Email server (1and1.com) keeps getting blacklisted. What are my options?

chemwiz

Mar 8, 2000
A company I work for has about 40 email accounts running through their web host, 1and1.com. The 1and1 servers keep getting blacklisted so they're thinking about moving to a managed hosting service, which will cost $5 to $12 per user per month. Are there any cheaper but solid options for them to use? I'm a total noob at this so I'm pretty clueless; I looked at gmail but that's still $50/year for each user if they want to keep their own domain name on their emails.

Last edited:

code65536

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2006
$50/yr is cheaper than $5-$12/mo.

E-mail is hard, and Google does a good job. You get good spam filtering, a nice webmail interface, IMAP support for traditional clients, and good support for mobile access.

Office 365 is another option at $5/mo if you prefer the Microsoft ecosystem instead.

hennessy1

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2007
I have had several customers that have reported the same issues. We used to recommend 1and1 all the time but since the blacklisting issue has become more and more common with the customers we have been moving over all of the currently affected customers over to MS Hosted Exchange. Since then no issues with email.

Some of them opted for the Office 365 sub so they got the full office package others only needed the email.

chemwiz

Mar 8, 2000
Rackspace email was also recommended to me, they're $2/user/month. Is anyone familiar with them?

code65536

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2006
1) Leave 1and1.com - one of the worst domain registrars and web hosts in the world.

This too. Once upon a time, they used to be good, but I transferred every one of my domains away from them last year.

chemwiz

Mar 8, 2000
Lol, 1and1 has the most spam I've ever seen, I'm probably leaving their website there but definitely not their email!

Chrishuff1

Platinum Member
Jul 25, 2000
I had a website only registered through them. I wanted to let it expire and I got collection letters telling me I had to renew it. 1and1 is a fricken joke.