Ellen Pao loses her lawsuit, now she is unemployable.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
What the heck will she do for a living now? She lost the lawsuit. Now her name is plastered all over the media. No one is going to hire her, she would be considered a toxic employee and a huge liability.

So how the heck will she earn a living?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
She's interim CEO of reddit.
What do you do for a living, being "employable" and all?

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
According to Pao she was already incapable of getting employment remotely comparable to what she got at Kleiner Perkins, which was a big factor in the damages she was asking for.

Assuming her reddit position isn't made permanent, I'm sure there are plenty of people sympathetic to her case that would be willing to hire her. Especially some feminist organizations whom I'm sure are incensed over the outcome of her case (mind you, far from all of them, some writers have been anything but supportive of her) Question is, would they be willing to pay her enough to consider.. and that I doubt.

Unless she badly managed her money made to date she could probably manage a while even without employment.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
I guess Pao and her husband Alphonse are going to need a new grift considering this shake down of this firm failed. Also, that they are effectively bankrupt and owe the IRS, lawyers and their creditors millions of dollars and Alphonse is also known to be a serial filer of lawsuits but also known to have lost all of these lawsuits while stiffing his lawyers.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/18/case-builds-against-former-ny-hedgie-buddy-fletcher/

A Manhattan judge has ruled that the 49-year-old investor owes his former law firm $2.7 million in unpaid legal bills.

Add that to the more than $140 million in court judgments and tax liens against the Harvard-educated fallen finance whiz and his fund, and you have one of the oddest Wall Street stories in recent memory.

While Fletcher owns three apartments in Manhattan’s exclusive Central Park West Dakota co-op, an $8.85 million self-described castle in Connecticut’s tony Litchfield County, and, with his wife Ellen Pao, a $1.5 million San Francisco home, the ex-hedgie stands accused of cheating Massachusetts and Louisiana cops and firefighters out of more than $100 million and not paying close to $3 million in taxes.

Lastly, her alleged discrimination lawsuit was filed around the same time Alphonse declared bankruptcy (To be more exact the hedge fund he owned) which you can draw your own conclusions about for yourself if you like.

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/scandal/2013/03/buddy-fletcher-ellen-pao

Pao told friends that she did not plan to sue Kleiner Perkins. She says she approached them with her attorney because another woman, a junior partner, had complained about harassment and she wanted the firm to address its problems with women. According to friends, she expected that when Kleiner Perkins heard all her complaints, the firm would rectify the problems, and compensate her—and that she would go on working happily at the firm. Kleiner did immediately hire an outside investigator, who, the firm says, eventually concluded that Pao’s complaints were “without merit.” It was at this point, says a friend, that Pao decided she had no option but to sue, which she did, on May 10, a month after Fletcher’s F.I.A. Leveraged Fund was ordered liquidated by a Cayman Islands court, and weeks before his main fund filed for bankruptcy in New York.

Last edited:

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Also, that they are effectively bankrupt and owe the IRS, lawyers and their creditors millions of dollars and Alphonse is also known to be a serial filer of lawsuits but also known to have lost all of these lawsuits.

I stand corrected.

I'm always amazed at how much those who have made far more than the average person can accrue debt that far exceeds what the same average person could even have access to. And then whisk it all away with bankruptcy.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Speaking of unemployable...I saw something about the chic-fil-a dude the other day who is nigh unemployable.

And there's Adria Richards who attested in an interview that she hasn't been able to get a job since the Donglegate incident (the guy she got fired immediately found another employer)

Should we start a thread for people who are unemployable thanks to their internet notoriety? ;p

I feel uneasy about the notion that people who do something offensive but legal can end up never being able to work again. That can be more life ruining (for both him and his family) than a modest jail sentence...

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
I stand corrected.

I'm always amazed at how much those who have made far more than the average person can accrue debt that far exceeds what the same average person could even have access to. And then whisk it all away with bankruptcy.

That is because having/making a lot of money versus managing a lot money are two separate things.

Just because you make or have a lot of money does not mean you are skilled at or know how to manage said large sums of money correctly.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
That is because having/making a lot of money versus managing a lot money are two separate things.

Just because you make or have a lot of money does not mean you are skilled at or know how to manage said large sums of money correctly.

