Ellen Pao loses her lawsuit, now she is unemployable.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
THIS is why my first thought was, "She'll be fine - a feminist organization will snap her up to lead the chorus of wailing tears."

THIS article was an interesting read.
lmao +1

From the article:

That seems to be a running theme among social activists today. People these days are so quick to shower attention and solidarity towards whoever claims the most victimhood, that the legitimate value of their insight and efforts doesn't even register. The best voices (both specifically for their cause and for society at large) are being passed over because the people most focused on enacting positive change aren't as compelling as the people who are symbols for suffering.

As an aside, something I find strange is how much, for example in the comments of the article, people are talking about software development and "brogrammer culture" in direct relation to Pao's case. When the VC world has very little to do with the end workers of the software industry. Even if they both have a big presence in Silicon Valley. Maybe VC is not a very good environment for women, maybe that's not really fair and could stand to change.. but it's also probably not a very good environment for almost as many men. Especially the programmer men who are blamed for everything. This cavalcade of introverts and mechanical thinkers wouldn't last a minute in VC.

Speaking of which, it's kind of fascinating how there was a lot of focus (for instance, ala Occupy and what have you) on how VC firms, hedge fund managers, etc attracted a lot of greedy and bad people. But that's died down and the message is now about how to get more women, and by extension, more people doing this.
Well said.

How many men do you know who slept their way to the top?
Well, there's me . . .

No, wait, that was someone else.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
And fired for being terrible. I wonder what he will do. No one wants her. People like her are toxic employees and are poison to any franchise that picks her up.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
My 2 cents.

She could of easily of stayed at Reddit until the very end of her interim period because her job was basically one simple thing, i.e. do not rock the boat and piss people off.

Apparently that was too difficult for her to achieve. So once things started to spiral out of control because of her actions that pissed offed the Reddit community (which is what supports Reddit as a business model) and those folks turned on her she was pretty much toast.

The reason for her resigning can pretty neatly be summed as,...."I'm going to go ahead and quit now so that they won't fire me later".

Especially since she, herself stated that the board gave her a milestone she knew she couldn't reach because again she burned her bridges behind her (pissed on the community of volunteers that help to prop up Reddit's community) and thus reaching that newly assigned milestone set by the board was impossible as it required those aforementioned bridges NOT to be burned
down in the first place.

Last edited:

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
I like the headlines of "mysogyny" being attributed to her leaving reddit. I guess Victoria Taylor's firing couldn't have been mysogyny since she was fired by a woman. Lmao.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
fortune_pao_fletcher_timeline2-600x313.jpeg

Vanity Fair
Pao’s résumé was as gold-plated as Fletcher’s. A Princeton graduate, she also had Harvard law and business degrees. .. Their marriage, barely four months after they met, had surprised some friends, in large part because, for several years, Fletcher had been living with his longtime boyfriend, Hobart “Bo” Fowlkes Jr. But whatever had brought them together, they resonated as a couple. With their wealth and success, theirs was a powerful American Dream narrative—a story of obstacles overcome, and brilliance, hard work, intense drive, and ambition rewarded.

And then everything seemed to fall apart. During the last two years, Fletcher and Pao have become embroiled in bitter and sensational conflicts that have been the talk of Wall Street and Silicon Valley. In February 2011, to the shock and titillation of New York society, Fletcher sued the co-op board of the Dakota, the iconic 129-year-old apartment building on Manhattan’s Upper West Side whose famous residents have included Yoko Ono, Lauren Bacall, and Leonard Bernstein, and where John Lennon was shot to death in 1980. Furious when the Dakota’s board denied his application to buy his fourth apartment in the building, a $5.7 million two-bedroom, Fletcher sued the board for racial discrimination. In his complaint, Fletcher painted the Dakota, one of the city’s most exclusive co-ops, as a hive of bigotry, where victims were said to include the singer Roberta Flack and the actor Antonio Banderas...

