Embracing Africa: How Globalization Can Help

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Considering that we get over 60% of our oil from countries that border the Atlantic Ocean, with at least 16 percent coming from Nigeria alone.
Considering that we have to expand our options when it comes to energy, and west Africa is sitting atop some very large reserves.
Considering that African muslims are relatively moderate and could welcome aid and intervention to galvanize democracy and local economies, I think it's time for America to embrace Africa. We should make west africa an ares of vital american interest and set-up foward bases in that part of the world. At the very least, a command center for Africa should be considered. Central Command can't cover the job. That way, Africans can have a superpower that will put to rest the restlessness and political uncertainity that is currently destroying that continent. Bush's trip should focus on the future partnership between America and Africa. Expanded trade, perhaps a free-trade union, and an umbrella military structure not unlike NATO (and SEATO) should be seriously discussed.

Globalization can bring about peace and prosperity for the citizens of Africa if it is carefully carried out via structural reforms within the legal, political, and economic arena of the entire region. Respect for each arena can harness the power of man and bring Africa into the family of nations. Considering that the Middle East is relatively secured, Africa should be the next stop for Pax Americana.

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Dari
Considering that we get over 60% of our oil from countries that border the Atlantic Ocean, with at least 16 percent coming from Nigeria alone.
Considering that we have to expand our options when it comes to energy, and west Africa is sitting atop some very large reserves.
Considering that African muslims are relatively moderate and could welcome aid and intervention to galvanize democracy and local economies, I think it's time for America to embrace Africa. We should make west africa an ares of vital american interest and set-up foward bases in that part of the world. At the very least, a command center for Africa should be considered. Central Command can't cover the job. That way, Africans can have a superpower that will put to rest the restlessness and political uncertainity that is currently destroying that continent. Bush's trip should focus on the future partnership between America and Africa. Expanded trade, perhaps a free-trade union, and an umbrella military structure not unlike NATO (and SEATO) should be seriously discussed.

Globalization can bring about peace and prosperity for the citizens of Africa if it is carefully carried out via structural reforms within the legal, political, and economic arena of the entire region. Respect for each arena can harness the power of man and bring Africa into the family of nations. Considering that the Middle East is relatively secured, Africa should be the next stop for Pax Americana.

Africa is doing a hell of a lot better than it was 100 years ago, and the sh!t that is going on now is because of what happened because of colonialization. You make embracing Africa sound like the second coming of the "White Man's Burden", and that surely won't do anything to help them out. Right now, if we went over there and helped with the reserves, we would make sure to get a nice slice of the pie, which is not the way globalization should happen. There is good globalizatoin, and there is bad globalization. What the US and UK have done in the past 50 years is BAD globalization, and until I see some change, I say we should give aid, and that's it.

AEB

Jun 12, 2003
all globilization is bad it wont work. in the end some country will screw another and theres nothing the other countries will do about it. im mean look at the EU. france didnt go along in the iraqi conflict because they were selling agents for WMD to the iraqis, and germany had to go along with it because the value of the EURO would fall otherwise, which i would like to point out it is anyway. i for one dont want other countries deciding what to do with my countries money . a good current example : the UN trying to charge the US for rennovations to the UN building. HORSESH!T im not paying

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Piano Man

Africa is doing a hell of a lot better than it was 100 years ago, and the sh!t that is going on now is because of what happened because of colonialization. You make embracing Africa sound like the second coming of the "White Man's Burden", and that surely won't do anything to help them out. Right now, if we went over there and helped with the reserves, we would make sure to get a nice slice of the pie, which is not the way globalization should happen. There is good globalizatoin, and there is bad globalization. What the US and UK have done in the past 50 years is BAD globalization, and until I see some change, I say we should give aid, and that's it.

just giving aid and turning a blind eye is how Yasser Arafat got to be worth $240 million dollars. African leaders are far worse.

And re-read the part I have in bold.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: AEB
all globilization is bad it wont work. in the end some country will screw another and theres nothing the other countries will do about it. im mean look at the EU. france didnt go along in the iraqi conflict because they were selling agents for WMD to the iraqis, and germany had to go along with it because the value of the EURO would fall otherwise, which i would like to point out it is anyway. i for one dont want other countries deciding what to do with my countries money . a good current example : the UN trying to charge the US for rennovations to the UN building. HORSESH!T im not paying

If anything, the Germans would WANT the euro to fall in value. It's hurting their export.

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Piano Man

just giving aid and turning a blind eye is how Yasser Arafat got to be worth $240 million dollars. African leaders are far worse.

And re-read the part I have in bold.

Reread what I said. For the past 50 years, all globalization that this country has carried out has been for selfish reasons, and it doesn't appear to be getting any better. Therefore, globalization is BAD at the moment, and we should first fix our leaders before f*cking up other countries.

da loser

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Considering that the Middle East is relatively secured, Africa should be the next stop for Pax Americana.
what planet are you living on? although i agree, we should use liberia as a starting point, just not right now. first we need to get out of central europe and south korea/japan, central asia. although, i see africa turning into south america not the asian pacific rim. what went wrong in south america and right in asia? bad leadership? drugs? too many wars?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: AEB

Wow.
rolleye.gif

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
What if Africa does not want our bases? Or want to do things in a different way than the US? Who in fact gets to determine what structural reforms happen? I like the idea of the rich helping the poor, but personally, I wonder about the strings.