Elon Musk now owns 9.2% of twitter...update.. will soon be the sole owner as Board of Directors accepts his purchase offer

Page 214 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Almost all the fire risk goes away if Tesla switches fully to lithium iron phosphate batteries (no thermal runaway, non-toxic, heck you can usually drill holes right through them without issue).
plus LiFePO4 batteries tend to last 5x to 10x more cycles. Aren't they used in the Chinese Tesla vehicles?
LiFePO4 can still ignite, but it takes more effort as you indicate. Usually uneven discharge on the cells do them in.

LiFePO4 is a great replacement for deep cycle applications, but they have some disadvantages vs Li-ion:
much heavier per kwh
more bulky per kwh
uneven wearing, some cells go quicker then others - causes issues for both parallel and series wiring
- when LiFePO4 cell voltage drops below a certain point, resistance drops off quickly. Carelessly wired in parallel will result in other cells in the string discharging through the weak cell triggering failure mode.
- when LiFePO4 is wired in series for higher voltage applications they tend to go out of balance leading to premature failure.

extreme poor performance at low temperatures
- charging the battery at below 32F carries high risk of permanent damage
- complete failure to function at 14F

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The cells are all fused off from each other. Like an automobile fuse, but connected to each individual cell.

It is not enough to have a short in the pack.

In order for a fire to start, a short must occur inside an individual cell. Even if one cell catastrophically explodes, that is not enough to start a fire. Each cell is surrounded by coolant, and the energy from one cell going pop is not going to breach the cell next to it instantly.

Cells need to be compromised and boil off the coolant that surrounds them to start a chain reaction. This is not something that just happens. It takes time. It takes either massive damage or a manufacturing defect.

But yea, once a chain reaction starts, it is not going to stop.
I see they've thought this one out. Good to know. I worked in a biomedical department at a teaching hospital at one time, I hated to do maintenance on a portable X-ray machine with a 120V in series single cell battery pack of NICADs. No proper non-metallic tools. Steady hands.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Elmo is having a semi lucid moment on Twitter the past couple of days.

Something about blowing both his own feet off by getting into politics on twitz. Either way, its entirely too late the brand is already burned to the ground.
Plus 99% says he is going to snap back into fantasy world in a minute.

(Maybe he needs a resupply on the magic schrooms from Rogan?)

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000

Something about blowing both his own feet off by getting into politics on twitz. Either way, its entirely too late the brand is already burned to the ground.

I used to like Rogan. I know he has a tendency to pursue conspiracy stuff, but he has always been able to reign himself in from falling too far into the rabbit hole. But lately, it's like that part of him got replaced with the crazies.

Must be something in the Texas water.

Reactions: cytg111

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Most likely it's because the Q4 reports finally hit his desk. The twitter numbers have got to be an absolute trainwreck with users and advertisers leaving the platform in droves.
He's probably just now realizing what twitter's former management knew well: that the market for far-right social media platforms that don't tolerate liberal speech is already over-saturated.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I used to like Rogan. I know he has a tendency to pursue conspiracy stuff, but he has always been able to reign himself in from falling too far into the rabbit hole. But lately, it's like that part of him got replaced with the crazies.

Must be something in the Texas water.
Same. But it's become clear, specially after he's gotten the FU money, that his inner nature is someone that need those "others" to kick on, and for the crowd he usually hangs with in the UFC, that is libtards and woke bitches. Covid really showed us who this moron is, he came out in flying colors in that one.
Also besties with treasonous sandy hook denier Alex Jones.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Same. But it's become clear, specially after he's gotten the FU money, that his inner nature is someone that need those "others" to kick on, and for the crowd he usually hangs with in the UFC, that is libtards and woke bitches. Covid really showed us who this moron is, he came out in flying colors in that one.
Also besties with treasonous sandy hook denier Alex Jones.
Joe Rogan is a classic example of white male fragility. And add short white man into it.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Most likely it's because the Q4 reports finally hit his desk. The twitter numbers have got to be an absolute trainwreck with users and advertisers leaving the platform in droves.
He's probably just now realizing what twitter's former management knew well: that the market for far-right social media platforms that don't tolerate liberal speech is already over-saturated.

