Elon Musk now owns 9.2% of twitter...update.. will soon be the sole owner as Board of Directors accepts his purchase offer

Page 140 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Is it good that everyone I follow is tweeting out their email addresses like passengers on a certain steamship threw deck chairs into the frigid North Atlantic?

Who wants to buy some advertising?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Hey, this is Truth's moment to shine!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cytg111 and dank69

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Latest from Musky. Sign up to slave day and night for him, or get out of the company:
I'd take the severance, but then again, could you actually Trust Musk to pay it?

Quoting my previous question, and the answer is apparently not. Now HR is telling anyone who didn't sign the pledge than the have "resigned", and thus aren't entitled to severance.

There is no low Musk won't stoop to. Total bond villain. Remember that thing, I promised: I lied.

Screenshot 2022-11-17 205914.png

Image instead of twit link to avoid driving more traffic to Musk.

Jan 25, 2011
He will be left with what amounts to slave labor. People in visas who have no choice but to stay. I think that number is closer to 1000 though, not 238. I am also hearing they disabled everyone’s access until Monday to the building and are “closed” for the weekend.

so… hooray for Truth Social’s moment to shine?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
He will be left with what amounts to slave labor. People in visas who have no choice but to stay. I think that number is closer to 1000 though, not 238. I am also hearing they disabled everyone’s access until Monday to the building and are “closed” for the weekend.

so… hooray for Truth Social’s moment to shine?

He's paranoid somebody will sabotage the platform. Nobody has to do anything, with the amount of institutional knowledge that he just canned the site will fail sooner or later.

Reactions: Number1 and dank69
Jan 25, 2011
Man former employees are tweeting under the hashtag #LoveWhereYouWorked and it’s amazing how long most of them were there. 7-10 years is common. Kind of heartbreaking to see so many left with nothing but giving up.

Reactions: Number1

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
In Zorin’s defense he did have an actual business plan unlike Musk.

Fair point. (Though TBH I can't remember a single thing about the plot of that movie - just Christopher Walken being Christopher Walken and Roger Moore being too old.)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
As much as I knew this would be a dumpster fire fast, I never thought it would be this fast and the fire would come from a nuclear meltdown

That guy is the worst

Reactions: Zorba

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Fair point. (Though TBH I can't remember a single thing about the plot of that movie - just Christopher Walken being Christopher Walken and Roger Moore being too old.)

He was going to corner the semiconductor market by destroying Silicon Valley. Like it was a legit workable plan for a supervillain.

Reactions: Number1 and pmv

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm having trouble believing anybody could be this stupid for real. Someone mentioned Bond villain above but it's worse than that. It's beyond cartoonist at this point.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I'm having trouble believing anybody could be this stupid for real. Someone mentioned Bond villain above but it's worse than that. It's beyond cartoonist at this point.

It would have been laughed out of the writers room for "Silicon Valley". Even Hooli wasn't this far fetched.

Dec 10, 2005
Could be that the anti-democracy Peter Thiel gang egged their buddy on in order to sink the Twitter ship, given that it had been a vehicle for embarrassing rich people with truth, and we know how thin-skinned some of them are.

Reactions: dank69

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
As much as I knew this would be a dumpster fire fast, I never thought it would be this fast and the fire would come from a nuclear meltdown

That guy is the worst
Headlining at NYTimes right now (edited snip from the top):

Resignations Roil Twitter as Elon Musk Tries Persuading Some Workers to Stay
Mr. Musk, Twitter’s new owner, had given employees a Thursday deadline to decide whether to leave or stay “to build a breakthrough Twitter 2.0.”

Elon Musk and his advisers held meetings with some Twitter workers to try to stop them from leaving.

Elon Musk and his advisers held meetings with some Twitter workers to try to stop them from leaving.

By Ryan Mac, Mike Isaac and David McCabe
Nov. 17, 2022
Hours before a Thursday deadline that Elon Musk had given Twitter employees to decide whether to stay or leave their jobs, the social media company appeared to be in disarray.
Mr. Musk and his advisers held meetings with some Twitter workers whom they deemed “critical” to stop them from leaving, four people with knowledge of the conversations said. He sent out confusing messages about the company’s remote work policy, appearing to soften his stance on not allowing people to work from home before warning their managers, according to those people and internal emails viewed by The New York Times.

