Emerald Ash Borer beetle putting all US Ash trees in jeopardy

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Not politics, but is news. It would seem that thanks to introduction of this beetle in the 1990s, the 7.5billion Ash trees in the US are at risk from this beetle, which infests and kills an ash tree within 2-3 years. It is a fast-spreading infestation and many states are now reporting seeing these things. These beetles threaten some portions of the lumber industry not to mention obviously the environment (that is a crap load of trees to die).

I culled most of this from wiki, but a local article was talking about a confirmed infestation in a hundred trees near me, plus earlier this year I saw the purple traps and wondered what they are.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Yea it piss's me off many are cutting and buring Ash trees because of it.

I am a wood worker and Ash is one of the most underrated woods. Because of that its a good to work with and dye but also cheap and easy to come by.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
It's spreading in firewood being hauled all over the place when people go camping, etc.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Any predatory organism that is specific to this beetle that we can use to wipe it out and stop the invasion?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Yep. Got one of my beautiful ash trees. It's a shame really because ash is some really great wood. Burns really well, hot and long.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Any predatory organism that is specific to this beetle that we can use to wipe it out and stop the invasion?
Wiki says michigan is looking into a few variants of wasp that can kill these but prospects don't appear overly optimistic, at least based on the blurb in wiki.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Hope it won't be as bad as Dutch Elm disease was.

It's actually REALLY bad. Most I've read on it don't seem to think Ash will make it in North America. If you see some blue box looking things hanging in trees, those are traps to see if the beetle has made it to that area yet. Once it's there, there is little that can be done other than to try to contain the wood.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
If you look to introduce a predatory organism you just have to hope it doesn't come with its own side effects

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
MN has been cutting down lots of tree's to prevent the spread and billboards are being put up discouraging the transportation of firewood.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
We should introduce an even larger predator species that eats emerald ash borer beetles. What could possibly go wrong?

There was a kick ass movie about that. Didn't turn out so well. 8 foot tall bugs with a taste for human flesh. Mimic was the title I believe.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
There was a kick ass movie about that. Didn't turn out so well. 8 foot tall bugs with a taste for human flesh. Mimic was the title I believe.

Hey that looks pretty good! I've liked all the Guillermo del Toro movies I've seen so far.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It's actually REALLY bad. Most I've read on it don't seem to think Ash will make it in North America. If you see some blue box looking things hanging in trees, those are traps to see if the beetle has made it to that area yet. Once it's there, there is little that can be done other than to try to contain the wood.
Contain the wood deep in the ash!

OK but really yes the potential on this seems bad. Apparently on a tree by tree basis you can protect it so maybe if you own one on your property but that obviously won't work for a forest.
MN has been cutting down lots of tree's to prevent the spread and billboards are being put up discouraging the transportation of firewood.
Sounds futile to me. But I don't know much about this kind of thing. Although reading about the quarantine efforts, come on that won't do anything it's too late. It's like a zombie scourge, right? Everyone knows that once you hit critical infestation point quite early on you're done for and it cannot be contained.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
It always somewhat begs the question, since when it comes to invasive species and trees, why is it always tree species specific? I am no tree species genocide expert, but America has lost the American Chestnut, the Dutch elm, and now the Ash is seemingly next on the list. If anything and hands down, the Chestnut blight is the greatest loss in MHO. With the vector of the Chestnut blight being a fungus and not an insect.

But at what point in time will we experience the greatest threat, a non tree specific killer that attacks all trees perhaps worldwide?

Jun 26, 2007
It always somewhat begs the question, since when it comes to invasive species and trees, why is it always tree species specific? I am no tree species genocide expert, but America has lost the American Chestnut, the Dutch elm, and now the Ash is seemingly next on the list. If anything and hands down, the Chestnut blight is the greatest loss in MHO. With the vector of the Chestnut blight being a fungus and not an insect.

But at what point in time will we experience the greatest threat, a non tree specific killer that attacks all trees perhaps worldwide?

Evolution, learn it, it becomes specific to what is is evolved to become specific to, in time (as evolution races on in these species) it will turn to other treese, those that do better will via natural selection become specific to their new homestead, the rest will die out facing the new competition.

In England this isn't a problem because we didn't eradicate the natural fauna and didn't introduce strange species.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

It's probably tree specific because that's the one species or genus in this ecosystem that the beetle can feed on.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
Evolution, learn it, it becomes specific to what is is evolved to become specific to, in time (as evolution races on in these species) it will turn to other treese, those that do better will via natural selection become specific to their new homestead, the rest will die out facing the new competition.

In England this isn't a problem because we didn't eradicate the natural fauna and didn't introduce strange species.

Right. Through the goodness of your heart.

Remind my what you dropped off in Australia again, just for fun.