Email tells delegates to applaud -- and stay out of politics at RNC convention

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Email tells delegates to applaud -- and stay out of politics at RNC convention
By Craig Westover
Friday, April 18, 2008

Bands, balloons and the chance to rub shoulders with party movers and shakers are part of the allure of being a delegate to a national political convention. But don't delegates play an important role choosing the party's nominee and shaping its platform?

Some delegates to the Republican National Convention Sept. 1-4 in St. Paul have been told to stick to the bands and balloons.

An email, called a "National Delegate Self-Nomination Form," sent to some 7th District GOP delegates warns them that they shouldn't expect much of a role or influence at the convention.

Supporters of GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul ? who won six of 12 delegate slots to the GOP national convention at Fourth, Fifth and Sixth District conventions in early April ? think the email was directed at them.

"According to the Seventh Congressional District, national delegates are meaningless," said Minnesota state coordinator for Ron Paul, Marianne Stebbins. "They're trying to talk our people out of running."

Among the general requirements for a delegate described in the email ? registration fee, responsibility for hotel bills and the commitment to attend the convention ? was the unusual expectation to "contribute significantly to the national party and campaign, $1,000 is almost a minimum."

Potential delegates were advised of an expectation to "contribute to the 'TV image' of the Party by being present, applauding and cheering at the 'right' places, etc."

In addition, the email went on:

Platform ignored
"You should also be aware that, unlike your service as a State or local delegate, your influence on the process is considerably limited. The other primary states will, by convention time, have determined the Presidential nominee. The platform process is divided and the opportunity to participate in even a piece of it is limited. After the convention, the platform is generally ignored. For this reason, the role of National Delegate is generally seen as a 'reward' for long and faithful service to the Party, rather than as a 'representative' to a deliberative body or a 'learning opportunity' for newcomers."

Neil Nelson, chair of the GOP Seventh District nominating committee, sent out the email, but said he didn't write it. So as not to "reinvent the wheel," he said, he used content prepared for another GOP district.

"If I had read it closer, and I should have, I would have made some changes," said Nelson, who stated he was not at liberty to identify the author of the content. "It certainly wasn't intended to discourage Paul supporters."

Nonetheless, fighting the attitude that "after the convention, the platform is generally ignored" is what keeps Paul supporters engaged. Platform, principle and Paul are three P's for the party, they say.

"We're hoping Ron Paul's candidacy can be the springboard for a renewed party of conservative principles," said Stebbins. "The times we've won in the GOP were times we stood on principle."

Here's the text of the email sent by Nelson:

Hello:

I also wanted to mention that you must chose to either run for a delegate position or an alternate position. You cannot run for both. Please fill out the following form accordingly:

National Delegate Self-Nomination Form

You may place yourself in nomination to be a Delegate or Alternate to the National Republican Convention. Please be aware of the following expectations of your service in this capacity.

1. You will be expected to attend. It is not sufficient to allow the alternate to take your place.

2. There are substantial costs.

a. The registration fee alone is generally $300 or more, and "guests," if you bring your spouse, cost the same.

b. For security purposes, you will be required to stay in the convention hotel, at a cost of $2-300 per night (5 nights).

c. You will be expected to contribute significantly to the national party and campaign, $1000 is almost the minimum.

EDIT(I love this one)
3. You are expected to contribute to the "TV image" of the Party by being present, applauding and cheering at the "right" places, etc.

********You should also be aware that, unlike your service as a State or local delegate, your influence on the process is considerably limited. The other primary states will, by convention time, have determined the Presidential nominee. The platform process is divided and the opportunity to participate in even a piece of it is limited. After the convention, the platform is generally ignored. For this reason, the role of National Delegate is generally seen as a "reward" for long and faithful service to the Party, rather than as a "representative" to a deliberative body or a "learning opportunity" for newcomers. *******

If you aceept and believe you can meet these qualifications, please answer all of the following questions, Yes or No:

1. Do you pledge to attend the National Convention, health permitting?

2. Do you have the financial means to do so?

3. Do you pledge to support the Republican Presidential nominee after the convention?

4. Do you pledge to work for the Presidential candidate AND for other Republican candidates during this campaign season?

Please sign, date, and print your name below. At some point in the Agenda, you will be expected to deliver a short (roughly 1 minute) speech regarding your candidacy, upon which the delegates will base their votes.

