Elemental: War of Magic

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Any new updates or changes since last month?
Is it "safer" to buy now?

no more updates yet. They've been pushing back the major 1.1--which among many things, will be a rather stark overhaul of the economy (food & population mechanics in particular, in an aim to cancel out the city-spam strategy) and the universal mana pool, upkeep charges for summoning and other enchantments.

So, if you are hoping for something that is perfectly balanced and non-redundant, absolutely bug-free--no, not there yet.

It's completely playable, though. No crashes for me. the most annoying bugs are several of the quests breaking (lest you maintain absolute control of the party receiving then finishing the same quest, apparently).

I'm not really sure what is expected for multiplayer in 1.1, though, if that is important to you.

beta for 1.1 is supposed to be out this week. They plan to release the finished version at the end of the month.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
This game has a lot of potential. It reminds me of Master of Magic which was one of my favorite games of all time. But it's missing something and I cant quite pinpoint it...

One thing that bothers me is probably due to my 3 year old PC - the game interface is extremely sluggish. Moving units around, animations all feel so slow. And the world seems too bare. I dont like the way the system is that new dungeons suddenly appear once someone researches that level. I wish the world was more interesting right from the start, that dungeons of all levels appear if anything to give some character to the landscape. It feels depressing starting out and walking around wasteland. Yes, I know that is the basis of the game- after a great cataclysm blah blah..

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
One thing that is really missing for me is the ability to customize cities to be better at one thing at the expense of another thing, similar to the way Galactic Civilization 2 works. I would love if I could build an extra library, at the expense of not being able to build a merchant for example. That way I can make a decision on how to adjust my output for each city depending on the needs of my kingdom, or the specific needs of that city.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
This game has a lot of potential. It reminds me of Master of Magic which was one of my favorite games of all time. But it's missing something and I cant quite pinpoint it...

One thing that bothers me is probably due to my 3 year old PC - the game interface is extremely sluggish. Moving units around, animations all feel so slow. And the world seems too bare. I dont like the way the system is that new dungeons suddenly appear once someone researches that level. I wish the world was more interesting right from the start, that dungeons of all levels appear if anything to give some character to the landscape. It feels depressing starting out and walking around wasteland. Yes, I know that is the basis of the game- after a great cataclysm blah blah..

When I first played I couldn't believe how barren everything looked. There was mountains, grassland and some desert/water areas, but no filler. I was wondering if the game was built on the wasteland premise. After I had enough of that I looked into the graphic settings, said, "OMG no wonder it looks terrible!" and promptly maxed everything. Suddenly grass looked like grass, there were tress and out croppings, and the cities once zoomed upon looked alive with activity.

I still get a little hitch when moving armies on the big map, but more annoying then that is tactical battles where game speed takes a nose dive. It's like a click and wait fest.

no more updates yet. They've been pushing back the major 1.1--which among many things, will be a rather stark overhaul of the economy (food & population mechanics in particular, in an aim to cancel out the city-spam strategy) and the universal mana pool, upkeep charges for summoning and other enchantments.

I hope if they kill of city spamming that they either increase the rate of which your cities expand their prestige or they come up with another option for resource gathering.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
One thing that is really missing for me is the ability to customize cities to be better at one thing at the expense of another thing, similar to the way Galactic Civilization 2 works. I would love if I could build an extra library, at the expense of not being able to build a merchant for example. That way I can make a decision on how to adjust my output for each city depending on the needs of my kingdom, or the specific needs of that city.

this is a major part of the economy overhaul in the next update, from what I've read. They've stated several times that they want to included multiples of the same building per city.

This is part of that something that I find missing--everything about the economy and the battles is very generic and repetitive. the buildings, past a certain point, are mostly clones of other buildings. the 25% increase to x, several times over...is a bit lazy.

It is almost entirely pointless to build armies, as you get enough imbued heroes by mid game, to simply summon an entire kingdom to wreck anything. But by then, the heroes themselves probably have enough mana to wipe out 80% of your opposing parties on the first move. ...this has been my experience through Hard difficulty, anyway.

I would also like to see the same kind of overhauls regarding dungeons and the adventuring/RPG elements. besides several of the goodie huts that pop up throughout the game being bugged/unusable, they are quite generic. Especially if you have some that go unexplored until the late game. 10 metal? gee thanks. That would have been great at turn 2, but Now I'm producing 200 per turn and I've got a stock pile ~20k, lol.
Also, getting way late down the adventure tech, and you uncover the dragon roosts. It pops up in some random area of your kingdom, far away from any relevant border, sometimes need to build a new city to be close enough to utilize it.

I'd like to see un-ID'd mountain tiles (or some other design) spawn at every new game. Their identity revealed as you research. This way, you can start planning in advance, gambling in a way as you claim unknown resources for the later game. It seems like this would also help with reducing the city spam.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I think i'm gonna pull the trigger on this one tonight and buy the digital version of the game from Impulse.

I've been reading again on the game and looks like players are enjoying the changes done by Stardock since release.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Ok I finally waited and hold my finger on this trigger...but tonight, O God of Games...please give me strengh!!!!!!!!!

This game look so cool now with the fixes done but at 50USD...I don't know if it'll keep me glued to my screen as other games do right now...

what to do...what to do...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ok I finally waited and hold my finger on this trigger...but tonight, O God of Games...please give me strengh!!!!!!!!!

