Electrostatic field, would this be okay?

Discussion in 'Cases & Cooling' started by computerbuildin, Jan 16, 2013.

1. computerbuildin

computerbuildin Senior member

Im moving around my room a bit and my desk wont fit the computer on its little overhang shelf. I have a NZXT phantom so that would make sense, its a monster. Im wondering if i can just lay the shelf on my carpet and put the computer ontop of it. Ive heard about this whole electrostatic field and stuff, and how its all bad with carpet, so im wondering if my computer would be safe. Or am i just overworrying here?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Electrostatic field Forum Date
    filter for chieftech case...is electrostatic filter safe to use? Cases & Cooling Jan 19, 2003

3. T_Yamamoto

T_Yamamoto Lifer

Its safe. Don't worry about it.

4. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

Unless you're plugging into a two-prong outlet, the case will be grounded to your room anyway. Which means essentially, your case is part of the carpet.

5. tracerbullet

tracerbullet Golden Member

Anything inside of it should be fine in normal usage, ie when it's plugged in and running. You may get a shock touching the case, but what's inside will be OK.

Just don't go unplugging it, then walking around the room shuffling your feet and touching things inside of it. That would not be considered normal and definitely can cause damage.

Only downfall I see is more dust / dirt seems to get inside when mounted low, especially if you have pets. But no immediate ESD damage concerns from it being on the floor.