Source: Minnpost

Everyone be sure to show up and show your shiny happy face at the convention.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: OrByte
GOOSE-STEP EVERYBODY LETS GOO!!!!!

Fixed it for ya!

Und don't forget to stick out your arm und yell,"Seig heil!" :|

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Exactly what I got from it. Heil the party! Individual thinking entities are poison.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
There's nothing wrong with requesting unity at the national convention, but the audacity of the email is rather humorous...

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: palehorse74
There's nothing wrong with requesting unity at the national convention, but the audacity of the email is rather humorous...

Well...unity for what? A party is what you make it. If all we did was smile and cheer that would say we're content with what the party has become. If you are a republican who believes that the republican party has gotten every bit as far off course as the democratic party acting "unified" would never bring change. Personally I think "humorous" is a drastic understatement.
This is borderline fascist(for lack of a better word).

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
I'd like to know what was meant by the "TV image" comment

:)

If there appears to be dissent the public is much more likely entertain thoughts and ideas that conflict with the status que.
When the party appears "unified" people are more likely to disregard ideas that question the current path the party is on. It's momentum for propaganda. Everyone else thinks this way so majority opinion must be correct. Also people desire to belong. It is more difficult to dissent when there are fewer dissenters.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Perry404

Well...unity for what? A party is what you make it. If all we did was smile and cheer that would say we're content with what the party has become. If you are a republican who believes that the republican party has gotten every bit as far off course as the democratic party acting "unified" would never bring change. Personally I think "humorous" is a drastic understatement.
I highly doubt the email will have any impact on the convention proceedings, and using the word "fascist" is itself overly dramatic...

If you're dissatisfied with your chosen party, leave and form a new one.

How hard is that?!

Call yourselves Paullicans... or Paulicats... or whatever the hell you want. Then guess what... NO MORE EMAILS!

how 'bout that?

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

I highly doubt the email will have any impact on the convention proceedings, and using the word "fascist" is itself overly dramatic...

How hard is that?!

Call yourselves Paullicans... or Paulicats... or whatever the hell you want. Then guess what... NO MORE EMAILS!

how 'bout that?

Possibly yes fascist is too strong a word yet humorous is still not strong enough. I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. If your car is breaking down and ugly you change the oil, put on new tires and give it a bath not necessarily run out and buy a new car.
I don't hate the republican party I just want to see it change. Anyway I think it's been proven time and again that third parties are at a disadvantage in the U.S.A. Therefor it would be much wiser to stick with one of the two parties that have all the advantages.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

How hard is that?!

how 'bout that?
That wouldn't be a bad idea but I think one of the main positions of Paul supporters is that they feel the conservative party has been hijacked. And I think they want to fight to get it back. Forming a new party doesn't doesn't support that cause.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Now that JC Watts is tired of the post, who will be their token black? And Token this that and the other token? Then look out in the cheering white throngs and lily white faces and see the real picture the email refers to. As they say in the Wizard of Oz, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Ronald Reagan for President in 08. Its mourning in America, once again, brought to you by the GOP, who every four years rises again, like a chameleon, from the ashes, strutting forth like a Technicolor peacock. Look quick, because you won't see so many hues in the GOP for another four years.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
after seeing the way some of the Paultards operate, I can't blame the local gop for being concerned.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Harvey

Fixed it for ya!

Not much different from Dean demanding his superdelegates committ NOW and end the Dem Primary, really.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: XMan
Originally posted by: Harvey

Fixed it for ya!

Not much different from Dean demanding his superdelegates committ NOW and end the Dem Primary, really.

That's a rather pathetic attempt to twist and spin the facts. As Chairman of the DNC, Dean has asked his super delegates to make up their minds sooner, rather than later. That's hardly the same thing as e-mailing every delegate to the Republiican convention when to applaud and when to goose step to the party's pre-determined theme, when to STFU and when to shout a resounding "Sieg Heil!" to their fucking führer.

"You are expected to contribute to the "TV image" of the Party by being present, applauding and cheering at the "right" places, etc."

"You should also be aware that, unlike your service as a State or local delegate, your influence on the process is considerably limited."

"For this reason, the role of National Delegate is generally seen as a 'reward' for long and faithful service to the Party, rather than as a 'representative' to a deliberative body or a 'learning opportunity' for newcomers."

Translation:

You are dirt.
You are here only for show and only by our command.
You WILL put on the show WE wrote.
You WILL speak only the words WE wrote, and only whe WE tell you to speak them.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
That's hardly the same thing as e-mailing every delegate to the Republiican convention

from your own link,

Some delegates to the Republican National Convention Sept. 1-4 in St. Paul have been told to stick to the bands and balloons.

