Electrical Engineers

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
I'm in my second year and am curious what types of jobs there are out there for an EE. Also how valuable are masters degrees?

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: ObscureCaucasian
I'm in my second year and am curious what types of jobs there are out there for an EE. Also how valuable are masters degrees?

I just got an offer working on a conglomorate of 3 radar programs, I would be doing some actualy hands on troubleshooting when the technicians can't figure something out but also interacting with customers on specs, price, maintenance, etc. A lot of cost analysis as well. However, my (possible) job includes a lot more finance than most EE jobs.

Really, EE is SO BROAD. You can find a job doing technical sales, or coding software, doing analog design, possibly signal work. You will see all the different fields within EE once you get to your junior/senior year. You will have a class on Electromagnetics, Analog Circuits, Digital Circuits, Devices, RF, Communication Systems (signal stuff), and systems and controls (feedback systems).

My advice: make sure you get an internship, that is one huge hit on my resume that made it take so long for me to get a job. I had a 3.6/4.0 but it took me 5 months to find a job, internship was a big factor but there were a lot of others too.

Bottom line, there are TONS of oppourtunities and if you don't like something you can move to a different aspect of EE. I also know about 10 people from my graduating class that aren't going to use their EE degree at all. It's very versatile.