electrical engineering semi technical: fix old space heater again or buy a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaqie

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2008
I have one of these which used to work very well to the point it relieved a large portion of my arthritis pain due to it's more even temperature over time it would be able to keep my room at than a forced air heater:

8148b44da661629576283df.jpg

If you have done any research on this heater you will know that it's heater elements are quite good but the mechanicals are terrible and break quite badly. Now, I actually got this when someone was taking it to the dumpster, and figured it was a quick fix: it was, the thermal cutoff fuse had died prematurely. Simple $2 fix. After a few years the thermostatic dial bimetal switch has started sticking, and there is no real easy way for me to clean or resurface it without destroying it, it is quite small and enclosed. So far I have nothing in this, zero dollars, since I scavanged the thermal fuse from another unit I had been given.

For the record, I used to be a licensed electrician, I know what I am doing quite well, and still have the tools and know-how to fix this safely and well.

Now it comes to this: it really does help me a lot, and I do not have the money for a properly reliable oil filled radiator space heater replacement. Do I spend some money on building a proper thermostatic control and relay for it or do I buy an alternative, a heater I had had for many many years before that has always worked wonderfully but sadly does not help my arthritis pain nearly as much since it is not a heat capacitor functionally but merely a forced air coil heater? For argument, here it is, and I can get one for a $20 bill.

0004889467485p255045500.jpg

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
is it new enough to find replacement parts on fixitnow.com or ereplacementparts.com (or any other website) instead of making your own? That way it should be a "bolt in" repair and you won't need to worry about packaging or thermal shock of parts being repurposed.

jaqie

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2008
none of that is a worry because Ill bypass the thermostatic control entirely and wire the elements directly (through the thermal safety fuse) into the two toggle switches on the front, then build an outlet controlled by a wall mounted old school house heater thermostat.

the problem with the original parts, as I said already, is their lack of reliability. that heater's controls have a terrible reputation for dying in just this manner.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
do it. i always modify my stuff when needed, and it usually is for the better anyway. if you were a licensed electrician, you know what safe is. just dont do anything you think is questionable.

get one of those ip thermostats that you can log on with your phone and set the temp as needed :D

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Moving the thermostat to a remote location is superior, it will result in better accuracy and less on/off cycling. Only you can guess how many years of life are left in an aging heater vs buying a new one, though IMO the forced air coil type have a lower overall lifespan barring any design or quality control issues.

jaqie

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2008
the beauty of the controls I want to make is I will be able to use them with any non-electronic 110v heater I wish. I think I am going to go the way of making my own thermostatic control.

Thank you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.