trick.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
The thing is...and I know that this sucks; but if it's that big a deal, then I would just recommend that you stop gaming on the thing till you can get it fixed the right way.

Good luck!

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
If you are using your laptop for business, why are you running Furmark?

Does your GPU overheat during regular use? If not, you don't have a problem.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Quit using furmark

How hot does it get during actual gaming? if it hits 110c in furmark its probably 90-100c max in games which is fine - just keep the intake and exhaust clear of stuff by 1/2 at least

Were your only voltage choices 1.12 and .9?