Electrical Issues 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

kade12

Feb 22, 2019
I have had electrical issues in my truck for a very long time. All dash lights are usually on, instrument cluster resets on and off, (yes I had cluster replaced), when I roll windows up the battery gauge will drop until the whole cluster resets. Now my a/c won't blow through the vents, but will still do overhead and at the feet. I looked up videos on youtube and tried moving a ground that was connected to the back of the engine block, but when I did that the truck had no acceleration. Like when I would press on the gas, the truck wouldn't rev the engine or anything. So I reconnected it back. While I was searching around I came upon this braided ground wire that is connected to the frame on one end, but was not connected to anything down under; and looks burned up. Could this be my problem? Also can anyone tell me where it goes/what it is used for.

Attachments

• IMG_8647.JPG
    IMG_8647.JPG
    629.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8648.JPG
    IMG_8648.JPG
    598.4 KB · Views: 23

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
looks like mechanical wear and not from being burned. all Chevy/gmc pickups have had a ground in that spot for many years, my 09 and my 15 has it in the same spot, should be connected to the back of the head on the engine. I believe this is the main ground from the body to the engine.

what's that extra black wire going to the ground stud for? it's not stock.

I have always used that ground point for all my aux stuff like lights and such.

kade12

Feb 22, 2019
Do you think that not being connected could be the electrical problem? The only thing is everything runs properly(engine, brakes, etc, except for all electrical issues) which makes me think that really isn't that big of a problem.

The black wire was where I grounded the wire coming off the engine block. I just haven't taken it off yet. Has no purpose now that I reconnected that wire back to where it originally was.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
That's definitely a ground strap. Looks like whoever installed that alarm messed with it. Grounds are a funny thing but that should be connected to the block most likely.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Do you think that not being connected could be the electrical problem? The only thing is everything runs properly(engine, brakes, etc, except for all electrical issues) which makes me think that really isn't that big of a problem.

The black wire was where I grounded the wire coming off the engine block. I just haven't taken it off yet. Has no purpose now that I reconnected that wire back to where it originally was.

it could be the problem, or it could just not be helping. Grounds can be funny as Nut mentioned. best to fix it either way. is that the black cylinder? an alarm? botched alarm installs are about the worst thing you can do to a cars electrical system. get rid of that crap and put it back to stock.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Don't forget, you could also have a bad splice in the harness, it could be the positive or negative

kade12

Feb 22, 2019
Can y’all see that bolt almost directly in the middle of the photo(the one pointing out towards you)? Do you think this is where the ground strap was?

Attachments

• D8ACC605-0361-4B20-8AFF-ED50E0F86A8B.jpeg
    D8ACC605-0361-4B20-8AFF-ED50E0F86A8B.jpeg
    771.1 KB · Views: 7

kade12

Feb 22, 2019
it could be the problem, or it could just not be helping. Grounds can be funny as Nut mentioned. best to fix it either way. is that the black cylinder? an alarm? botched alarm installs are about the worst thing you can do to a cars electrical system. get rid of that crap and put it back to stock.

Honestly I have no idea. I will definitely check it out, I honestly thought it was a light for under the hood but I’ve never actually checked. Would I have to buy a stock alarm system to replace if it is?

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Can y’all see that bolt almost directly in the middle of the photo(the one pointing out towards you)? Do you think this is where the ground strap was?

no, it should connect to the the back of the head on the engine, not the top of the valve cover. i think the valve cover is plastic.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
usually you can just make sure the wires are back to the stock places. "factory" alarm systems don't really exist. if a car has some kind of alarm from the factory its often integrated with the radio, but i don't think that vintage pickup is going to have anything.

Honestly I have no idea. I will definitely check it out, I honestly thought it was a light for under the hood but I’ve never actually checked. Would I have to buy a stock alarm system to replace if it is?

kade12

Feb 22, 2019
I still cannot find where that ground strap is supposed to connect to. All of a sudden today, my truck wouldn't shift into gears so I had to drive 40 all the way home. I believe it has to do with that ground strap because since I figured out that wasn't connected to anything I have had more severe electrical problems.

kade12

Feb 22, 2019
I am under the truck at this angle in photo. The circle is the hanging ground wire. The two arrows are holes where a bolt could connect. The blue X is a bolt that the ground strap cannot reach. So could it possibly be one of those two holes? Maybe it was there and the bolt fell out over time? What do y'all think?

Attachments

• IMG_8752.JPG
    IMG_8752.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 4

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Put it anywhere on the block or head, but don't take out an existing bolt. Sounds like you have issues with a few things. You should find a mechanic if fixing the ground is this hard.

whats the trans fluid look and smell like?

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
More of a yellow brown color. I checked it and it has plenty.

should be red. must have a lot of friction material in it, trans is probably toast. change it and replace the filter, see what happens. im guessing it smells kinda like oily burnt toast?

kade12

Feb 22, 2019
Okay I will try that. Yeah just took it around the block and it’s making a squealing noise while shifting. Higher pitched. Very weird. Probably a shit trans!