Elon Musk now owns 9.2% of twitter...update.. will soon be the sole owner as Board of Directors accepts his purchase offer

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Some speculation is that he is planning to renegotiate a lower price, so the shit posting might help with that.

cCVqHor.png
Twitter’s board didn’t seem super enthused with the current deal so I’m not so
sure they would be interested in a substantially lower priced one. It was also evident that he was struggling to find financiers and even with a lower price for Twitter the value of his collateral is also a lot lower.

Reactions: Brovane

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The point of all sci-fi is not to be realistic, but to also be able to create an explorative canvas upon which the entireties of the human condition can be examined and parsed and enjoyed and laughed at or cried at or whatever - whether it is a mix of phantasmagorical or realistic or both.

Kind-of true, though surely part of the definition of "science fiction" is that it creates that canvas while staying within the boundaries of what _might_ be scientifically valid. Otherwise it's fantasy or another genre entirely (that can also do that 'human condition' thing). And what I'm skeptical about is how plausible or carefully-thought-through is the take on that 'human condition' that a lot of SF goes in for.

I mean, I dunno, it's all kind of fun anyway, even the stuff with what seems to me to be pretty rancid politics (*cough* Heinlein *cough*). One reason I really like HG Wells is that he was always just so damn _ambivalent_ about technology and the future. He could never make up his mind whether he was a techo-evangelist or a techno-cassandra.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
sure they would be interested in a substantially lower priced one. It was also evident that he was struggling to find financiers and even with a lower price for Twitter the value of his collateral is also a lot lower.

It might be better if at this point Musk just walks away and loses his $1B deposit. Loosing $1B is a lot better IMHO than being in the middle of the debate between the right and left about free speech on Social Media. Whatever happens he is bound to probably piss off everyone. Space is cool and so are electric cars. Focus on the cool stuff and let his friends like Peter Thiel wade into the free speech on social media fight if it means so much to them.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It might be better if at this point Musk just walks away and loses his $1B deposit. Loosing $1B is a lot better IMHO than being in the middle of the debate between the right and left about free speech on Social Media. Whatever happens he is bound to probably piss off everyone. Space is cool and so are electric cars. Focus on the cool stuff and let his friends like Peter Thiel wade into the free speech on social media fight if it means so much to them.
Imagine being so stupid that you put yourself in a position where losing a billion dollars is the best option you have. Imagine thinking that person is a genius.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

But if he does enough damage they may be in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation.

Musk shooting his mouth off, seems to be causing employee churn and decision turmoil, as well as loss of confidence.

If Musk abandons them, they end up in a worse position than before he started this nonsense with a falling stock.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I dont know dude, I think you're saying it out loud yourself, the magic stuff aint scifi.
Only Marvel thing that comes to mind as science fiction-ISH is Guardians of the Galaxy.

Which is what I said all along: "...most popular Science Fiction, is really Fantasy...".

That would be Star Wars, Marvel, Star Trek, etc... Peaple call this Science Fiction because it has space ships, robots and ray guns, but that isn't what makes Science Fiction.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
What an idiot. Obsessing over fake accounts that he had to know actually existed before he made his bid. Well he'll only lose a billion if he backs out and probably 10 billion or more if he actually ends up buying Twitter. Sometimes following your own counsel doesn't always work out so well.

Reactions: iRONic

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Which is what I said all along: "...most popular Science Fiction, is really Fantasy...".

That would be Star Wars, Marvel, Star Trek, etc... Peaple call this Science Fiction because it has space ships, robots and ray guns, but that isn't what makes Science Fiction.

I think we agree more than not.

I would pitch Trek over Star Wars though cause, well, "Galaxy far away"... it has all the traits of a fairy tale that is just played out in a space setting. Trek on the other hand at least sort of tries to connect the story back to us... and they had the tablet down for one? Quantum transportation? Its still ridiculous yes... (they *do* take on the ideas of the dangers of AI (borg) and intelligences so far beyond us that, can we even comprehend them? (Q)).

Again, The Expanse was, is, a gem.

Last edited:

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

Except for the part that spawned this, where you said if we managed climate on Mars it would help us manage the climate on Earth.

This is where I first mentioned that this was Fantasy (as opposed to Science Fiction).

