Electrical problem

Easter

May 8, 2018
Hi, I have a 95 camaro 3.4 v6. I have bad has and wanted to pump some gas out of tank to put fresh gas in it. I was told fuel pump relay was behind lick panel on drivers side which there was one relay there. I wanted to not sure it to activate fuel pump. Well I must not have hooked up to right prongs cause it sparked alittle. Well now, when I hit the key, everything is dead. There's nothing. Please tell me what I did wrong and where to look to fix it. I'm terrible at electrical.thanks...

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Check fuses. Could have blown relay too and if it was a different relay than fuel pump (eg starter or similar) then yeah you won't get anything from the ignition.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
PCM Ign Fuse #15 .. 15AMPS controls the fuel pump

0900c152800b881f.gif

Easter

May 8, 2018
Ok, fixed it. As everyone thats been following my threads knows, this car is driving me up a wall. It's a 95 camaro 3.4 v6, 66000 miles on it. Got it out for summer, idled good, run rough when driving. I've replaced the cat converter, upper and lower intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets,throttle body gasket, seal on oil shaft, plugs, wires. Then I realized I had way too much fuel injection cleaner in gas tank. So last night I drained tank to just above red line and put fresh gas in til gauge read half full. Runs a lot better. But it still has a spit and sputter when driving and a little backfiring now and then. What is going on. I don't know where to turn. Please help.

Easter

May 8, 2018
I filled the tank up to just under full. No change. Still spitting and sputtering and making weird noises in back. What is going on with this thing. I'm going crazy.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
spitting and sputtering sounds like your air fuel ratio is off, which could be affected by a number of things - some of which you've eliminated already (vacuum leaks from gaskets). You should be able to troubleshoot most of the sensors that affect AF ratio (MAP, TPS, O2 sensors, etc) using a multimeter or by connecting to the ECU through the diagnostic port and looking at the sensor feedback.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Use a scan tool, preferably one that can show real time data. It does sound like you have a bad O2 sensor

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Since you just replaced a bunch of parts, I'd start there. Maybe a vacuum leak from a gasket that didn't seal or a hose that didn't get reconnected.

Easter

May 8, 2018
spitting and sputtering sounds like your air fuel ratio is off, which could be affected by a number of things - some of which you've eliminated already (vacuum leaks from gaskets). You should be able to troubleshoot most of the sensors that affect AF ratio (MAP, TPS, O2 sensors, etc) using a multimeter or by connecting to the ECU through the diagnostic port and looking at the sensor feedback.

Easter

May 8, 2018
Want to check oxygen sensors with multimeter but can't find out what reading i should get. I checked pow e to the sensors and it's there. Wanna check the sensors now. Anyone know what reading i should get. Thank you

Easter

May 8, 2018
Will a fautly air pump be causing this problem? I went to check and make sure relay was getting power. When I jumped e1 and e4 it sparked and blew the fuse.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Want to check oxygen sensors with multimeter but can't find out what reading i should get. I checked pow e to the sensors and it's there. Wanna check the sensors now. Anyone know what reading i should get. Thank you

The rapair manual should tell you this? if you havent already spend the $10 on a haynes manual.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
You sort of can't unless the thing is dead. A properly operating (narrowband) O2 will have a fluctuating output.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
That is correct and the output is in the millivolt range. Best way is with a scan tool that can show real time data. Or just swap the O2 sensor. They are not very costly and depending on the age of the one that is in there, changing it might be the smart way to go.