As the Dakota board would tell the court, Fletcher’s application had been rejected because the co-op’s finance committee—a group of high-powered financiers and lawyers—had concluded that Fletcher could not afford the apartment. Far from being a successful hedge fund, Fletcher’s fam, according to the Dakota, was overstating its assets and losing money. But that was only the beginning. The Dakota lawsuit—which is winding its way to trial in New York’s State Supreme Court—set in motion a series of events that have put Fletcher on the ropes financially. Today, fam is being sued by three Louisiana public pension funds trying to recover $145 million; his main hedge fund filed for bankruptcy; others were ordered liquidated by a Cayman Islands judge; and aspects of his business are under investigation by the S.E.C. and the F.B.I.
Might not have a job. But, at least, she still has her husband...

Uno

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
My 2 cents.

She could of easily of stayed at Reddit until the very end of her interim period because her job was basically one simple thing, i.e. do not rock the boat and piss people off.

Apparently that was too difficult for her to achieve. So once things started to spiral out of control because of her actions that pissed offed the Reddit community (which is what supports Reddit as a business model) and those folks turned on her she was pretty much toast.

The reason for her resigning can pretty neatly be summed as,...."I'm going to go ahead and quit now so that they won't fire me later".

Especially since she, herself stated that the board gave her a milestone she knew she couldn't reach because again she burned her bridges behind her (pissed on the community of volunteers that help to prop up Reddit's community) and thus reaching that newly assigned milestone set by the board was impossible as it required those aforementioned bridges NOT to be burned
down in the first place.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...dismissal-at-reddit/?smid=tw-nytimesbits&_r=1

Looks like she didn't rock the boat, the co-founder of Reddit, Alexis Ohanian, fired that lady and then let Ellen Pao take the heat for it. Scumbag move on his part, but she took it like a trooper and did not pass the buck, blame him or the company, even though it wasn't her decision. Respect.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
He should be unemployable. He filmed himself being a total dick to a young girl unable to walk away, physically threaten him or even debate him. Then he put it on the Internet to show everyone what a wonderful guy he is. Dude is literally too stupid to be trusted with a company's money, reputation, or sharp objects.

I dunno, I think he has paid for his crime in spades. Poor fucker is on food stamps now. He learned his lesson, the punishment has far exceeded the crime.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I dunno, I think he has paid for his crime in spades. Poor fucker is on food stamps now. He learned his lesson, the punishment has far exceeded the crime.
lol When I first read this I thought "Wait - Ellen Pao is a dude?"

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...dismissal-at-reddit/?smid=tw-nytimesbits&_r=1

Looks like she didn't rock the boat, the co-founder of Reddit, Alexis Ohanian, fired that lady and then let Ellen Pao take the heat for it. Scumbag move on his part, but she took it like a trooper and did not pass the buck, blame him or the company, even though it wasn't her decision. Respect.

Mr. Wong "abruptly quit" in 2014, so he wouldn't have been privy to this situation. I doubt anything is concrete right now.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Mr. Wong "abruptly quit" in 2014, so he wouldn't have been privy to this situation. I doubt anything is concrete right now.

Straight for the horse's (Alexis Ohanian's) mouth for doubters like you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/3cucye/an_old_team_at_reddit/csz2p3i?context=3

[–]kn0thing[A] -2153 points 3 days ago

Ellen is a class act. I have gotten to know Ellen well as we’ve worked closely together over the past eight months and I’m impressed by her hard work and integrity as she’s strived to do what’s right for both reddit the company and reddit the community. I have admired her fearlessness and calm throughout our time together and look forward to following her impact on Silicon Valley and beyond. It was my decision to change how we work with AMAs and the transition was my failure and I hope we can keep moving forward from that lesson. Today was another step. I'm really excited to be working with Steve again and appreciate what Ellen did during her time here.
So he hung her out to dry until she got fired for a decision he made. Scumbag move.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
So she is not able to continue the Appeal and now has to pay the costs. I wonder how she will earn a living since no one will hire her.