Elon Musk now owns 9.2% of twitter...update.. will soon be the sole owner as Board of Directors accepts his purchase offer

Page 157 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
You can be tolerant of libel and slander for profit? Libel and slander that demonizes victims of crime for profit?

More egregiously, libel and slander that demonizes victims of crimes for a specific political end for profit?

Free Speech has legal and social responsibility and legal and social consequences. All freedom does.

It seems to me you want to remove those responsibilities and consequences.
Free speech is something a society can have if it's levelled up enough.
At the end of the day you're looking at this.

And seeing that the US is battling with its own internal fascism tensions one could argue that boosting disinformation up on steroids is probably not the wisest strategy right now.

You just had Alex Jones in mid tier leader role push an insurrection on the capitol for fucks sake and someone thinks it's a good idea to have this moron "speak his mind" free of consequence?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Free speech is something a society can have if it's levelled up enough.
At the end of the day you're looking at this.

And seeing that the US is battling with its own internal fascism tensions one could argue that boosting disinformation up on steroids is probably not the wisest strategy right now.

You just had Alex Jones in mid tier leader role push an insurrection on the capitol for fucks sake and someone thinks it's a good idea to have this moron "speak his mind" free of consequence?

Absolutely. Intolerance can NEVER be tolerated. The best way to do that is overwhelming social rejection.

That's why the right is now trying to undermine democracy in the world. Their intolerance is a minority position and untenable in democratic counties. They KNOW this. Which is why they are being groomed for authoritarian rule and are worshiping authoritarian dictators over ANY elected leaders.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Absolutely. Intolerance can NEVER be tolerated. The best way to do that is overwhelming social rejection.

That's why the right is now trying to undermine democracy in the world. Their intolerance is a minority position and untenable in democratic counties. They KNOW this. Which is why they are being groomed for authoritarian rule and are worshiping authoritarian dictators over ANY elected leaders.
100%, case in point with twitter, social rejection is choosing not to buy adidas if its associated with defcon3-Kanye. Free speech wins again.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Seriously, where did you read the 50 number?

I can think of a few that would arguably pass for being excusable: "Modest" embellishment for dramatic effect? Evoking creative license in lieu of quibbling over statistical semantics? Typo? Memory glitch? All of which would/could

When their minority include, among the other dregs of our society, the nation's racists, supremacists and religious fanatics and their sole purpose has devolved into seizing power and indefinitely keeping it for themselves, their only recourse is to mount an authoritarian state via exploiting every hateful fear driven emotional nerve ending of the nation's citizens, a very familiar modus operandi of the world's most familiar despised dictators. Democracy has proven to be their downfall, therefore democracy must be their worst enemy, their nemesis. Ergo, democracy must be eliminated by the nation's self-described "patriots" in order to "Make America Great Again"..........for themselves.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Tell me you don't know how IT works without telling me you don't know how IT works.
We had a station full of firefighters. We fired them all a few weeks back and the town hasn’t burned down yet. What were those firefighters doing all day?

For what it’s worth I think there is probably something to the idea that these tech companies had become over staffed in their quest to vacuum up all the talent but it seems almost impossible to believe this will not have serious medium to long term effects.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
My sense is that he's more reasonable than the wokes that were running the joint, which is why he let back not only Trump but even Griffin.

In addition, I read that he removed over 7,000 people, and it's down to 50, and yet the system's still running fine. What were those thousands of employees doing?
This post explains your posts in the Ukraine thread. Batshit and stupid is no way to go through life.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
You can be tolerant of libel and slander for profit? Libel and slander that demonizes victims of crime for profit?

More egregiously, libel and slander that demonizes victims of crimes for a specific political end for profit?

Free Speech has legal and social responsibility and legal and social consequences. All freedom does.

It seems to me you want to remove those responsibilities and consequences.
Where are the boner pills and toe fungus advertisers going to go without Jones?

• Haha
Reactions: Fanatical Meat

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
Your numbers are way off. The whole company was aound 7.5k, and I believe that engineering was around 3000, and it's probably down to around 1-1.5k engineers and 2.5k employees in total. 50 wouldn't be enough to manage the data centers alone. I'm not sure why anyone expected stuff to just break so quickly. They still have a lot of staff, and stuff breaks down when the weight gets too high. Engineering also worked on new features, not just maintenance. I assume that maintenance is a larger part now. You can also work more hours, or accept smaller issues that creep in without having them fixed.

So, why were others saying that the layoffs would lead to Twitter services falling apart?

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
This post explains your posts in the Ukraine thread. Batshit and stupid is no way to go through life.

My posts in that thread came from ideas raised by Kennan, Mearsheimer, Chomsky, Sachs, and others. The first is notable because he was one of the first to raise the conditions for containment:

Given that, I think one has to be a complete batshit to think that discussing the Ukraine issues is the same as discussing Twitter issues.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Sorry, I think it was a joke:

Probably in response to news like this:

Over exaggeration to drive home a point, ok, but the truth sort of gets lost there, I think you can drive most businesses with half the staff for an amount of time. Doesnt mean its sustainable. Doesnt mean its profitable.
It makes sense that laid off employees expresses the worst case scenario and to be fair, I understand that it is acting up. Half of top 100 advertisers have fucked off. People are leaving in droves for post.news so that may ease the load.

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
From the same Week article:

On Thursday evening, the version of the Twitter app used by employees began slowing down, according to one source familiar with the matter, who estimated that the public version of Twitter was at risk of breaking during the night.

"If it does break, there is no one left to fix things in many areas," the person said, who declined to be named for fear of retribution.

“I know of six critical systems (like ‘serving tweets’ levels of critical) which no longer have any engineers,” a former employee said. “There is no longer even a skeleton crew manning the system. It will continue to coast until it runs into something, and then it will stop.”

Counting down to collapse....

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
Over exaggeration to drive home a point, ok, but the truth sort of gets lost there, I think you can drive most businesses with half the staff for an amount of time. Doesnt mean its sustainable. Doesnt mean its profitable.
It makes sense that laid off employees expresses the worst case scenario and to be fair, I understand that it is acting up. Half of top 100 advertisers have fucked off. People are leaving in droves for post.news so that may ease the load.

I read about that here:

But I also heard that many companies are experiencing problems, like Facebook.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
My posts in that thread came from ideas raised by Kennan, Mearsheimer, Chomsky, Sachs, and others. The first is notable because he was one of the first to raise the conditions for containment:

Given that, I think one has to be a complete batshit to think that discussing the Ukraine issues is the same as discussing Twitter issues.
The common thread is you are dumb as a box of rocks with little in the way of critical thinking skills. Also thank you for proving my point with your response.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I think trouble takes place when there aren't enough IT people. Unless the ones who were fired weren't really so?
Barring bad luck, IT coasts for a while without staff. It always breaks eventually (variable based on size, never long though).