Electrical Engineering jobs pay well?

diskop

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Ameesh
why dont you pick something that you like to do?

Wicked! On a similar note, my landlord is a retired EE. Man is he an ass.

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
ya do what u want to do, i am and EE major, but i see it all the time, many of my class mates hate the major and are doing it strictly for the job/pay it will bring them. its sad to see people studying something strictly for these reasons.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: ManSnake
good luck in landing a job with an ee degree these days!

Why do you say that? I'm just an undergrad but I have no trouble finding an EE related job or internship

satori

Nov 2, 1999
I remember on career day in high school, this EE guy came in and one sentence sticks in my head...

"I may not >love< electrical engineering... but it lets me do what I love."

So, that's how I always looked at my job... Most of the time it's okay (with occasional moments of sublime bliss). But, it gives me the time and financial freedom to do what I want. :)

bUnMaNGo

Feb 9, 2000
my friend just graduated summa cum lade from UCLA and is working at JPL (jet propulsion laboratories) earning the equiv of $60k/year. He's going to Stanford this fall for grad school. I have another friend who graduated from NorthWestern two years ago with a B.S. in EE and is working at Intel up in Sacramento earning $60k/year. He's going to grad school at UCLA this fall.

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: billgates380
Bling bling, if you can get hired.

definetly most Electrical Enigineers are rollin on 20's in tehre Escalade, flashing there ice and gold teeth. i think the "unnessary flaunting of money" is in htis order:

1) Electrical Engineers
2) Rappers
3) Rock Stars

SpongeBob

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2001
There's gonna be a huge increase in demand of biomedical engineers in the next 10 years. Plus, it's a cool field and you really have a chance to improve the quality of life for people.

satori

Nov 2, 1999
Actually, now is probably the best time to start your major... I remember when I first entered the undergrad EE program (~93) and the economy was sucking... We were all thinking we should've picked other majors... but, by the time we got out, it wasn't a problem anymore. We're just going through the cycles right now...

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Why do you say that? I'm just an undergrad but I have no trouble finding an EE related job or internship

internship is another story, they don't have to worry about benefits (i.e. vaction pay, 401k, insurance) if you are an intern. ee jobs are closely related to the chip sector and you know chip manufacturers aren't doing well these days, naturally they don't need that many entry-level fresh out of college ee people. a lot of people i know graduated (u of michigan) with good gpa and internship experience in ee last year are still looking for jobs 8 months later!

Stojakapimp

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2002
I'm having the same problem picking a major. I go to UCSD, and the way it works there is that if you don't declare EE soon enough, it makes it pretty tough to get into that major. SO I had to declare fairly quickly and now I'm going to be taking a lot of electrical engineering classes. So far I've had on ee class and I can't decide if this is what I love or not. It was really basic so I'm hoping that the stuff later on will be really cool. But my problem is that because I have to take these ee classes, I can't take any other "fun" classes in the near future to find out what I really love. So I'm kind of stuck

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
well, it all depends on the economic trend at the time. 4 years ago, ee/cs jobs are the hottest, now they are not, maybe in 5 years, they will be hot again, who knows.

if you want the safest jobs, then go to med school, dental school or business school. people will always get sick or have bad teeth, so doctors/dentists will always be there to make money off of you. there will always be money, so people are also going to need accountants...

but i would suggest you to pick something that you truly enjoy doing because if you are at a job that you have no interest in, even if you are making 200k/yr, you would still be unhappy.

matsuhisa

Aug 14, 2002

not if you consider $50,000 bling bling... my coworkers that recently signed with my company got paid starting $50,000... so i figure it can range from $45,000 to $55,000. that's a realistic range.

white

Nov 2, 2000
Originally posted by: fyleow

internship is another story, they don't have to worry about benefits (i.e. vaction pay, 401k, insurance) if you are an intern. ee jobs are closely related to the chip sector and you know chip manufacturers aren't doing well these days, naturally they don't need that many entry-level fresh out of college ee people. a lot of people i know graduated (u of michigan) with good gpa and internship experience in ee last year are still looking for jobs 8 months later!

Well then what is a good field? I've heard that bio tech is the future and Chemistry interests me as well but I like to stick more closely with computers and electronics. My brother graduated recently his major being CS and now he works testing games for 9 bucks an hour
rolleye.gif

how about chemical engineering? you can still do stuff with computers although it'll be more with the manufacturing side of it.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000

EE jobs closely related to the chip sector, bah

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: matsuhisa

not if you consider $50,000 bling bling... my coworkers that recently signed with my company got paid starting $50,000... so i figure it can range from $45,000 to $55,000. that's a realistic range.

Are you single? 50k for a young single person is bling bling in my book.

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
Are you single? 50k for a young single person is bling bling in my book.

Well, i graduated in december in EE. i make somewhat north of the above quote, and it's kinda tough to live well. of course, i also live right near DC and have a huge car payment on a new ride :p

I know a ton of EE's who had trouble finding jobs, but they eventually got hooked up. I had my job lined up pretty much since before the market went sour, so i was hooked up.

You really can't go wrong with EE. No matter how bad things get , electrical engineer's are always gonna be able to find some work. Definitely a good major to stick with.