Oh, I get that, I guess what surprises me is that wealthy people are trusted with this kind of credit when it can backfire so spectacularly. That the creditors don't seem to understand the difference between the two.

But it looks like in this case the guy wasn't just bad at managing money but a scammer.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
And there's Adria Richards who attested in an interview that she hasn't been able to get a job since the Donglegate incident (the guy she got fired immediately found another employer)

Should we start a thread for people who are unemployable thanks to their internet notoriety? ;p

I feel uneasy about the notion that people who do something offensive but legal can end up never being able to work again. That can be more life ruining (for both him and his family) than a modest jail sentence...

No one is gonna hire her. No one wants to deal with toxic employees that bring a huge liability to the table.

I suspect she had mental issues though.

the guy was just a douchebag who wanted to get his 15 minutes of Internet fame and it backfired on him. No one wants to hire a douchebag.

Last edited:

uclabachelor

Nov 9, 2009
That's her own damn fault. She played the game, lost, and now she has to deal with it.

If she actually just let it go and worked like every other person she might have continued to earn living and be anonymous like the rest of the 99.9% of employees. Instead, she gambled and chose the quick easy buck route.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Speaking of unemployable...I saw something about the chic-fil-a dude the other day who is nigh unemployable.

The one who went through the drive through and berated the girl at the window.

He got hired somewhere else, but was fired when they found out who he was.

Found it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...deo-protesting-Chick-fil-left-unemployed.html
He should be unemployable. He filmed himself being a total dick to a young girl unable to walk away, physically threaten him or even debate him. Then he put it on the Internet to show everyone what a wonderful guy he is. Dude is literally too stupid to be trusted with a company's money, reputation, or sharp objects.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I stand corrected.

It's called leverage. He probably got rich using leverage but the same leverage bites you in the ass hard if it goes the other way, which it appears it has.

BUT, we can't let them fucking broke students discharge their debt!

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
He should be unemployable. He filmed himself being a total dick to a young girl unable to walk away, physically threaten him or even debate him. Then he put it on the Internet to show everyone what a wonderful guy he is. Dude is literally too stupid to be trusted with a company's money, reputation, or sharp objects.

He made a video where he went on a rant about Chik-Fil-A supporting hate groups and threw in at the end that he doesn't understand how she works there, while also saying she deserves better. He didn't come off as threatening. He made her uncomfortable for all of about a minute.

Sure it was wildly inappropriate and inconsiderate to the worker, and arrogant to pull off as a stupid publicity stunt to make him feel like a good guy fighting a good fight (he even pats himself on the back for it). After he lost his job he posted an apology video to the woman. Don't you think removing his ability to ever get work again is a little harsh?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Wow this jury got it all wrong. I am wondering if it was all men. I guess they think letters asking for sexual favors is OK.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Apparently the jury decision wasn't unanimous, it was 8 to 4. Only a majority is required either way.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Don't you think removing his ability to ever get work again is a little harsh?

What government agency is preventing him from getting a job? Yeah I thought so. In the past when people became social pariahs they went into exile. He's free to immigrate to another country and find a job or start a business there.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
He made a video where he went on a rant about Chik-Fil-A supporting hate groups and threw in at the end that he doesn't understand how she works there, while also saying she deserves better. He didn't come off as threatening. He made her uncomfortable for all of about a minute.

Sure it was wildly inappropriate and inconsiderate to the worker, and arrogant to pull off as a stupid publicity stunt to make him feel like a good guy fighting a good fight (he even pats himself on the back for it). After he lost his job he posted an apology video to the woman. Don't you think removing his ability to ever get work again is a little harsh?

He removed his own ability to get a job. The douchebag berates this poor girl who is just trying to earn a living, for something she did not say. He was all smug and self congratulatory hoping to get his 15 minutes of fame.

Instead he came off like a major douchebag, embarrassed himself and the company he worked for. He should have known better, he is an adult not a teenager.

No one wants to hire someone like that, it is his own fault.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Reddit hired her as interim CEO after she filed the lawsuit.

in·ter·im
ˈin(t)ərəm/

in or for the intervening period; provisional or temporary.
"an interim arrangement"
synonyms: provisional, temporary, pro tem, stopgap, short-term, fill-in, caretaker, acting, transitional, makeshift, improvised, impromptu
"an interim advisory body"