We should probably have an OT Club thread on the waste of resources involved in trying to put people on Mars, the only benefit of which seems to be stroking Musks Ego.

Reactions: cytg111

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
What an idiot. Obsessing over fake accounts that he had to know actually existed before he made his bid. Well he'll only lose a billion if he backs out and probably 10 billion or more if he actually ends up buying Twitter. Sometimes following your own counsel doesn't always work out so well.

Actually, if he backs out, the Twitter board could sue him for breach of contract...potentially costing him MUCH more than the $1 billion.

Reactions: pmv

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Actually, if he backs out, the Twitter board could sue him for breach of contract...potentially costing him MUCH more than the $1 billion.

"Though he said he remained committed to buying Twitter, Musk may be tempted to throw in the towel given the losses he's incurring on paper with regard to his Tesla equity ownership. Shares of Tesla are down about 24% over the last month. "

Lol.

"
Musk's reasoning for putting a transaction on hold may be similar: he might want Twitter to lower its sale price. Twitter shares fell more than 8% on Friday and are down about 23% from Musk's agreed-upon purchase price of $54.20 per share. Part of the dip is related to an overall slump in technology stocks this month. The Nasdaq has fallen another 11% since the market close on April 25, the day Twitter accepted Musk's offer.

"This is probably a negotiation tactic on behalf of Elon," Toni Sacconaghi, Bernstein senior research analyst, said Friday on CNBC's "Squawk Box." "The market has come down a lot. He's probably using the guise of true active users as a negotiation ploy."

Musk may feel some pressure or obligation to other potential investors in Twitter to lower the price, even if the world's wealthiest person is more price agnostic.

Musk is in talks with outside investors for both equity and preferred financing to lessen his personal stake in Twitter. If he can get a lower price for the social media company, the returns could be higher for outside investors if and when Twitter returns to public ownership or is resold.
"

- I cant even about this part. What the actual fuck?

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
SpaceX/Mars Thread on OT, to move that discussion if it's worth continuing:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
"Though he said he remained committed to buying Twitter, Musk may be tempted to throw in the towel given the losses he's incurring on paper with regard to his Tesla equity ownership. Shares of Tesla are down about 24% over the last month. "

Lol.

"
Musk's reasoning for putting a transaction on hold may be similar: he might want Twitter to lower its sale price. Twitter shares fell more than 8% on Friday and are down about 23% from Musk's agreed-upon purchase price of $54.20 per share. Part of the dip is related to an overall slump in technology stocks this month. The Nasdaq has fallen another 11% since the market close on April 25, the day Twitter accepted Musk's offer.

"This is probably a negotiation tactic on behalf of Elon," Toni Sacconaghi, Bernstein senior research analyst, said Friday on CNBC's "Squawk Box." "The market has come down a lot. He's probably using the guise of true active users as a negotiation ploy."

Musk may feel some pressure or obligation to other potential investors in Twitter to lower the price, even if the world's wealthiest person is more price agnostic.

Musk is in talks with outside investors for both equity and preferred financing to lessen his personal stake in Twitter. If he can get a lower price for the social media company, the returns could be higher for outside investors if and when Twitter returns to public ownership or is resold.
"

- I cant even about this part. What the actual fuck?

His shenanigans have driven the stock price down...so he wants a lower sale price. Part of his tactics all along, I suspect.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

I would pitch Trek over Star Wars though cause, well, "Galaxy far away"... it has all the traits of a fairy tale that is just played out in a space setting. Trek on the other hand at least sort of tries to connect the story back to us... and they had the tablet down for one? Quantum transportation? Its still ridiculous yes... (they *do* take on the ideas of the dangers of AI (borg) and intelligences so far beyond us that, can we even comprehend them? (Q)).

Again, The Expanse was, is, a gem.
Don't forget the sci-fi comedy. Battlefield Earth.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Imagine being so stupid that you put yourself in a position where losing a billion dollars is the best option you have. Imagine thinking that person is a genius.

Now just imagine that $1 Billion dollars is less than 1% of your net-worth. For Musk, $1B is YOLO money.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Now just imagine that $1 Billion dollars is less than 1% of your net-worth. For Musk, $1B is YOLO money.
Sure. A billion is a billion no matter how rich you are. It stings even if it doesn't matter. Still better that than a $44B headache to gain literally nothing, or worse, lose part of that investment.