Elite Torrents raided, 10 people served search warrants

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skiguy411

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2002
Here is a transcript from a supposed IRC conversation

[11:29pm]«@ [Bleach]» Ok this is the deal people listen closely
[11:30pm]«@ [Bleach]» This whole ordeal started with a STOLEN workprint form lucas films
[11:30pm]«@ [Bleach]» This promted a FEDERAL investigation on that particular release
[11:30pm]«@ [Bleach]» Now MPAA could not touch ET (civily) but because a CRIMINAL
[11:30pm]«@ [Bleach]» CASE was issued that now changes the RULES
[11:31pm]«@ [Bleach]» lucas wanted someones head on a platter
[11:31pm]«@ [Bleach]» Said it cost the film Big dollars making it a felony
[11:31pm]«@ [Bleach]» Said it was taken over seas to foreign countries
[11:31pm]«@ [Bleach]» thus bringing in ICE
[11:32pm]«@ [Bleach]» NOW someone from ET leaked to the WRONG people that ET had this release up
[11:32pm]«@ [Bleach]» 6 hours prior to its first showin
[11:32pm]«@ [Bleach]» And that it was DL 10k times
[11:32pm]«@ [Bleach]» This focused the CRIMINAL case on to ET
[11:33pm]«@ [Bleach]» (thinking it was probably someone here) BUT NO IT WAS NOT ANYONE FROM ET WHO STOLE THE MOVIE
[11:33pm]«@ [Bleach]» FBI shuts ET down issue warrants for admins PC
[11:33pm]«@ [Bleach]» NOT ALL WARRANTS WERE ET STAFF
[11:33pm]«@ [Bleach]» TWO admins were raided and ONLY their PC was taken
[11:33pm]«@ [Bleach]» NO arrest have been made
[11:33pm]«@ [Bleach]» No other details have been leaked
[11:34pm]«@ [Bleach]» Right now there is still a CRIMINAL case going on with the SW3 WORKPRINT RELEASE
[11:34pm]«@ [Bleach]» Those who DL may have something to worry about
[11:34pm]«@ [Bleach]» BUT for now only those who made it AVAILABLE has to worry about it
[11:35pm]«@ [Bleach]» NOw I DO NOT
[11:35pm]«@ [Bleach]» KNOW what is to become of the logs with the star wars DL
[11:36pm]«@ [Bleach]» I DONT KNOW what Kryl0n is doing
[11:36pm]«@ [Bleach]» or gone to
[11:36pm]«@ [Bleach]» This came from a MOD who called to update someone on what happened to the 2 admins
[11:36pm]«@ [Bleach]» That is it for now

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Not really, beacuse you can be tracked unequivocally with your IP anyway, so who cares if they happened to use your CC number. In any case, many usenet providers do not keep logs, and specifically state as much, so then all somebody sees is that you're a subscriber to a usenet server--and they all have a lot of legal content, as well.

With just your IP address you have SOME plausible deniability - "my little brother did it" or "oops, I didn't realize I was sharing my wireless router with the entire neighborhood..." With a credit card, you'd have a hard time denying it. Yeah, they don't keep logs... but it's not outside the realm of possibility that the FBI could raid them and keep it quiet for a few days while monitoring the traffic.

In reality though, I don't think either is really a danger to the user/downloader, as they've mostly been going after the large-scale facilitators.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Financial damage?! ROFL!! Star Wars EPIII was out on the net before it was in theaters and it STILL made MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLIONS of dollars. Those fvcking asswipes need their head examined.

imported_Reck

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2004
The FBI cannot just log your usenet downloads, that'd be an illegal wiretap. The only way they are going after usenet is from the unloaders, they could care less about downloaders. I mean just think about it...usenet is a global network, it's just technically not feasible to crack down on.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
In reality though, I don't think either is really a danger to the user/downloader, as they've mostly been going after the large-scale facilitators.

Actually as long as you are simply leeching and not providing (you do both with BT) then you are much MUCH less of a target. They are more concerned with those uploading, whether it be to 0sec FTPs or 2k/sec over BT than somebody pulling down 600KB/sec off their paid NG server.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
This is what happens when you use public trackers.. are people really that stupid/naive?

imported_Reck

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Reck
The FBI cannot just log your usenet downloads, that'd be an illegal wiretap.

Hehehehehe never heard of the Patriot Act eh?

All Routers now have backdoor built-in just for the FBI.

ummm why do i really doubt that? besides if it was found out that the patriot act was used as a means of gathering evidence, the case would be thrown out of the court I think.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

ummm why do i really doubt that? besides if it was found out that the patriot act was used as a means of gathering evidence, the case would be thrown out of the court I think.
You doubt the backdoor???