All the while, two people said, resignations started to roll in. By the deadline, 5 p.m. Eastern time, hundreds of Twitter employees appeared to have decided to depart with three months of severance pay, the people said. Twitter later announced via email that it would close “our office buildings” and disable employee badge access until Monday.
- - - -
Methinks Mr. Twitter may have lost his $44 billion! :D

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Some interesting remarks by NYTimes readers:

Nomind
Nowhere3h ago
For Mr. Musk, "free speech" is great so long as no one in his company disagrees with him. Then free speech gets you fired. And if you do want to keep working at Twitter, you better be prepared to work 100+ hour weeks like the boss. (Even though Mr. Musk will only do that for a few weeks before moving on to his other investments.) In other words, to be a Twitter 2.0 employee, don't have a family, don't have friends, sleep in your office, compromise your health and well being, and hope that it's all worth it in the end. George Orwell couldn't have written a more dystopian scene.
10 Replies1004 Recommended
- - - -

AMEWX
Seattle3h ago
This is the most 'emperor has no clothes' moment I can remember in my lifetime. Musk has indiscriminately fired teams of engineers that would make most tech companies drool, engineers who have offers within minutes in their public tweet replies. All of the Musk fans who think he is a genius obviously do not understand the harm he is causing this company in real time, in full public view. Every step he takes seems more tone-deaf than the last. Engineers are not interchangeable, and he is firing brain surgeons like he can replace them with nurses (no offense intended to nurses, just a different skill set!). A high-caliber engineer that makes a senior engineer's salary in San Francisco has options and does not want to work 80 hours a week for a man-child who will publicly humiliate their respected peers. Twitter needs a massive number of good engineers, and the effects of losing this much talent this quickly are showing on-cue on the site. I do not see how his reputation recovers from this.
3 Replies 510 Recommend
- - - -

Andrew
Indiana3h ago
If anyone is wondering what has just happened. Elon fired 50% of Twitters employees when he first arrived and then fired more over the last few weeks. This week he delivered an ultimatum to the remaining employees. Quit and get three months severance or stay and prepare to work yourself to death for me and apparently around 75% of the remaining staff quit this week so they closed the offices through Monday. Since Elon bought Twitter, they have lost around 88% of their employees.
8 Replies 357 Recommend
- - - -
Muse comment: If that last one is true, Twtr ist kaput!
- - - -
Quit and get three months severance or stay and prepare to work yourself to death ^ Which you will have to, to make up for all the workers that quit. Elon - getting his South African Gold Miner yas-boss, on. What's it like - becoming a 21st Century equivalent of a wage slave?

Reply14 Recommend
- - - -
You would think that putting a match to $44B would instill some humility in the person holding the match. In this case, I wouldn't bet on it.
- - - -
Musk may drive Twitter off a cliff before Trump gets a chance to be reinstated. What a promising torrent of recent news: the Red Trickle and Trump's downward spiral, Dems keeping the Senate, Zuckerberg eviscerating Meta, Russia kicked out of Kherson, Bolsanaro ousted in Brazil. I don't know how much more schadenfreude I can take, but I am willing to find out. :D
- - - -
It's like a masterclass in how not to run a business: demoralize employees, alienate advertisers, chase away customers.
- - - -
I'm lost as to why Twitter staff wouldn't sign up to become an erratic billionaire's slave? Is Twitter hiring for key talent? I can't wait to apply, and be treated like an Egyptian slave, kill myself for a CEO loose cannon, to maintain an increasingly toxic platform that scares off its main revenue stream of brand advertising. Dragging stones to build a pharaoh's pyramid in BC Egypt sounds more inspirational.
- - - -
Twitter may be down to less than 1000 employees after today and lots of rumors on the Internet that entire important teams resigned en masse. The chance of something breaking and twitter going down is very high especially with expected load from the World Cup. On the plus side it'll save on server costs.
- - - -
Senior engineer here, who has worked for some of the most demanding US tech giants. Once you have spent years / decades building global solutions, earning multiple professional level industry certifications and have gained an expert knowledge on how information moves globally….you enter a select circle. A circle where jobs find you. Jobs that pay a lot of money, with generous stock options. Jobs where you work hard, but you are valued. A circle where you can call someone and you have a job immediately. When you see a CEO taking glee in publicly firing engineers, you have poisoned the well. I can only imagine the deluge of skilled engineers running for the exit. Skilled engineers have so many other options. Twitter is in real trouble.
- - - -
Apparently the lockout happened because the guy whose job it was to turn badge access on/off quit. Then some fool tried to mess with that system and ended up locking everyone out of Twitter HQ. Then Elon called this guy begging for his help .... Hilarious!
- - - -
Hey NYT, When a company cans 1/2 of its workforce, hundreds more resign voluntarily, and the company locks out all employees from its headquarters - it's okay to say the company is in disarray, not merely that it "appears" to be in disarray. :p

Last edited:
  • Wow