Electrical: light switch getting hot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Do not do this. They are not able to be dimmed by conventional methods.

The hospital I work at did this in the auditorium. About 50 or so CFLs. They put a sign "do not dim" instead of paying the ~5 bucks for normal switches (which I'm sure they must have in stock anyway).

One day I go in there and there was 3 maintenance guys on ladders changing every single bulb. :D They did not seem impressed at the situation.

Guess someone dimmed them and they burnt out.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The hospital I work at did this in the auditorium. About 50 or so CFLs. They put a sign "do not dim" instead of paying the ~5 bucks for normal switches (which I'm sure they must have in stock anyway).

One day I go in there and there was 3 maintenance guys on ladders changing every single bulb. :D They did not seem impressed at the situation.

ahahahahahaha

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

Some dimmers cut power 10% even when all the way on.

My guess would be that in a hospital, the switches would end up around a couple hundred bucks each to change out.

Jun 27, 2005
Dimmers shouldn't get hot. The usual suspects are:

1. The fixture load is bigger than the dimmer rating.
2. The dimmer or fixture is mis-wired.
3. The dimmer is faulty.

There are other, less likely problems. But I would get it checked out. If the fixture load is compliant with the dimmer rating, have the wiring checked out. Might have a neutral wire connected up wrong.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Dimmers shouldn't get hot. The usual suspects are:

1. The fixture load is bigger than the dimmer rating.
2. The dimmer or fixture is mis-wired.
3. The dimmer is faulty.

There are other, less likely problems. But I would get it checked out. If the fixture load is compliant with the dimmer rating, have the wiring checked out. Might have a neutral wire connected up wrong.

Of course they get hot, that's why they put heat sinks on them.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I have a slider switch that's going to the chandelier. If the lights are on for awhile it switch gets really hot. Is this OK or could the switch be seeing more load that it should? Are there special switches for chandeliers?

I'm no electrician but I know it's normal for some of these dimmer switches to get warm. It depends on how hot we are talking about.

endlessmike

Jul 24, 2007
They'll get warm; if you put your fingers on the screws and can hold them there, it's probably ok. If you can't, something's wrong.

What's the total wattage rating of the fixture? You might need to go from a 500W to 1000W dimmer.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Unscrew the switch and pull it out so you can read the wattage rating.
What type of lamps are they (write down all of the lamp information you can read on them)?
How many are there?

We need more technical information. If it is HOT (can you keep your finger pressed on it for more than 10sec?), then you have a problem.
Being warm is normal.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Not hot enough to burn. There used to be another light on there but with only 8 blubs. The new one has about 16, I'll have to check on the bulbs and the dinner rating. Thanks for the info.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Bit of a reach. Plugged in dildo sounds made up.

electric-concrete-internal-vibrator-558245.jpg