Show me one Patriot Act case thrown out.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
This is what happens when you use public trackers.. are people really that stupid/naive?

they just dont know is what is is, i download more then most people useing BT, however none of it is illegel (yet), i average around 8 gigs a day, and they are all from public trackers because i dont know of a single privite one that has anything i want to DL

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001

Let's see some documentation or fact about this 'back door' other than what's under your tin foil hat.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Let's see some documentation or fact about this 'back door' other than what's under your tin foil hat.

MUAHAH
I like the "EVERY ROUTER" quote too.
Last I checked with my buddies who run international networks none of them even know of this "back door"

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000

I have heard that the constitutionality of the Patriot Act has come into question and the government was avoiding using evidence acquired by the Patriot Act because it would all for the courts to challenge it. So thus far there has been no prosecution by evidence of the Patriot Act.

This was just something I heard on NPR.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Homerboy

MUAHAH
I like the "EVERY ROUTER" quote too.
Last I checked with my buddies who run international networks none of them even know of this "back door"

Shhh, you're ruining my fun :)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

FBI's requests for router monitoring access

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

I want to see a credible site. dslreports is hardly a .gov site with legitimate information on the subject.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Nik
I want to see a credible site. dslreports is hardly a .gov site with legitimate information on the subject.
It pains me to do this, but McOwen is right for once. As phone companies move to packet switching networks, the government has asked telecom manufacturers that they provide wiretap-equivalent capabilities for the next generation of routers in order to maintain the ability for lawful access.

virtueixi

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2003
Originally posted by: yllus
Originally posted by: Nik
It pains me to do this, but McOwen is right for once. As phone companies move to packet switching networks, the government has asked telecom manufacturers that they provide wiretap-equivalent capabilities for the next generation of routers in order to maintain the ability for lawful access.

In America computer downloads you!

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: virtueixi
Canada is in the process of enacting an even worse law, if it's any consolation.

The U.S. Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act - Implementation:
Section 103 of CALEA sets forth the assistance capability requirements that telecommunications carriers need to maintain to support law enforcement in the conduct of lawfully-authorized electronic surveillance. Specifically, CALEA directs the telecommunications industry to design, develop, and deploy solutions that meet certain assistance capability requirements.

Pursuant to a court order or other lawful authorization, carriers must be able to: (1) expeditiously isolate all wire and electronic communications of a target transmitted by the carrier within its service area; (2) expeditiously isolate call-identifying information of a target; (3) provide intercepted communications and call-identifying information to law enforcement; and (4) carry out intercepts unobtrusively, so targets are not made aware of the electronic surveillance, and in a manner that does not compromise the privacy and security of other communications.
Edit: Whoa, I just realized you guys are talking about home routers! Of course those won't be affected by this law, that's just moronic. This is big backend routers only. How stupid do you have to be to think home routers will get backdoors built in? Some 15 year old hacker would crack the access in 10 minutes and run buckwild.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I get to use the phrase, "those suckers got served" twice in 2 days.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: yllus
Originally posted by: virtueixi
Canada is in the process of enacting an even worse law, if it's any consolation.

The U.S. Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act - Implementation:
Section 103 of CALEA sets forth the assistance capability requirements that telecommunications carriers need to maintain to support law enforcement in the conduct of lawfully-authorized electronic surveillance. Specifically, CALEA directs the telecommunications industry to design, develop, and deploy solutions that meet certain assistance capability requirements.

Pursuant to a court order or other lawful authorization, carriers must be able to: (1) expeditiously isolate all wire and electronic communications of a target transmitted by the carrier within its service area; (2) expeditiously isolate call-identifying information of a target; (3) provide intercepted communications and call-identifying information to law enforcement; and (4) carry out intercepts unobtrusively, so targets are not made aware of the electronic surveillance, and in a manner that does not compromise the privacy and security of other communications.

Edit: Whoa, I just realized you guys are talking about home routers! Of course those won't be affected by this law, that's just moronic. This is big backend routers only. How stupid do you have to be to think home routers will get backdoors built in? Some 15 year old hacker would crack the access in 10 minutes and run buckwild.

Which is where I was going with his moronic statement.. "every router."
This type of posting seems pretty typical from him.

Utterly hysterical.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
This is natural selection at work. Anyone dumb enough to have themselves exposed by having anything to do with Torrents is too stupid to be allowed out on the streets unsupervised. Locking these people up improves the gene pool. Torrents are insecure, torrents have been vulnerable to government snooping from day 1 and torrent sites are constant targets. So what sort of brain damage is required to wake up one day and say "Hey, I think I'll run a tracker site, no way anything could go wrong!!"

Dumb asses!