Twitter is a hobby job for him, a vanity project. Bad as those numbers probably are they probably pale in significance to what has happened (and will continue to happen) to the vast bulk of his wealth invested in Tesla. Admittedly many can make very cogent arguments that what's happening with Tesla is the inevitable popping of a bubble, but the fact of the matter is Musk is the main reason for both the creation of that bubble and also of it's spectacular collapse. That goes to the very core of his self perception as a very smart and astute businessman.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Twitter is a hobby job for him, a vanity project. Bad as those numbers probably are they probably pale in significance to what has happened (and will continue to happen) to the vast bulk of his wealth invested in Tesla. Admittedly many can make very cogent arguments that what's happening with Tesla is the inevitable popping of a bubble, but the fact of the matter is Musk is the main reason for both the creation of that bubble and also of it's spectacular collapse. That goes to the very core of his self perception as a very smart and astute businessman.

There's a saying about mistaking leverage for brilliance, and we've been a lot of that come crashing down lately.

Reactions: hal2kilo

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Remember the sink picture when he moved in at Twitter HQ? Sinking alright, might even say its tanking. Tanking in a sea of his own shit. Sad.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Nope, that's a dick mobile. The cheapest 2023 f150 trim with 4x4 starts at 71k. 67k for a 2022. Yeah blah blah used is better blah blah, my point is it's fucking expensive now, across the board. Hell Tesla vehicles don't even seem expensive compared to this shit anymore. Remember when people freaked out over the 35k price tag on the 3's as being out of touch with the target market? That's on par with a Honda Accord today.
I just priced out an F150 4x4 at $40k.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Anyone think this would be a good time to buy? I have a few bucks I need to park somewhere that it will earn a bit of a return.
Tesla was way overpriced at $400, but $100 is looking like a reasonable number.
I'm not into stocks at all but if someone said where do you think a safe place to stash some cash would be I probably wouldn't say somewhere fronted by Elon Musk at the moment!
I mean it might go up, it might go down. All depending on Elons brain chemistry and public tweets at the time.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Anyone think this would be a good time to buy? I have a few bucks I need to park somewhere that it will earn a bit of a return.
Tesla was way overpriced at $400, but $100 is looking like a reasonable number.
The PE ratio is still very high for a car company, or really any industrial.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
If the company is growing and making money, I don't much care what Elon is up to. Things get crappy enough they'll retire Elon, and produce a model lgbtq that will rocket Tesla into the country's good graces again.

It's not like Musk ruined electric cars, I don't think he even ruined twitter, last I heard it was still up and running anyway.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If the company is growing and making money, I don't much care what Elon is up to. Things get crappy enough they'll retire Elon, and produce a model lgbtq that will rocket Tesla into the country's good graces again.

It's not like Musk ruined electric cars, I don't think he even ruined twitter, last I heard it was still up and running anyway.
It doesn't matter what you think of Elon. He's spooking the market, the shit he gets up to very much affects the price of any investment you make into his companies.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Stick to index funds then.

How does one buy those? I would like to look into it at some point but no idea how to even buy them or pick them. It looks like it's similar to GICs so guess you have to go through a bank?

Edit: I thought I was in the stock market thread for a sec... My coffee did not kick in yet.

Speaking of Twitter the domain still has not been renewed and will expire on the 21st. Hope he didn't fire the guy that has the registrar username and password lol. I imagine for a high profile site like that the registrar probably won't just drop the domain though. Even if they did there's a whole process that takes months before it actually goes to auction.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
How does one buy those? I would like to look into it at some point but no idea how to even buy them or pick them. It looks like it's similar to GICs so guess you have to go through a bank?

Edit: I thought I was in the stock market thread for a sec... My coffee did not kick in yet.

Speaking of Twitter the domain still has not been renewed and will expire on the 21st. Hope he didn't fire the guy that has the registrar username and password lol. I imagine for a high profile site like that the registrar probably won't just drop the domain though. Even if they did there's a whole process that takes months before it actually goes to auction.
Here are the Vanguard index ETFs. You can also buy their mutual funds. The ETFs you can buy just like stocks in any brokerage account, so it is easy to get into. The mutual funds have a minimum investment amount.