Electrical Eng question

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Text

I have a dirt bike with a lead acid battery I would like to replace to lose some weight on the bike. My question is can't I just use a capacitor inasted of the battery? And how do I go about finding the correct capacitor?

Thanks

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
I can't tell what that product is - it seems to work with the battery for better output?

Edit: oops nevermind. So the ATV/Bike/Snowmobile won't work without a battery present, and this will be a substitute for that battery?

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
You can use it with a battery or without. I think it is just a capacitor in a alum box filled with epoxy. Trying to see if anyone can tell me I am wrong.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
The Bat-Pac will supply the proper voltage to the electronic and electrical components that depend on the battery's ability to hold a charge in order to function properly, most notably the headlight. The Headlight is brighter at idle, than with a good battery for most models. The Bat-Pac provides a more stable voltage than it's predecessor (the battery) at all R.P.M.'s.

Seems to me that it provides a variable load to the charging system - it loads the system to keep the voltage constant. Maybe at higher RPMs it becomes a higher load on the charging system (dissipating more power ) so instead of the voltage rising, it stays constant. Hmm.

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Originally posted by: PottedMeat
I can't tell what that product is - it seems to work with the battery for better output?

Edit: oops nevermind. So the ATV/Bike/Snowmobile won't work without a battery present, and this will be a substitute for that battery?

That is just a problem for bikes with an electric start. Once the engine is running all the lights etc will have all the power they need.