Elon Musk now owns 9.2% of twitter...update.. will soon be the sole owner as Board of Directors accepts his purchase offer

Page 216 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Thats the thing with these twitter files, Elon buys a company and just hands over its internal mail server to some partisan hack to weaponize the shit out of it for #TeamTreason.
Elon can never wash his hands of this, its gonna taint him till the end of days.

He could make amends and buy Fox News and hand its internals over to #Maddow ... How about them apples? No? I am shocked.

Hey Elmo. Fuck you.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69 and hal2kilo

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Thats the thing with these twitter files, Elon buys a company and just hands over its internal mail server to some partisan hack to weaponize the shit out of it for #TeamTreason.
Elon can never wash his hands of this, its gonna taint him till the end of days.

He could make amends and buy Fox News and hand its internals over to #Maddow ... How about them apples? No? I am shocked.

Hey Elmo. Fuck you.

I thought he should have handed the Twitter files over to the WSJ and let them run with the story.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I think the major problem is there’s not much that’s newsworthy in them. There’s some instances of them making dumb decisions or whatever but nothing particularly scandalous.

It's all just boring and occasionally stupid corporate decision making that he's trying to make look nefarious because the big idiot way way overpaid for the company.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
It's all just boring and occasionally stupid corporate decision making that he's trying to make look nefarious because the big idiot way way overpaid for the company.

Yep. My favorite was the "secret cabal making decisions" that was ... checks notes ... just the c-suite. Like, I get how that might be a gotcha to a bunch of rubes, but that's typically who would make big decisions at any company.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I think the major problem is there’s not much that’s newsworthy in them. There’s some instances of them making dumb decisions or whatever but nothing particularly scandalous.

Then let a credible news organization like the WSJ make that decision. Not some Partisan Twitter hack passing for a reporter.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Then let a credible news organization like the WSJ make that decision. Not some Partisan Twitter hack passing for a reporter.
I think Elon wanted whoever reported on Twitter to support his idea that it was somehow corrupt. Since credible news organizations probably wouldn't do that he got people like Matt Taibbi who Elon could be very confident would reach his desired conclusions regardless of the evidence.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I think Elon wanted whoever reported on Twitter to support his idea that it was somehow corrupt. Since credible news organizations probably wouldn't do that he got people like Matt Taibbi who Elon could be very confident would reach his desired conclusions regardless of the evidence.

Which then instead of clearing the air about what might or might not have happened, he just added fuel to the dumpster fire.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yea Ok, but even at that its still a hit piece right?
Why not let a set of scholars and lawyers look it over and check if someone's rights were in fact violated?
He didnt agree with the "politics" of twitter so he shelled out 44B campaign donation to #teamtreason
Who the fuck buys a company and open sources its internal email server?

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Yea Ok, but even at that its still a hit piece right?
Why not let a set of scholars and lawyers look it over and check if someone's rights were in fact violated?
He didnt agree with the "politics" of twitter so he shelled out 44B campaign donation to #teamtreason
Who the fuck buys a company and open sources its internal email server?

WSJ has access to scholars and lawyers.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yep. My favorite was the "secret cabal making decisions" that was ... checks notes ... just the c-suite. Like, I get how that might be a gotcha to a bunch of rubes, but that's typically who would make big decisions at any company.

A lot of conspiracy theory propaganda takes advantage of people who can't or won't recognize that political and business leaders are usually just as stupid and incompetent as anyone else.

Reactions: hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
A lot of conspiracy theory propaganda takes advantage of people who can't or won't recognize that political and business leaders are usually just as stupid and incompetent as anyone else.
Also they were faced with a number of genuinely difficult and novel problems. What is the right balance of speech vs. moderation when it comes to misinformation about a disease killing millions of people? What’s the right balance when someone is flagrantly violating your TOS but they are also arguably the most important person on the planet?

Maybe people disagree with how those problems were handled but they aren’t easy.

Reactions: misuspita and pmv
Mar 11, 2004
Which then instead of clearing the air about what might or might not have happened, he just added fuel to the dumpster fire.

Well, yeah. Some of you really are the most intentionally ridiculously naive imaginable. You mean, maybe Elon wasn't actually interested in truth but rather bastardizing things to try and make it look like he sacrificed his wealth to expose the villainous Twitter, and not, you know, because he's a fucking moron that keeps forgetting that his online meme shit has actual consequences?

Kinda like how its now become obvious to a certain other poster that Elon has been tacitly supporting Russian propaganda after they find out the little nonsense bit about the one jackass "reporter", and not, you know the times Elon was literally just posting Russian propaganda.

Reactions: hal2kilo
Mar 11, 2004

I still remember the Gamerbaters that were seemingly shocked to find that the media focused around an industry relies on the industry they're covering to operate, if not financially, then for access (meaning, if all you do is be hypercritical, the industry is not going to give you interviews and other access; it doesn't inherently mean its nefarious but it obviously does bring some bias; even dumber is how they often would openly say they want the media to fluff the companies they personally liked in that manner but the moment it was something they didn't it was the worst atrocity ever committed in human history, how dare they call out gamerbros sending rape and death threats, that's such a traitorous backstabbing! To say nothing of their support for personalities that in some instances literally the day before had been calling them pathetic incel losers that live in their parents' basement). Its no surprise so many of them got taken in by the cryptobros and investabros.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I still remember the Gamerbaters that were seemingly shocked to find that the media focused around an industry relies on the industry they're covering to operate, if not financially, then for access (meaning, if all you do is be hypercritical, the industry is not going to give you interviews and other access; it doesn't inherently mean its nefarious but it obviously does bring some bias; even dumber is how they often would openly say they want the media to fluff the companies they personally liked in that manner but the moment it was something they didn't it was the worst atrocity ever committed in human history, how dare they call out gamerbros sending rape and death threats, that's such a traitorous backstabbing! To say nothing of their support for personalities that in some instances literally the day before had been calling them pathetic incel losers that live in their parents' basement). Its no surprise so many of them got taken in by the cryptobros and investabros.

Eh, they're some of the same people in both camps. Lots of overlap with the gamergate idiots ...