An email, called a "National Delegate Self-Nomination Form," sent to some 7th District GOP delegates warns them that they shouldn't expect much of a role or influence at the convention.

yes, there's no difference at all between a random email from a random local party official telling a couple delegates to simma down nah versus the chairman of the party demanding that nothing of any relevance whatsoever takes place at the convention.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
It still amounts to a McCain coronation. And don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that because any political convention has that as an end goal. To emerge unified and fired up behind the new titular head of the GOP who will be John McCain. At least on the convention floor, having that image stage managed is the job of the GOP leadership. As others have pointed out, the email is a little heavy handed and humorous, but its still typical of any political convention.

But the email also denies two basic realities. (1) The American political convention is a time honored last chance to play lets make a deal best handled in the back rooms. And the game is usually played by various coalitions. State chairmen play various power games, constituencies like the religious right will make various demands, and woe be to any party that does not sooth some ruffled feathers. Often the fights are over the exact wording of the platform itself and the bones thrown are often expressed in promised of who the future President will nominate to fill various administrative posts. To pretend that the delegates will not encounter these behind the scenes squabbles is sheer bunk. (2) 2008, to put it rather mildly is a highly unusual year. No incumbent President or Vice President is running, GWB is a lame duck and at a 28% national approval rating, McCain as a GWB harsh critic is the all but certain nominee, and the GOP leadership has been lock step in support of GWB. Resulting in a gridlocking of policy. Given the unpopularity of GWB, the question in my mind is and remains, will the GOP leadership rally around McCain and let him call the shots before the election, allowing McCain to end the gridlock, or will they keep supporting GWB leaving the American people with just McCain promises as they go to the ballot box? It strikes me that in 2008, the GOP can do one or the other but not both. With the GOP divisions now almost 100% centered on issues of policy.

On the democratic side, simple delegate math makes a deadlocked democratic convention difficult. Had Edwards gotten more delegates, it might be possible that neither Obama or Hillary could get a raw majority. As it is, its going to come down to the super delegates who have 20% of the say. In a super biased situation and a two person race, that means the democratic super delegates could swing the raw majority to a candidate who got only 37.5% of the elected delegates. But
after the primaries end on June 3, I strongly suspect the super delegate math will basically reflect the popular vote, and unless Hillary finishes super strong, its likely Dean will get his way, and the nominee will be decided by July1. Up until now, democratic divisions have largely centered on personalities and not issues. GOP dreams may center on the democratic nominee still undecided going into their convention, but I doubt it will happen.

The general election will still be over democratic promises vs. GOP failed policies. And with the potential almost certain the failed GOP policies will be far more acute by November. And almost zero chance that GWB can make good on any of his promises or redeem any of his policies.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
"You should also be aware that, unlike your service as a State or local delegate, your influence on the process is considerably limited. The other primary states will, by convention time, have determined the Presidential nominee. The platform process is divided and the opportunity to participate in even a piece of it is limited. After the convention, the platform is generally ignored. For this reason, the role of National Delegate is generally seen as a 'reward' for long and faithful service to the Party, rather than as a 'representative' to a deliberative body or a 'learning opportunity' for newcomers."

Jeebus,

A lot of imagination in the posts above.

This merely looks to be addressed to the Repub's "super delegates" who will, in fact, have zero effect on the nomination.

McCain already has more than enough pledged delegates to win the nomination. There's really nothing for the national delegates to do.

Fern

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
And you don't think this happens with the democrat convention. If not, I've got swampland in Florida to sell you.

It's also been rumored that the Dems require certain minority representation ratios for their convention. Talk about goose-stepping.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CPA

And you don't think this happens with the democrat convention. If not, I've got swampland in Florida to sell you.

It's also been rumored that the Dems require certain minority representation ratios for their convention. Talk about goose-stepping.

And if all you've got is "rumors," either get some proof, or go home and practice before tossing out generalized accusations to divert attention from the crap we know is happening with the Republicans in this particular case.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I still somewhat disagree with Fern, in any American political convention there are really two conventions, the image the party tries to project and the fence mending power plays
that go on in the back rooms. Both are necessary but the general public only gets to see the made for TV version. It will be no different for Republicans or Democrats in 08 and no different than the past 100 years of American political history.