Electric Toothbrushes: Philips Sonicare vs Oral B

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I have a Philips Sonicare EasyClean toothbrush but I feel like I'm not getting my teeth as clean as I'd like, especially the inside bottoms of my teeth.

I see that the Oral B electric toothbrushes have a differently shaped head, it's round instead of the "oval" shape of the Philips. It seems like this brush head would make it easier for me to get into the nooks and crannies of my teeth but that's just a guess. I haven't seen any replacement heads for the Philips that are round.

Does anyone have any experience with both toothbrushes, or any experience with the Oral B ones?

Nov 20, 2009
I've been using the Sonicare for about 20 years now. It does a job so well that it took my dentist office 15 years to realize I hadn't actually been flossing and ask me if I was. Now, everyone's mouth of pearls is different do YMMV.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I use the double brush head on my Oral B...it feels like it gets my teeth cleaner than the single head brush...

I tried two different generic ones on Amazon...I didn't care for the first one and then 2nd one I did like but it is no longer available on Amazon...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I had a Sonicare for about 5 years. I switched to Oral B a little more than a year ago.

Oral B is better, but the battery is garbage.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
My dentist has suggested I used a Sonicare, even though I do a good job brushing with a 'manual' toothbrush. And, I would still be driving a stick shift as well, if my wife didn't hold such eccentricities in such low regard.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I've been using the Sonicare for about 20 years now. It does a job so well that it took my dentist office 15 years to realize I hadn't actually been flossing and ask me if I was. Now, everyone's mouth of pearls is different do YMMV.
Yeah it's definitely true everyone's teeth are different. I mean I brush for way longer than the suggested two minutes and even then I'll not get the bottom insides clean (I can feel that tartar/rough crap with my tongue). I guess it really comes down to my method, I must just not be getting the brush on them just right. But that's what I'm hoping a different toothbrush would help with.
My dentist has suggested I used a Sonicare, even though I do a good job brushing with a 'manual' toothbrush. And, I would still be driving a stick shift as well, if my wife didn't hold such eccentricities in such low regard.
Haha, my dad still uses a "manual" brush. I guess he's used it for over half a century so he's kind of used to it. My mom switched to electric years ago though haha.

Huh. Maybe I'll try an Oral B, especially if I could get one on sale. Maybe I'll setup a Slickdeals price alert woot.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
I switched to OralB 6 yrs ago. It does a better job of getting into the nooks and cranny because I have some pockets that are hard to get to. Add a Waterpik water flosser to my dental cleaning regimen and I get a thumbs up from my dental hygienist.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I switched to OralB 6 yrs ago. It does a better job of getting into the nooks and cranny because I have some pockets that are hard to get to. Add a Waterpik water flosser to my dental cleaning regimen and I get a thumbs up from my dental hygienist.
I picked up one of those Waterpiks off a deal on Slickdeals but I didn't like it much and returned it. I just thought it was a bit messy, and loud, though the latter isn't a big deal. But for me it was just simpler sticking with the little flosser sticks.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Had both
Oral B clearly the best.
I have used both, am an Oral B guy now, have 3 of them including one top of the line. I have replaced the batteries in all 3, the two cheap ones just a couple months ago.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I've used an Oral-B for years, and just replaced it with a new one. The new ones are much better than the older versions. (Yes, I change the heads every 6 weeks or so). I got a new one because the wife wanted one and Costco had a good deal on a pair.
The wife's dental hygnist told my wife to give up on her Sonicare, and get an Oral-B, which she did. She says it is much better and understands why I never like the Sonicare.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've used an Oral-B for years, and just replaced it with a new one. The new ones are much better than the older versions. (Yes, I change the heads every 6 weeks or so). I got a new one because the wife wanted one and Costco had a good deal on a pair.
The wife's dental hygnist told my wife to give up on her Sonicare, and get an Oral-B, which she did. She says it is much better and understands why I never like the Sonicare.
I use only Oral-B but have different models. Yes, I have 3 Oral-B's. Two low end and one high (top?), which has the clock/countup-timer separate unit. I don't know that it's worth the extra expense. The brushes are expensive. There are knock-offs on Ebay, but they aren't as good in terms of how long they stay tough and fresh. I do not replace mine every X months, guess I should, but the thing is how often and how well you use it, not so much what you use, is my impression. Flossing frequently is IMO just as important as well as proper flossing technique.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
I have used both and will agree with everyone else that Oral-B is much better. Even my regular dentist noticed after I switched to Oral-B because the wife wanted to get the Oral-B from Costco.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
at the suggestion of my dentist, i switched from manual toothbrush to the basic Oral-B 1000 because my teeth began to be sensitive to cold liquids.

it also helped that she suggested that i brush the inside gums.
i never did. :eek: I just flossed and brushed the surface and outside of the teeth.

after a couple of weeks, no more tooth sensitivity!
of course, i could have probably just brushed the inside gums with a manual toothbrush and have the exact same results.

bought replacement heads on ebay.
knockoff cross action heads 4 for $5 shipped.
they look exactly like the head that came with the unit.
2 months using the knockoffs and no problems with my teeth.

lets see what my dentist says for my cleaning early next year

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
lets see what my dentist says for my cleaning early next year
My dentist of 30+ years retired just before the pandemic. He sent my records to another dentist in my town. I decided to go to a different dentist. After I get vaccinated I'll go over and pick up my records and bring them to the dentist I want to go to (if he'll accept me as a patient). Meantime, I'm just doing my regular hygiene, which is always pretty good. No obvious issues.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Used OB for years, switch to SC couldn't be happier. So much more comfy.