This game look so cool now with the fixes done but at 50USD...I don't know if it'll keep me glued to my screen as other games do right now...

you'd probably want to hold off until the 1.1 update--they still haven't released the beta.

personally, this has kept me busy for the previous month or so, and you might find it interesting enough to tide you over until the big update--but so much is expected to change at that time that it may not be worth it.

the current game feels to me like it sits on a very solid foundation, but the end product is rather empty. hard to describe--just that there is no real feeling of "purpose" or achievement by the time your kingdom is well on its way to conquering all.

far enough into the adventuring tree (once you get to level 3 or 4 "quest huts"), everything just feels very redundant and useless. The auto-unit creation is borked, but can be "fixed" if you delete every new unit that the AI creates and simply design your own.

battles are currently throw in a sovereign and one high level unit, blast the other army with sovereign spells before they even get within striking distance.

that's fun at first, but gets old. I like the new direction they are taking with universal mana pool and actual upkeep from enchantment spells (limiting the total summoned units and magic casters), as well as economy, so we'll just have to see. Still some obnoxious bugs.

Not sure if this just adds to the confusion. All I can say is that currently, the game is in a state that I enjoy, but it sounds like it will be much easier to enjoy once this update is released.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The only way to link up to out of reach resources is to 'stretch' your city outward with buildings?

I think it only works when your influence expands. I'm not positive, but it seems to me that the direction your city is being built really doesn't influence that expansion.

I *think* it's currently based on distance from town center, but i could be wrong. Nevertheless, I still try to build the influence-boosting improvements (town hall, missionary, pub, whatever) in the direction of areas that I want to capture.

There's actually a recent thread in the forums started by the coder in charge of the influence algorithm, talking about the upcoming switches to calculating influence and border spreading (not confirmed for 1.1, afaik)

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I get into some odd situations where I can no longer build anything within a city - even if I have plenty of tile space and there is open ground and I ahve all t he prerequisites.

I think it has something to do with being close to another city but it's retarded because it's like 6 tiles of empty space being enforced between the edges of these cities...

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i have:
Athlon X2 6000 (dual core 3ghz), 3gigs ram, Radeon 2600 pro

Will that run Elemental w/moderate bells/whistles?

JeffNY35

Dec 16, 2009

I haven't tried it in a while, I have been giving it some time to develop. Based on my initial impressions and overall feedback from this and other forums...

give it some more time.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
The only way to link up to out of reach resources is to 'stretch' your city outward with buildings?

CariElf just fixed the Zone of Control code so that this will actually work. Before it was actually based on influence in a euclidean circle around the city center. Now it will be based on the actual city layout, although that will likely be put into the 1.1 update, so you won't see it until then.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/399995

Last edited:

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
i have:
Athlon X2 6000 (dual core 3ghz), 3gigs ram, Radeon 2600 pro

Will that run Elemental w/moderate bells/whistles?

My system (see signature) runs it fine at 1280x1024 with all the bells and whistles. This is not a graphically intense game whatsoever.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
CariElf just fixed the Zone of Control code so that this will actually work. Before it was actually based on influence in a euclidean circle around the city center. Now it will be based on the actual city layout, although that will likely be put into the 1.1 update, so you won't see it until then.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/399995

That's awesome, I can't recall ever getting a programmers view point that was so in depth on how game mechanics work. I like the way he explained how the code was carry over from GalCiv and how he had to experiment with it to get it to work better. I always thought programming was more absolute: here's the problem and here's the answer.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
That's awesome, I can't recall ever getting a programmers view point that was so in depth on how game mechanics work. I like the way he explained how the code was carry over from GalCiv and how he had to experiment with it to get it to work better. I always thought programming was more absolute: here's the problem and here's the answer.

That is exactly why Stardock has had such a following for so long. They explain the process, and make the whole game making process personal. You almost feel like you are part of the process if you follow along with them in the development journals.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
My system (see signature) runs it fine at 1280x1024 with all the bells and whistles. This is not a graphically intense game whatsoever.

It is very memory-intense, though. Mostly due to recurring memory leak issue, I believe. Some have been fixed, but bugs persist right now.

Initial release would crash around move 200 for most people, I'm now witnessing a recurring crash ~move 600 for my current game. My economy and kingdom is massive....though wiped almost everyone out.

crash is usually due to "out of memory" error.

it's also nicely threaded to use multiple core (Phenom II 965 BE for me; 4GB DDR3 a well, heh).

One of the upcoming AI updates that looks really sweet is the multi-threaded use of AI, which makes their turns almost instantaneous according to a recent demo.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Bump!

1.1 beta released TODAY!

should make this very close to "the game it was supposed to be."

Anyone want to jump in and test it out? I'll probably wait a few days at least, if not for the official release.

look at this ridiculous change log :)

http://forums.elementalgame.com/400368

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
yea i'm waiting for a price drop here... will it happen anytime soon? for the holidays maybe?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
yea i'm waiting for a price drop here... will it happen anytime soon? for the holidays maybe?

kinda doubt it.

Maybe something nearer X-Mas, to try and garner some renewed interest with the polished version...but it seems to me that they got bit hard on this at the release. With all the work that they continue to poor in, or so it seems, maybe hard to start discounting?

i don't know.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
meh might as well wait until everything is polished up and fixed and the price is cheaper

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Found and bought a retail box copy from ebay for $25.

I think it was worth the price eheheh!